Train travel Como to Milan

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30th, 2004, 11:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have already received lots of good info in the forums, but I have another question about the trains. How hard is it to get from Bellagio to Milan for a day of sightseeing? Is it worth it? Is there a time of day that is better than another?
Old Apr 30th, 2004, 12:03 PM

From the station Como Nord Borghi to Milan Centrale is just 1:18 min.

Have fun..
check trenitalia.com for schedules..
Old Apr 30th, 2004, 12:12 PM

Yes, but Bellagio is not Como Nord. I believe you would have to take a boat from Bellagio to Como, or a boat from Bellagio to Varenna and get a train from there. years ago I took a bus from Milan that went directly to Bellagio--not sure how this works now.
Old Apr 30th, 2004, 12:13 PM

But, you have to ferry to Como first, and that will take an hour. Check the return schedules closely.
Old Apr 30th, 2004, 12:32 PM
Singletail

If you take the ferry from Bellagio to Varenna the train trip from there takes 1 hr and 20 minutes to Centrale. The ferry ride from bellagio to Varenna takes about 15 minutes.

Old Apr 30th, 2004, 12:38 PM

Add a :10 uphill walk to the train station, but still the best option if you can meet the train schedule.
Old Apr 30th, 2004, 12:38 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for info. I think the ferry to Varrena and then the train to Central Milan makes sense. Does anyone know how to obtain tickets in advance for The Last Supper?
Old Apr 30th, 2004, 12:41 PM

Milan hardly seems worth it. But the (slow) ferry ride is worth it - notice how almost every stop along the way is prettier than Bellagio - how did it get such a reputation, other than for pretentious shops?

And Como is worth it for a little bit of urban change of pace. There is a funicular I haven't tried. If you do go to Milan, go to the trains station to your left upon landing rather than the one to your right. The (slow boat) ferry schedule even notes the Milan train connections - they may be synchronized with 15 min to xfer, although the fast boat would seem needed to leave any time in Milan.
Old Apr 30th, 2004, 02:27 PM

You can also take a bus from Bellagio directly to the San Giovanni train station in Como. The bus is much cheaper than the ferry and is actually a very enjoyable ride as it winds along the lakeshore through interesting little towns. From San Giovanni you can catch a train to Milan.
Old Apr 30th, 2004, 03:20 PM

If you take the ferry to Como route, remember that there are two different ferries. One--I'll call it the "express"--only makes 3 stops and takes about 45 minutes. The other--I'll call the "local"--makes many stops and takes about 2 hours.
Incidentally, when we took the train from the downtown Como station to the central station in Milan, it only took about 40 minutes.
To further possibly confuse the situation, there are two train stations in Como and two in Milan. The train that leaves from the station near the ferry goes to the station other than central station in Milan (I forget its name.) The train that leaves from downtown Como (about a 15-minute walk from the ferry) goes to the central station in Milan.