Search

train travel

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8th, 2002, 08:23 AM
Deb

train travel

Need advice on taking train from Milan to Leysin Switzerland, then on to Venice by scenic route.

Old Jun 8th, 2002, 11:15 AM
Daniel

You take a InterRegio train from Milan bound for Geneve to Aigle in the Rhone Valley, where you change for the narrow gauge rack railway to Leysin.

Old Jun 8th, 2002, 04:21 PM
Daniel

Thanks for advice....any ideas on 2 day trip from Leysin to Venice??? Would stay enroute 1 night and end up in Venice.

Old Jun 9th, 2002, 04:23 AM
Andre

Deb,<BR><BR>First of all, the train schedules you need are at:<BR>http://www.rail.ch/pv/index_e.htm<BR><BR>I think you can also purchase your international train tickets from this site and have them mailed to you.<BR><BR>The normal train route from Leysin to Venice will take you through Milan and the onward journey isn't scenic.<BR><BR>What you could do is to take part of the so-called Glacier Express route from Brig to Andermatt, then continuing to Lugano for the night. I would not recommend doing this with lots of luggage however: you would be taking 5 different trains! Journey time is just under 6 hours to Lugano. Slower connections take an extra hour (!), but with "only" 4 different trains. Remember, this is a scenic, not an express route!<BR><BR>On the web site, you can enter the following itinerary: from Leysin to Lugano via Andermatt.<BR><BR>From Lugano to Venice, the trip takes 4-5 hours, mostly with a change in Milan.<BR><BR>The faster Leysin - Milan - Venice route takes about 7.5 hours, with changes in Aigle and Milan.<BR><BR>Hope this helps,<BR>Andre

Old Jun 9th, 2002, 04:35 AM
Andre

Deb,<BR><BR>Another option would be to stop overnight in Stresa, right on the direct route from Leysin to Venice. Also, Zermatt would be an option.<BR><BR>Andre

Old Jun 9th, 2002, 04:54 AM
Andre

Deb,<BR><BR>One last suggestion (I promise...):<BR><BR>You could take the scenic "Centovalli" route via Domodossola to Locarno (about 4.5 hours from Leysin with 2 changes), overnight there and continue to Venice via Bellinzona and Milano the next day (5-5.5 hours).<BR><BR>Andre