Reload this Page >

Train to Rothenberg Germany?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 1998, 04:39 AM
Stacy

HI- I am planning on going to Rothenberg from Amsterdam. I have a Eurail pass. Does the train go to Rothenberg? I read somewhere that it can be a bit tricky getting to Rohenberg via train. Does anyone know of the best way for me to get there? Also, any budget accommodations in Rothenberg? Thanks.

Old May 22nd, 1998, 07:13 AM
Richard

Just a few weeks ago we took the train from Heilbronn, Germany to Rothenburg. No trick to it but we did have to change trains 3 times, a bit dicey as we had our bikes and all our gear with us. I don't know about Holland, but in Germany you can go to any station and get a printout of your itinerary from the ticket seller or information. While in Rothenburg we stayed at the Hotel Hornburg, just outside the wall, and the rate was 135DM with a great breakfast and a wonderful host, Martin.

Old May 22nd, 1998, 09:59 PM
Mike

Stacy, We took the train easily from Cologne to Rothenburg although we had to change trains 3 times. Can't recommend a hotel, we were travelling with kids and it was tough to find a reasonably priced place. Good luck!

Old May 23rd, 1998, 08:37 PM
Linda

Check out the German Rail schedule at http://www.bahn.hafas.de/english.html

Old May 29th, 1998, 10:04 AM
Royce

Richard, saw your response. Glad you found Hotel Hornburg to be as good as we did. Martin is great isn't he? Royce

Old May 30th, 1998, 10:30 AM
Chris Angiulo

Just a few weeks ago I took the train in the opposite direction - Rothenburg to Amsterdam!
As was mentioned earlier, I had to change three
times before reaching Amsterdam - it was my first
train trip and except for the fact that I missed my first change of trains (the train was over a half hour late) which threw off the next transfer - all went very well. I felt like I always had to know where I was enroute so as not to miss a transfer.
Rothenburg is on a rail spur - a short 15 minute trip by train to a town called Steinach - then you will be on the main rail line. Check out the German Rail site mentioned earlier - you can get detailed rail itineraries which includes times, train numbers, transfer points etc - an excellent resource. A bonus along the way between Mainz and Koblenz is that the train parallels the Rhine River and you get a great view of some of the castles!
I stayed one night in Rothenburg - at Gasthof Zur Sonne on Hafengasse 11 in the center of town.
I had a small single room with WC and shower for
65 DM! Great price but that was also off-season.
They have their own website - "www.sonne.rothenberg-
online.de" if you want to check them out. Let me know if I can be of any more help - ENJOY!