Train Timetables and Fares

May 11th, 2003, 07:42 PM
Original Poster

Train Timetables and Fares

Everyone seems to downplay the service that RailEurope.com offers but no where else on the web can I find a site that quotes me train fares, including specials that are in effect, for European international trains. Other sites offer timetables, and if you order tickets, they send you the fare in an email. But I want instantaneous gratification! Can anyone suggest another site?
May 11th, 2003, 09:56 PM

If you like paying anywhere from 25% to 80% more for a ticket than it is worth, then have at it. I usually plan my trip enough in advance that I can email one of the national rail systems and ask a simple question "How much?" Also I can usually approximate the cost closely by looking at point to point destinations within the nations I am traveling.

On the other hand, if you are not put off by paying at least 25% more for a ticket, why are you concerned what they cost??

And also, are you going to NOT go because of ticket cost once you are over there??
May 11th, 2003, 10:10 PM
Original Poster

Once again, in terms of calculating point to point fares, they seem to be the only ones who offer this instantaneous service. This is useful when deciding whether to buy a pass or not. Thanks for your reply though.
May 12th, 2003, 12:20 AM

I think the fares quoted on Raileurope are pretty close to the mark and if you find specials I wish you luck.
Where are you going? It depends on the country as to whether you think it's expensive or reasonable.
May 12th, 2003, 06:08 AM
Original Poster

That was my experience too. I find fares are within $10 - $20. I'm going to Belgium, Germany and Switzerland. Thanks for your reply!