is a hotel near Farringdon Station (St. Paul's) a convenient location

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7th, 2016, 08:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are looking at a hotel (The Rookery) near St. Paul's Cathedral (nearest tube stop is Farringdon) - how convenient will that be for visiting other tourist sites (i.e. The Tate, Westminster Abbey, the Tour)? and has anyone stayed there - thoughts and comments please.

https://www.rookeryhotel.com/
Old Mar 7th, 2016, 08:47 AM

Location is good enough though on the edge of central tourist London but the area is rather the pits IME if looking for a lively neighborhood- to me one of the less comely sterile parts of central London.
Old Mar 7th, 2016, 08:54 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Perfectly fine -- I'll assume PQ hasn't been in the area for a while

The Rookery is great. Lots of nearby restaurants etc -- will be VERY quiet on a Sunday though. Close to the Barbican for concerts/theatre/art
Old Mar 7th, 2016, 09:08 AM

It's not really that close to St Paul's. 10 minute walk or so. Barbican station is closer, but the underground lines there are not as convenient for getting to most sites. The Circle Line is a bit slow.

Area is perfectly fine.

Have a look at citymapper to see how long it takes you to get from there to where you want to go in London.
Old Mar 7th, 2016, 06:01 PM
Original Poster

thanks all, gosh I must have been tired when I wrote that - I did mean the Tower
Old Mar 7th, 2016, 08:43 PM

It is an ok location, but only just. Lots of restaurants in the area although it is likely to be a bit dead at night and weekends. I used to use Farringdon station a lot. It is ok for the city but not that great for getting around elsewhere.

There are better locations for getting around town. Their sister hotel The Hazlitt would be my preference is in a better location not far from Soho Square a lively area close to Tottenham Court Rd tube on the Central and Northern lines which is a good starting point to get you to most places relatively easily.
Old Mar 8th, 2016, 12:40 AM

Agree the location is ok. There are lots of restaurants and bars and will be lively enough during the week, quieter on the weekend.

The transit links are not great for getting around. The lines that run through it run along the north side of the central part of the city and so you will need to make a change to get to most tourist sites/locations. Or walk to the nearby St Paul's station.

Not the end of the world, but you can find more convenient locations.
Old Mar 8th, 2016, 10:35 AM

Lots of restaurants in the area although it is likely to be a bit dead at night and weekends>

this is what I mean janis by not the best neighborhood but a place largely patronized by business types - thus dead at nights and on weekends or am I and others wrong on that too?

By neighborhood I meant one where folks live and is alive night and day like Russel Square/Univ of London area not far west of here.
Old Mar 8th, 2016, 10:59 AM

Farringdon is not dead at night during the week. The area is covered in restaurants and the area by the hotel is just up the road from Farringdon station which will be busy with commuters well into the evening. It will be quieter on the weekends.

Lots of people live in the area just north of the station...my close friend being one.
Old Mar 8th, 2016, 12:21 PM

PQ -- >>or am I and others wrong on that too?<<

It will only be 'dead' on Sundays really. It is quite busy most other times - yes - even on Saturday nights. Quite a dining destination.
Old Mar 8th, 2016, 12:24 PM

Sounds like a nice place to stay- a vibrant area except on Sundays when it is dead.
Old Mar 18th, 2016, 06:25 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all, I'm thinking "dead" might not be such a bad thing if it means quiet - I'm assuming we could find something for dinner elsewhere if there aren't places nearby but would definitely be grateful for any other favorite places to stay (I will check out Hazlitts - I think I did look at it). our budget is between $200-$300/night, ease of getting around would be nice, and quiet neighborhood is fine with us.
Old Mar 18th, 2016, 06:36 PM

>>(I will check out Hazlitts - I think I did look at it). our budget is between $200-$300/night,<<

If you can get Hazlitt's anywhere near your budget -- GO FOR IT! Rates are very date specific but generally run around £200-£300 ($290-$430) per night double. There might be a special on booking.com though with a discount for pre-payment.