train tickets-Budapest to Vienna...

Jun 10th, 2003, 12:47 AM
Original Poster

train tickets-Budapest to Vienna...

Is there a web site where you can purchase train tickets for Budapest to Vienna? We are expats living in Sweden so I need the tickets to be mailed to a European address NOT an American address. Rail Europe only takes U.S. customers. Does anyone know how I can do this? I prefer to buy the tickets before we arrive in Budapest. Thanks in advance. Gina
Jun 10th, 2003, 01:03 AM

Can't you buy them in Sweden? Maybe not everywhere, but I'm sure you can buy them at large stations like Stockholm C, Göteborg C and Malmö C.
Jun 10th, 2003, 01:08 AM

Booking
If you want to book or buy train tickets from other countries than Sweden please contact
Sweden Booking
Phone: + 46 (0)498 20 33 80
Fax: + 46 (0)498 20 33 91
Internet: www.swedenbooking.com
E-mail: [email protected]
Jun 10th, 2003, 05:01 AM

Gina:

We took the train in March from Budapest to Vienna. We'd booked our tickets in advance from RailEurope and received 'voutures' for tickets good for a month (starting the day we wanted to travel) with no fixed 'reservation' associated with it.

We confirmed at the station in Budapest that this was all that was needed (our hotel was next door to the Deli Pu station so we were at the subway stop there quite frequently).

Whenever we walked by the reservation desk there was never any more than a few people in the lineup and when we spoke to the agents their English was excellant.

If I had the option to do it over again I'd have purchased the tickets in Budapest and avoided the RailEurope charges.

Hope this helps.

Z
Jun 10th, 2003, 11:13 PM
Original Poster

"Z": Thanks for your reply. It looks like we may have to just wait until we get there. Your info was helpful, Thank you. "Absurd": You should not assume that people did not check the obvious first before asking for help. I did go to the train station here in Gothenburg as well as two travel agents. You can not buy tickets that do not start in Sweden. I was hoping that maybe someone has tried to buy tickets ahead while already in Europe and could share the way they did it. Gina
Jun 11th, 2003, 05:06 AM
pep

Gina

How do you like Gothenburg? We will be there in early August for a few days. Any recommendations for restaurants with great food (price not an issue) or great local non-touristy ambience? Parts of town not to be missed?

Thanks
Jun 11th, 2003, 05:19 AM

Hi Gina:

I'd reviewed all of my scheduling options by the Austrian Railway web site (www.oebb.at), which covered the Budapest/Vienna trains via all Budapest/Vienna station options.

It does have an option to purchase tickets online, but with a limited number of stations (& my inability to speak German impacted my ability to determine why I couldn't track down a Budapest departure).

FYI - in Budapest we stayed at the Mecure Buda Hotel (very nice & inexpensive and our room had a view of the Castle Hill walls ~400m away), which was next door to the Deli Pu station (train/subway) as well as a bus/streetcar stop around the corner.

Budapest has great public transit, we had no concern what so ever about going out at night and whenever we got 'lost' (I happen to be 'locationally challenged' so get lost a lot), virtually everyone spoke excellant English & were extremely helpful/friendly.

In fact I much preferred Budapest over Vienna in all aspects (what to see, what to do, food, people).

Enjoy the trip.

Z
Jun 11th, 2003, 11:40 AM
Original Poster

Pep: We like living near Gothenburg a lot. We are about 20 minutes southwest of the city in a little town on the sea coast but I drive the children into the city for school everyday so I am there often. Some of our favorite places to eat downtown are:

Fond
Götaplatsen
Tel 031-81 25 80

28+
Götabergsgatan 28
Tel 031-20 21 61,

Fiskekrogen
Lilla Torget 1
Tel 031-10 10 05

Tvåkanten
Kungsportsavenyn 27
Rest. 031-18 21 15

If you have time take a tram to Saltholmen and then take a ferry out to one of the islands in the archipelago. Bränno is our favorite island to explore. Another fun trip is to take the ferry from Lilla Bommen (near the opera house) out to Elfsborg fastning. It?s a 17th century fortress located at the mouth of the Göta River.

If you will be visiting during August 8-16th The Göteborg Party has the streets buzzing with music, entertainment, restaurant stalls, activities and children's parties.

Have fun!

Gina
Jun 11th, 2003, 11:42 AM
Original Poster

Z: Thanks for the additional info. I have heard quite a few people say they liked Budapest better than Vienna. We will be in Vienna for just three days for a little side trip. Thanks again.
Gina
Jun 12th, 2003, 07:48 AM
pep

Thanks Gina
I'm really looking forward to it. I've read about all the restaurants you mentioned. I had homed in on 28+ but they're closed in August. But, there's other great choices.

I've been to Vienna and Budapest. You'll like them both I'm sure.
Jun 12th, 2003, 09:17 AM

I took the train from Budapest to Vienna - the office is on Andrassy - I purchased the ticket the day before I left for Vienna with no problem. I'll check on the exact address tonight and post.