Train tickets

Old May 21st, 2001, 10:50 AM
Ron

Train tickets

We hope to take train from Frankfurt to Prague and then back from Karlovy Vary back to Frankfurt - What is best way to purchase our tickets? Travel agent, direct or what and if travel agent, which ones?

Old May 21st, 2001, 11:37 AM
Ben Haines

Fodors <BR> <BR>Dear Mr Cope, <BR> <BR>Unless you're to travel on a German national holiday (4 June or 15 August, for example) I think you should just buy your tickets and reservations at the station at Frankfurt airport,or at whatever airport you use to first arrive in Europe. They'll sell you those for the westbound journey, too. That way you cut a fee to an agent, a fee which is said to be twenty percent. <BR> <BR>Please write if I can help further. <BR> <BR>Ben Haines, London <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old May 21st, 2001, 11:45 AM
Thyra

I would have to agree with Ben. We purchased tickets online through RailEurope (Though not the destinations you list, except Frankfurt) and ended up paying quite a bit more.. for reservations, handling fees etc. If you are very edgy about leaving it up to the last minute then buy your departure tickets when you arrive at your destination. For example when you arrive in Prague on Monday, get off the train, go to the ticket counter and buy your tickets for Wednesdays trip to Karlovy. Bon Voyage.

Old May 22nd, 2001, 05:40 AM
Gar

hi there, <BR>have try to find the "ticket reservation" on the web, but even as they have pretty nice information in english, the ticket selling I didnt find, hm. Perhaps You do or this site will help You: www.bahn.de <BR>have fun <BR>Gar

Old May 22nd, 2001, 06:00 AM
ellen

I have a similar question. I'm arriving at Frankfurt Airport and taking the train to Salzburg. Am I correct that I have to take a train from the airport to the Frankfurt train station and from then to Salzburg? I assume I can't pick up the SAlzburg train at the Airport. Is that right?

Old May 22nd, 2001, 07:04 AM
Katie

Ellen, You'll have to change trains in Munich or Stuttgart probably, depending on which train you choose, but not at Frankfurt a.M. Main Station. There are even some trains with two changes. It takes anywhere from 5 1/2 to 6 1/2 hours. Have a great time!

Old May 22nd, 2001, 08:45 AM
Ben Haines

Fodors <BR> <BR>For Gar: On-line ticket sales, I think for German domestic tickets only, are in German on http://ticketservice.bahn.de/bahndir...hop/index.jsp/. It has a registration system, so I didn't bother to try it. <BR> <BR>For Ellen: You're right that you have to change once. Not always at Frankfurt main station. The local line, the S-Bahn, runs from under the airport in half an hour to Mainz. From there the Blauer Enzian Express leaves at 0913: it reaches Salzburg at 1455. <BR> <BR>Some expresses for Munich or beyond leave fom the airport distant station (Fernbahnhof): <BR>Frankfurt Airport 1003, Alpenland Express, Freilassing 1602 to 1620, Salzburg 1631 <BR>Frankfurt Airport 1503, Joseph von Fraunhofer Express, Munich 1935 to 2034, Salzburg 2227 <BR>Frankfurt Airport 1903, Elizabeth Langgasser Express, Munich 2335 to 2350, Salzburg 0143 <BR> <BR>All the day trains from Mainz and from the airport that I've named have restaurant cars. <BR> <BR>On Saturdays and Sundays you take the local line to Mainz, and whence a train with sleepers and couchettes leaves at 2326: it reaches Salzburg at 0632, but to get a decent night's sleep you'd stay on board till Bischofshofen at 0720, and double back northwards to be in Salzburg at 0840 or 0844. <BR> <BR>Hourly from Frankfurt main station at 50 minutes past each hour there are trains with a further change at Munich main station, as Katie says. The changes at these main stations are quite comfortable, as there are luggage trolleys that you release with a German mark coin on every platform. There are no stairs when you wheel your way from train to train, though from some trains to Frankfurt you do take your trolley on a lift to main platform level. <BR> <BR>Please write again if I can help further <BR> <BR>Ben Haines, London <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old May 30th, 2001, 06:30 PM
Kathy

I have a question about the German trains. Does anyone know how to train from the Frankfurt airport to Vilseck, Germany. Closest big city is Nuremberg. <BR>Thanks.

Old May 30th, 2001, 06:45 PM
Ben Haines

Fodors <BR> <BR>The reference library of a city near you may have the Thomas Cook European Timetable. Table 920 shows that through restaurant car trains leave the airport at 0803 and hourly, and take 2 hours 20 minutes to Nuremberg. A similar train leaves at 0652, and a night train at 0049. Local trains run to Frankfyurt mn station, whence a buffet car train leaves at 0612: it reaches Nuremberg at 0821. <BR> <BR>Please write if I can help further. Welcome to Europe. <BR> <BR>Ben Haines, London <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old May 30th, 2001, 06:54 PM
Lou

Dear Ben from the jolly U.K., <BR> <BR>You seem to be all-knowing about train travel, and I have truly appreciated your posts. I just received my Thomas Cook timetable, and my days of chatitable donations to Rail Europe are over. I did have one question about sleeper cars. My fiance and I really enjoy taking overnight trains, with a private sleeper car. For us it is the best way to travel. However, I've always been told that you should buy reservations for sleeper cars. Is this true? I have no idea of the occupancy level of the sleepers. Most of our travel is during the summer, but we plan to do some winter travel in the UK/ Amsterdam area. Thanks... Lou

Old May 31st, 2001, 04:04 AM
Ben Hanes

Fodors <BR> <BR>Jolly. Who, us ? We're famously stiff and dull. <BR> <BR>I do agree on sleepers, and only wish I could afford private, or first class -- though often enough I find I've a compartment to myself anyway. Which reflects on the light loading out of season and away from Friday nights. A rule of thumb is that for major tourist routes such as Vienna or Paris to Rome or Florence you should book a month or more ahead from mid June to mid September, in the four days around Christmas and around New Year, and the two weeks of Holy Week and Easter week. For Friday night on any route, in that season, the same. Christmas Day and Boxing Day (St Stephen's Day) are pretty under-booked. <BR> <BR>Outside those high seasons, you use the Thomas Cook timetable that you have so wisely bought to look at public holidays on page 2, and should book any berths on the eve and morrow of each holiday. <BR> <BR>Otherwise, you'll normally find a sleeper compartment on other days, though you might feel more comfortable if you book each night about three days beforehand. As you know, much of Europe is now on a single set of computers, and in Paris you can book a sleeper from Copenhagen -- or vice versa. <BR> <BR>The cheap and attractive domestic, in-country, sleepers of Poland, Romania, Slovakia, and Bulgaria are another matter, and you ought to book those two days ahead if you can. <BR> <BR>After the marriage, you might think of the double beds that are in the sleeper sets of the expresses between Paris and Italy. You have a shower en suite. <BR> <BR>Please write if I can help further. I've taken the liberty of attaching to the e-mail version of this reply a note on getting the best out of European sleepers, though it will be old hat to you. Welcome back to Europe. <BR> <BR>Ben Haines <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> Author: <BR> Date: 5/30/2001, 10:54 pm ET <BR> <BR> Message: Dear Ben from the jolly U.K., <BR> <BR> You seem to be all-knowing about train travel, and I have <BR> truly appreciated your posts. I just received my Thomas <BR> Cook timetable, and my days of chatitable donations to Rail <BR> Europe are over. I did have one question about sleeper cars. <BR> My fiance and I really enjoy taking overnight trains, with a <BR> private sleeper car. For us it is the best way to travel. <BR> However, I've always been told that you should buy <BR> reservations for sleeper cars. Is this true? I have no idea of <BR> the occupancy level of the sleepers. Most of our travel is <BR> during the summer, but we plan to do some winter travel in <BR> the UK/ Amsterdam area. Thanks... Lou

Old Jun 1st, 2001, 04:38 AM
Ben Haines

Fodors <BR> <BR>Jolly. Who, us ? We're famously stiff and dull. <BR> <BR>I do agree on sleepers, and only wish I could afford private, or first class -- though often enough I find I've a compartment to myself anyway. Which reflects on the light loading out of season and away from Friday nights. A rule of thumb is that for major tourist routes such as Vienna or Paris to Rome or Florence you should book a month or more ahead from mid June to mid September, in the four days around Christmas and around New Year, and the two weeks of Holy Week and Easter week. For Friday night on any route, in that season, the same. Christmas Day and Boxing Day (St Stephen's Day) are pretty under-booked. <BR> <BR>Outside those high seasons, you use the Thomas Cook timetable that you have so wisely bought to look at public holidays on page 2, and should book any berths on the eve and morrow of each holiday. <BR> <BR>Otherwise, you'll normally find a sleeper compartment on other days, though you might feel more comfortable if you book each night about three days beforehand. As you know, much of Europe is now on a single set of computers, and in Paris you can book a sleeper from Copenhagen -- or vice versa. <BR> <BR>The cheap and attractive domestic, in-country, sleepers of Poland, Romania, Slovakia, and Bulgaria are another matter, and you ought to book those two days ahead if you can. <BR> <BR>After the marriage, you might think of the double beds that are in the sleeper sets of the expresses between Paris and Italy. You have a shower en suite. <BR> <BR>Please write if I can help further. I've taken the liberty of attaching to the e-mail version of this reply a note on getting the best out of European sleepers, though it will be old hat to you. Welcome back to Europe. <BR> <BR>Ben Haines <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> Author: <BR> Date: 5/30/2001, 10:54 pm ET <BR> <BR> Message: Dear Ben from the jolly U.K., <BR> <BR> You seem to be all-knowing about train travel, and I have <BR> truly appreciated your posts. I just received my Thomas <BR> Cook timetable, and my days of chatitable donations to Rail <BR> Europe are over. I did have one question about sleeper cars. <BR> My fiance and I really enjoy taking overnight trains, with a <BR> private sleeper car. For us it is the best way to travel. <BR> However, I've always been told that you should buy <BR> reservations for sleeper cars. Is this true? I have no idea of <BR> the occupancy level of the sleepers. Most of our travel is <BR> during the summer, but we plan to do some winter travel in <BR> the UK/ Amsterdam area. Thanks... Lou

Old Jun 1st, 2001, 05:10 AM
anon

"After the marriage, you might think of the double beds..." Oh, please! Get real!

Old Jun 1st, 2001, 09:35 AM
Ben Haines

For Anon: As I said, we're famously stiff and dull. <BR> <BR>Ben Haines

Old Jun 1st, 2001, 11:42 AM
Greg

Ben, <BR> <BR>You mentioned attaching a "note on getting the best out of European Sleepers". Could you post that here, or send to my email account also? <BR> <BR>My wife (we'll take the double bed!) and I are planning to travel from Paris to Rome in mid-July, and I am interested in your comments. <BR> <BR>I am planning to purchase the eight day rail pass through three counties. I know that I have to make a reservation for a sleeper compartment. I appreciate your advice to order a month out. I will do this tonight. <BR> <BR>Thanks, Greg

Old Jun 1st, 2001, 01:59 PM
Ben Haines

Fodors <BR> <BR>The note is too long for Fodors, so I'm attaching it to the e-mail version of this note. Please tell me if it won't unpack. <BR> <BR>I've added a very minor note on the Paris-Italy sleepers. <BR> <BR>As ever, please write again if I can help further. <BR> <BR>Ben Haines <BR> <BR>

Old Jun 1st, 2001, 02:25 PM
Ben Haines

For Greg: <BR> <BR>Problems. My software can't find your address. Would you kindly e-mail me, and I'll send the two notes as attachments to my reply ? <BR> <BR>Ben Haines

Old Jun 1st, 2001, 03:53 PM
Rex

Ben, <BR> <BR>I would appreciate receiving a copy of the same file. <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex <BR>

Old Jun 1st, 2001, 10:23 PM
cjevans

Ben: <BR>May I have a copy of the file too. Particularly interested in the Paris to Italy info. <BR>Thanks

Old Jun 1st, 2001, 11:14 PM
Ben Haines

Fodors <BR> <BR>It's nice to be popular. I'm sending them by e-mail. I'll greatly value Rex's comments and improvemens by e-mail. <BR> <BR>Ben Haines <BR> <BR>

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -