Search

Train Safety

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30th, 2001, 05:57 PM
Josh

Train Safety

How safe are the trains in Italy, especially 1st class vs second class (ie going from Venice to Florence)? Can you please comment on where our bags will be kept in each class? <BR> <BR>

Old Apr 30th, 2001, 07:29 PM
Rex

Your luggage will be in your direct sight (overhead or in an adjacent seat, if unoccupied) - - or if you prefer (or just can't find any other space) there is a space about the size of a telephone booth at the end of each car. Hard to tamper with luggage there because it is all piled on top of each other there. <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex <BR>

Old May 1st, 2001, 08:45 AM
elvira

Train travel is the biggest "I told you so" for packing light. If you have a rollaboard carryon or medium sized backpack that you can lift above shoulder level, you will have no trouble storing it on the overhead shelf. If you have a window seat, you can put it on the floor in front of you (leaving enough room for the person across from you to sit comfortably) and sort of knees-up on top. In second class, depending upon the train, seats face forward and backward; when the forward facing seats meet the backward facing seats, there's a space between them that'll fit a couple of pretty good sized suitcases. The last seats in the car that face the end of the car are sort of like bulkhead seats and have more legroom, and no one sitting across from you, so you can plop your luggage there. <BR> <BR>Trains are safe if you pay attention: don't leave money/cards, tickets or your passport in your luggage; lock your luggage to prevent a quick rifling (you gotta go sometime); if planning to go to the dining car, consider getting a bicyle lock (lightweight chain with combo lock) to secure your luggage to the overhead rack or armrest; don't leave your luggage when the train is in a station (easy for someone to grab and run); if sleeping in a seat rather than in a compartment, use your luggage as a pillow or lock it to the train in some way. <BR> <BR>Don't be paranoid, just careful.

Old May 1st, 2001, 01:23 PM
Temari

To weeks ago I traveled to venice, and other parts of italy by train. The coach class was quite safe, nonetheless I locked my bags, luckily there are usually a lot of people around in a car, the only danger is when you want to leave your seat. I advice picking a cabin, locking your bag (so it won't look attractive, I used the combination locks just for show). A little care should be all you need on the trains. <BR> <BR>Ciao! <BR> <BR>Good Travels

Old May 1st, 2001, 02:22 PM
vicki

I understand the above postings regarding luggage, but my travel agent here (who purports to have ridden on trains in Italy)says that the trains he is booking us on allow you to "check luggage". We are going from Rome to Florence, Florence to Venice. Are there trains that handle luggage differently? From reading all postings about luggage on trains, I get the impression that a passenger is on his own when it comes to handling luggage. Can someone please verify so I can set the travel agent straight? P.S., If it helps, we're supposed to be traveling first class on the trains. Thanks!

Old May 5th, 2001, 11:24 AM
Jan

Also, any comments on sleeping safety for woman alone? Have heard about "Jammer," which used to be sold by Magellan's. Was like a rubber doorstop that suctioned to the train compartment's glass sliding door to keep out intruders as you sleep. No longer being sold by Magellan's. Other ideas?

Old May 6th, 2001, 03:01 AM

Old May 6th, 2001, 03:56 PM
Gail

We were in Italy last fall and traveled exclusively by train and bus between Florence, venice & Rome, with lots of side trips to various spots and I never once felt unsafe. Our bags were with us all the time either in an overhead bin or stuffed between the seats. G

Old May 6th, 2001, 11:51 PM
Ben Haines

Fodors <BR> <BR>I think Italy still offers "Registered Baggage" services. You hand your bag in at one station, pay fifteen dollars, and collect it a day later (or at weekends on Monday) at the next station. This leaves you bagless for a night, and has point only if you're making many changes or stop-overs on the way. <BR> <BR>Anybody who spends a night on an Italian train ought to pay the fifteen dollar supplement for a berth in a 6-berth couchette, or the 45 dollars for a berth in a 3-berth sleeper, as these have internal locks and chains for protection against luggage thieves at night. To take a normal seats compartment and use a door jammer to keep all six seats to yourself is clearly not civilised conduct. If Jan will kindly tell us the journeys she plans I'll be glad to advise further. Holders of first class tickets or passes can buy secind class couchette or sleeper supplements. <BR> <BR>Ben Haines, London <BR> <BR>

Old May 7th, 2001, 04:48 PM
Jan

Thanks, Ben, for clarifying the safety situation. I was so clueless I assumed the sliding glass doors were on the sleeping compartments. I certainly wasn't thinking of locking out folks in a multi-person compartment if I was the only person. <BR> <BR>I will be training it from Rome to Portofina area, Portofino to Arles or Avignon, Amboise to Paris...and still am trying to figure out the travel time to understand where I'll need the overnight accommodations, etc. Appreciate any advice.

Old May 7th, 2001, 06:37 PM
Ben Haines

I'm glad we sorted the doors out. Now train times. Buffet car trains leave Rime Termini at four minutes past most hours and take five hours to Rapallo, two kilometres from Portofino. <BR> <BR>The next connections are trickier. Either Rapallo 0741, Genoa 0815 to 0856, Nice 1150 to 1200, Marseilles 1423 to various times, Avignon 1553, 1630, or similar. Or Rapallo 1501, Genoa 1541 to 1656, Nice 1958 to 2130, Avignon 0144. <BR> <BR>Then Amboise to Paris is simple. There are plenty of trains through the day, and they take two and a half hours. <BR> <BR>As ever, please write if I can help further. <BR> <BR>Ben Haines, London <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old May 11th, 2001, 06:26 AM
Jan

Thanks, Ben. Appreciate the info. The planning goes on . . . .

Old Aug 24th, 2001, 05:45 PM
Sue

Vicki, <BR>Just wondering if you have any luggage problems when you took your trains to Rome, Florence and Venice. Our crew travels pretty heavy.