Search

Train reservations and supplements in Germany and Benelux

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17th, 2006, 06:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Train reservations and supplements in Germany and Benelux

Hello!!!

I reacently bought an eurail regional pass for Germany and Benelux in 2nd class for 5 days and I want to confirm some info with you, train experts.

1) I visited www.railkey.com and it says that I don't need to pay reservations and supplements for this countries on daytime trains. żIs this info true?

2) I want to take a night train for the part Berlin-Amsterdam. I entered www.bahn.de and it says that I have NZ to Bruxelles and then IC to Amsterdam. For NZ żdo you know what is the cost of the reservation? żand what about the supplements for a 2nd class seat?

Thanks a lot!!!!!!!!
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 07:30 AM

Berlin-Amsterdam night train:
From amsterdam take train to Duisburg germany then the night train to Berlin - this is the best route - forget other way - i'm surprise the bahn.de gave this route. This is the way they would ticket you in Amsterdam- paying sleeping supplement as you pass pays train fare.
You pay no supplements on trains in Benelux or German except for Thalys trains that you aren't riding. Though there are a few ICE Sprinter trains in Germany that require reservations and maybe a supplement - the average tourist will rarely encounter one. So you can just board any train in these countries practically without reservations, which, though you can make for a few euro in any station.
In Amsterdam recently i wanted to do the night train to Berlin and the man at Schiphol train station said i'd have to go to Dusiburg - i said i wanted to go to Cologne and get the night train there. He initially balked, saying only duisburg was possible as this was the most direct routing from Amsterdam - he finally relented after i explained i wished to take an earlier train to Cologne, spend the day there then board the night train to Berlin, which serves Cologne before it hits Duisburg.
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 10:42 AM
Original Poster

Thank you very much PalQ.

I will try to do a reservation for a night train from Berlin to Duisburg and then a regular train to Amsterdam.

Thanks again!!!!
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 10:46 AM

there are hourly trains Dusiburg to Amsterdam.
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 11:00 AM

Berlin Zoologischer Garten Mo, 18.09.06 dep 00:37 3 NZ 1448
NZ 378 DB Nachtzug
Special offer Spar-Night, Subject to compulsory reservation, Bicycles conveyed - subject to reservation, Number of bicycles conveyed limited, Global price or ticket plus supplement, Sleeping-car, Couchettes, seated coach, BordBistro (only NZ 1448), snacks and beverages available from sleeping-car/couchette-car attenda, Kopernikus (only NZ 378)
Duisburg Hbf Mo, 18.09.06 arr 06:04 3

I see why the bahn site may route you differently - because this night train leaves so late - it may be more convenient to board earlier an earlier night train as the bahn site seems to prefer!
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 11:18 AM
Original Poster

Yes, I think that this way is shorter than going to Bruxelles. May be the only problem is the late hour of the depart of NZ.

Thanks for your replay PalQ. I is very appreciated!!!!!