Train reservations

Search

Train reservations

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24th, 2004, 05:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Train reservations

If I am purchasing my train ticket (for an IC train) from a ticket machine, is the seat reservation made at the time of purchase (via the ticket machine) or do I need to make it at a ticket booth through an agent? I understand on Eurostar the reservation comes with the purchase of the ticket, but I am not clear on the other. Thank you.

Old Jan 25th, 2004, 01:23 PM
ira

topping for karen
Old Jan 25th, 2004, 02:47 PM

Karen, good question. I would also like the answer.
Ira, since I am relatively new to the boards, what does "topping for Karen" mean?
Old Jan 25th, 2004, 04:23 PM

I'll answer for ira... "topping" simply means adding a new note so the whole thread will rise to the top of the list, and perhaps draw new attention to it.
Old Jan 28th, 2004, 08:09 PM

Is it ok that I pose a new question about train tickets and train reservations or should I start a new thread?

Assuming it's ok, here's my question. What is the difference between eurorail and railpass?

Thanks.
Old Jan 28th, 2004, 09:18 PM
rex

It's fine to ask your question here. You just have to remember that you put your question here, and there may be answers mixed in with answers to the question asked by Karenmc.

I'll boldly submit that neither term means anything. The term "Eurailpass" is (I think) a trademarked marketing term - - coined by the North American RailEurope group - - for their (family of) "rail pass" products.

They are sold in North America only, and make it appear that RailEurope is a seamlessly integrated "pan-Europe" rail company. It's only partially a deception. The Eurailpass and other rail passes sold by RailEurope DO indeed FUNCTION like all the countries are part of one integrated company, when in fact, each country has its own separate (government owned and operated) rail company. They simply cooperate in the sale and use of rail tickets purchased in each of the other member countries.

There are a lot of debated positions as to whether any of the "rail pass" products of RailEurope, and I am a vocal advocate that they rarely are a good purchase. They persuade you to pre-purchase much more travel than you will really need (or should want) - - in my opinion.

One universally agreed point (as far as I know) is that the web site www.railsaver.com is highly reliable for allowing you to price your own itinerary and see if ANY rail pass will save you money (its analysis will also include single country passes, and some of these CAN be purchased while you are in Europe).

In what context did you run across these terms, and does this help you understand what you might want to investigate for purchase? (or not?)

Ordinary ("point-to-point&quot rail tickets are an excellent bargain in most of Europe, and for many routes - - especially those of 5 hours or under - - train travel in Europe is great, when a car does not make sense for you and/or your fellow travelers.

You just don't (most of the time) need a rail pass to use and enjoy the trains.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Jan 29th, 2004, 01:40 AM

Meaning no disrespect, just another point of view regarding board etiquette, I think that in general, it's better to post new questions in new threads.

Asking new questions in existing threads can lead to "thread highjacking" (where there are numerous replies to the new question as well as the original, which may not be related), and is pretty common on the Asia board. The problem with that is that new questions often lead to more fruitful discussions (e.g. pros and cons of rail passes) that might be better addressed elsewhere, thus drawing attention away from the original post and "hiding" a good discussion with fruitfull answers from the board, since it isn't covered in the thread heading.

Just my two cents - it's a real problem on the Asia board, so I had to chime in.

Karenmc - sorry I can't help! I know what you mean but don't know the answer!
Old Jan 29th, 2004, 06:13 AM
rex

I won't disagree, Andrea - - it just seemed "close enough", and Karenmc will still get attention with this title, and hopefully the answers she is seeking.