Search

Train passes

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 10:55 AM
Sandeep

Train passes

hi,<BR><BR>I will be taiking the following rail trips in Europe.<BR><BR>1. Paris -Venice<BR>2. Venice -Rome<BR>3. Rome -Paris.<BR><BR>I am wondering whether I should for for a Euro Rail pass or book on www.sncf.com which provides point to point tickets.I caheked on SCNF and found that it's approx $250 (including reservation)from two persons from Paris to Venice and approximately the same amount from Rome to Paris (including reservation ),if u share a 4-berth compartment.Probably I wil spend 120-130 for Venice to Rome which is 4.5 hrs day journey.<BR><BR>Can someone recommend if this is a better option than Euro Rail pass or France'n Italy pass(available on www.raileurope.com for $209 per person for 4 days of travel but does not include any reservation cost).<BR><BR>

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 11:54 AM
xxx

There are numerous good railroad museums you could visit and not even have to go to Europe. From the sounds of this, you are enamored with staring at the inside of a rairoad car.<BR><BR>

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 11:57 AM
Liz

Try your itinerary at:<BR>www.railsaver.com to see what they come up with.

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 12:09 PM
Walter

Try www.seat61.com for some info that might be useful, his journeys start in London but leave from Paris.<BR>Regards, Walter

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 01:26 PM
xxx000

xxx, you are a total ass. For all you know, maybe Sandeep is spending four weeks in each of these cities between trips. What would you suggest? Adding taxis and flights plus 2 hour preflight time for each and spending a whole lot more? Or would you rather just sit at home too? And for what it's worth, most trains have windows and some people love watching the scenery. Just because you've never looked out a train window doesn't mean other people don't enjoy that.

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 01:31 PM
Lesli

You might also want to take a look at ricksteves.com, which does a good job of comparing rail passes vs. point to point, as well as which type of rail pass to get, given the type of travel you'll be doing, travel times between various points, etc.

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 01:44 PM
xyz

Yes, xxx is an total ___ . These are _overnight_ trains in a sleeper. Paris to Venice is around 12.5 hours and to Rome around 15hrs.

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 05:15 PM
Ellis

I am both intrigued and confused by the quote of $209 for a 4 day France'n'Italy pass. Sandeep says $209. the Raileurope website says $239. But more importantly, it lists a page where you can find the price of might train service between Paris and either Rome, Milan or Venice. The prices are between $106 "Youth T6 Off Peak" to $442 "Full Fare Adult Excelsior Single Off Peak". this was for checking a date in November.<BR><BR>Are these fares really a savings compared to riding the same night train withOUT the pass?<BR><BR>Aren't there air fares cheaper than this?<BR>