Train - Paris to Strasbourg

Jul 1st, 1999, 11:43 AM
Phil

Train - Paris to Strasbourg

We are going to Paris in September and planning to stay 4 nights before leasing a car to tour eastern France & northern Italy for a month. To avoid driving in Paris & vicinity, I am thinking of taking the train to Strasbourg, and picking up the car there. If this makes sense, can we just go to the train station, Gare d'Est, without reservations? Checking the SNCF website, there are good discounts for seniors. I'd like opinions, please!

Jul 1st, 1999, 12:42 PM
dan woodlief

Generally, just going to the station is fine. For TGV trains (the superfast ones), you are supposed to get a reservation ticket also. I am pretty certain that you can just buy these at the station too. For popular routes and times it is probably a good idea to reserve ahead. This is what I did for travelling from Bern to Paris on the day's first of 2 runs.

Jul 1st, 1999, 08:55 PM
Al

Several years ago we did as you plan to do. Instead, we took the TGV from Paris to Lyon, then after a couple days, down to Nimes where we picked up a car. Returning to Paris, we went west to Quimper in Brittany where we again picked up a rental car. Sure saved a lot of hassle and avoided driving around the Paris area.

Jul 2nd, 1999, 03:49 AM
Jay Frank

Phil:

I doubt that you'll have a problem. It's a well covered, 4 hour trip. While you're unlikely to find a TGV on this route, my (1 year old) Thomas Cook indicates that none of the trains require reservations.

Don't forget to check out the old city in Strasbourg. It has to be one of the greatest walking areas in Europe.

Jul 5th, 1999, 02:38 AM
Vincent

The replies about the Strasbourg train ticket are correct, but what I am wondering about is the "Eastern France + Northern Italy trip" : do you realize that between Strasbourg and Northern Italy there is Switzerland and 600 km ? If you want to shorten your driving, you could take the train to Besanšon, or Annecy, or Geneva. And remember that the Mont-Blanc tunnel will be closed until next spring.

Jul 8th, 1999, 03:44 AM
steve

We just took a train from Stasbourg to Paris last week. Reservations were not necessary on the train-I don't think there are any TGV trains on that route. Check the schedule and try to get a train that doesn't have many stops it's much more pleasant. By the way, Stasbourg is a very pretty city-make sure you see some of it.