Reload this Page >

Train or rent a car?

Search

Train or rent a car?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23rd, 2001, 04:00 PM
Melinda

Train or rent a car?

We are first time travelers to Italy and were planning on renting a car in Florence and driving to Rome, spending the night somewhere along the way. We are now having second thoughts and wonder if taking the train might not be a better idea. Any thoughts on this?

Old Jun 23rd, 2001, 04:42 PM
Linda

It's a toss-up, depending on your desires. Taking the train is really easy, and can be very restful. The trip is short. And you wouldn't have to worry about where to turn in the car in Rome, a city I seriously advise you not consider driving in. But, with a car, you could drive in a leisurely manner, making a stop or two along the way, in Siena or Assisi, for instance. The problem with cars is you have to know where you are going, especially if you get off the autostrada and take to the back roads. Signposting is erratic at best, and the roads can be awfully twisty-turny. Train would give you a few more hours in Rome and would be more restful, a car would give you a better view of the countryside, perhaps providing a stop in another town. Whichever you decide, you can't go wrong.

Old Jun 23rd, 2001, 04:54 PM
ellen

Last fall we rented a car at the Milan Airport for our 10 day stay in Italy. We stayed in a villa in Castellina and explored the Tuscan towns via car. When we went to Florence, we left the car at the end of a bus line and took the bus into the city. We took a quick trip to Rome by driving to Orvieto and taking the train to Rome from there. You really need a car to explore the countryside but you don't want a car in the city. It is true that highway signs are not what we are used to, and the hill roads are twisty, but in Tuscany, they were all good roads. Part of the fun - and challenge -- of traveling is adapting. I have driven by myself in France, Italy, England and Germany, and while it is easier with a navigator, it's not impossible. Be brave!

Old Jun 23rd, 2001, 04:56 PM
ellen

Last fall we rented a car at the Milan Airport for our 10 day stay in Italy. We stayed in a farmhouse in Castellina and explored the Tuscan towns via car. When we went to Florence, we left the car at the end of a bus line and took the bus into the city. We took a quick trip to Rome by driving to Orvieto and taking the train to Rome from there. You really need a car to explore the countryside but you don't want a car in the city. It is true that highway signs are not what we are used to, and the hill roads are twisty, but in Tuscany, they were all good roads. Part of the fun - and challenge -- of traveling is adapting. I have driven by myself in France, Italy, England and Germany, and while it is easier with a navigator, it's not impossible. Be brave!

Old Jun 23rd, 2001, 04:57 PM
Rex

I think you will add significantly to your enjoyment to Italy by experiencing some of its littler towns and countryside by car. but a lot depends on your overall itinerary - - how many days here and there. And VERY, very few of us "veterans" actually tried driving on our first time in Europe - - or maybe not our first time in a given country - - and especially not in Florence or Rome.<BR><BR>If your trip to Italy permits, take the train to "somewhere else", rent "there" for three days, and use those three days to see some of rural Italy (or do it on your NEXT trip to Italy). And take the train from Florence to Rome.<BR><BR>And this comes from someone who vastly prefers car rentals over train travel.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Jun 24th, 2001, 05:25 PM
zz-top

Alot depends upon how much time you'll have---if you have 3 days, then it'd be worth your while to rent a car &amp; explore Tuscany region outside of Florence as you head towards Rome. Once in Rome, you most definitely DON'T want to keep the car.<BR><BR>If it's just a matter of getting from Florence to Rome, then the EuroStar is merely an hour &amp; 1/2 ride and very easy to manage for a first timer (you can check schedule of trains on website, www.fs-on-line.com).

Old Jun 26th, 2001, 02:31 PM
Brian

Having just returned from Italy, I can attest to the shear madness of driving in Rome. Of course, not having a very detailed map was a good part of the problem. If you had more time to go from Florence to Rome, I would suggest a car. Given the time table you mentioned, the train is your best bet.

Old Jun 28th, 2001, 02:37 PM
Dayle

Melinda, if you decide to stick with the train, I would suggest Orvieto as a great overnight town. It's very simple to get off the train &amp; take the funicular (cable car) up to the city. It's a great walking city, the duomo is fabulous, cave tour very interesting, wonderful restaurants, food, art, and shopping. A very prosperous, modern town, but in ancient surroundings. Very few tourists, except around the duomo during the daytime. It seems not many people stay over. We stayed 3 nights &amp; did day trips from there. We loved it. Stayed at the Hotel Piccolomini, a 4 star and excellent. It's at the other end of town from the train station, but there are small, city shuttle buses if needed. If you walk to the hotel, it's a very gradual uphill.

Old Jul 9th, 2001, 06:02 PM
steve

I agree with orvieto. You can drop your car off there and take a train right into rome. check out auto europe for rates, but they usually have a 3 day minimum (but no extra for one way rentals)