Search

Train or Plane from Madrid to Granada

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12th, 2023, 10:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Train or Plane from Madrid to Granada

Hi all,

I just realized the train schedule for December 2023 is up so am booking more of our trip! For arrival in Spain, our AA flights from LAX to Dallas to Madrid land on a December Thursday at 9:25 a.m. Our plan is to continue on to Granada, where we will spend 3 nights. From there, we go to Sevilla for 3 weeks, and finally back to Madrid for 3 nights.

The flights are booked and too costly to change them to fly to Granada on the same ticket.

We will have checked luggage.

Would you:
1) Book a separate plane ticket on Iberia from MAD to GRX, departing at 12:00 pm and arriving at 1:00 pm? OR
2) Book a train ticket, departing at 2:30 pm and arriving at 6:00 pm?

Option 1 sounds chaotic and Option 2 sounds long. The price is the same for plane and train. Help please!

Thank you!
Old Sep 12th, 2023, 11:29 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It would be simple to me, Climate Change means take the train, you can walk about, talk to people, see the views and you get to the centre of town, even use the loo without contorting. You are in Europe now, so relax.
Old Sep 12th, 2023, 11:49 PM

That’s a long wait in Atocha for your train. We came in on that same flight in Aug and it took about 40 minutes to clear immigration and pick up our luggage, then under 30 min in taxi to our hotel near Colón.

I do hate the long wait in Atocha (no place to sit) unless I can have access to the newly renovated Sala Club Ave by purchasing a first class ticket. And even then access is limited to 2 hours before train departure, no more.

Then again it’s a pain to collect your luggage and stand in a long line to recheck for the Granada flight.
Are you gold or platinum on AA to use the premium lines?
I would splurge for a refundable first class ticket with lounge access and a meal and if arriving at Atocha earlier than anticipated, exchange your ticket for an earlier train.

We once arrived at Atocha from Barajas much earlier than expected and after 2 long flights from SEA were exhausted. Because we had purchased the "cheap" tickets, we paid a steep penalty to exchange them for an earlier train, but we did, as exhaustion had then set in, just to have access to the lounge for coffee and snacks and WiFi, a meal and a drink and a larger seat in first class on the AVE and a more enjoyable wait at Atocha and a more relaxing ride to Sevilla.
Just a thought...

But there may not be an earlier train to Granada. I haven't checked.

Last edited by Maribel; Sep 13th, 2023 at 12:38 AM.
Old Sep 13th, 2023, 01:18 AM

No earlier train that you could catch.
Old Sep 13th, 2023, 07:15 AM
Original Poster

Thank you bilboburgler and Maribel. Yes, Europe is a mindset. No seating at Atocha? Yikes!

I like the idea of first-class seats with access to the lounge. Can we stow our bags in the lounge? It sounds lovely: https://www.thetrainline.com/en-us/t...ve/first-class

Last edited by lrice; Sep 13th, 2023 at 07:29 AM.
Old Sep 13th, 2023, 07:37 AM

Well, there's plenty of seating at the eateries in the tropical garden downstairs, but once you enter the departure area for the Andalusian AVEs, seating is very limited. That's why we spring for the first class, "Premium" tickets, to use the newly renovated and enlarged Sala Club AVE lounge. It hadn't been renovated since its opening in 20 years and they spent a million euros expanding it.
Yes, you can store your bags in the lounge and have coffee, soft drinks, snack and free Wi-Fi.
Open 05:15 a 22:15, Monday-Friday
05:30 a 22:15, Sat/Sun/holidays

Last edited by Maribel; Sep 13th, 2023 at 07:41 AM.
Old Sep 13th, 2023, 06:06 PM

I'd always consider the train - my preferred method of travel.

Granada airport is quite a long way from the town. I can't recall the cost but remember I though it was expensive via taxi. I was flying from Granada to Madrid and there were no suitable trains at the time.
Old Sep 13th, 2023, 06:20 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again Maribel and Margo!

If we are first class passengers, can we store our luggage in the lounge or somewhere in inside the station and go walk around Madrid if we have time?

We will have 5 hours between our arrival at MAD and our departure from Atocha.
Old Sep 13th, 2023, 11:32 PM

Yes, I think so, or....since Premium ticket holders are only allowed into the lounge two hours prior to the train departure, if you want to explore the tropical garden and sit there to have something to eat or drink, I would do that before entering the lounge, especially if you have 3-4 hours to wait. That would be a very long wait for me.
But downstairs in the tropical garden area, you'll need to keep your bags with you.
Since the Atocha bombing, the luggage lockers have been removed from the station, actually all Spain train stations, for security reasons. That's. why many private luggage storage facilities have opened in the area around the station.
https://www.esmadrid.com/en/tourist-...cion-de-atocha

The Granada airport is indeed away from town, but there are buses timed to meet the planes.
From aena.es
"The Granada-Aeropuerto bus line connects with the city centre, located 17 kilometres away, with strategic stops in places like Avenida de Andalucía, the bus station, Gran Vía de Colón and Paseo del Violón, next to the Palacio de Congresos. The full journey lasts approximately 45 minutes."
I've taken this bus and have also taken a taxi. Taxi fare is now 30 euros during the day and 35 late at night.
The bus fare is cheap, 3 or 4 euros.
Old Sep 14th, 2023, 01:14 AM

Meant to add, to enter the departures area for the southern AVEs on Level 1, or Planta 1, you will need to pass through security called the Control de Equipajes or Luggage Control. Your luggage and hand bags will be screened but not your body. This takes just a few minutes. Once inside, the Sala Club is tucked away to the right, and again, is only available to Premium ticket holders, two hours prior to departure, and those with tickets for the luxury tourist trains like the Al Andalus Express and the Transcantábrico.
Inside the lounge there will be attendants and a screen announcing the arrivals and departures.

More photos
Salas Club AVE Renfe ? MO2 Arquitectura + Diseño

I think, actually, that it was during Covid that the consigna or luggage storage in Atocha was suspended. I can't remember exactly. That's why several luggage storage services have been opened within walking distance of the station, like this one on Calle Atocha 86, about 3 or 4 blocks up the street.
https://lockerinthecity.com/en/lockers/madrid/atocha/

After a tiring transatlantic flight from the West Coast, connecting through DFW, when we can't fly on to another Spanish city on the same ticket from T4, when the wait is just too long (even though we have access to the VIP lounges in T4 and T4S), we've made the 30-minute taxi ride to Atocha and have sprung for Premium tickets that are fully exchangeable. We've just pamper ourselves after that long haul from SEA and enjoy the larger seat, the quieter ride, the food/drink service provided at our seats, the VIP lounge. We've done this on the AVEs, as Renfe's AVLO is their low cost train that doesn't provide these services.
Old Sep 14th, 2023, 06:33 AM
twk

I would probably fly. If you were starting with a clean slate, the choice would be obvious, but, even with having the recheck bags, I don't think getting to my final destination at 6:00 p.m., when I have the possibility of getting there at 1:00 p.m., would be feasible. I like train travel, it just doesn't look very attractive on this trip. But, if you are going to do it, you probably want to splurge for a class of ticket that will get you lounge access as Maribel suggests.
Old Sep 14th, 2023, 07:54 AM

I didn't want to muddy the waters, but I would actually fly, but I'm not you, Lrice.
It´s just that 4+ hour wait in Atocha that gives me pause, especially since access to the Sala Club is limited to 2 hours prior to departure. I'm just beat when flying into Barajas from the West Coast, even though in DFW we can rest a bit in the Centurion Lounge until that very late AA flight to MAD. But on arrival at Barajas, I just want to get to my final destination ASAP.

Do you have access to the priority lines of Iberia? I have Platinum status on AA and Sapphire status on One World, which gets me through the priority check-in. Also if you have One World Sapphire status, it allows access to the Iberia Sala Dali VIP in T4 after security, which is where we rest between connecting flights. When flying to the US in business, we also have Fast Track.

But only you can decide what's best for you and your family.

Last edited by Maribel; Sep 14th, 2023 at 07:57 AM.
Old Sep 14th, 2023, 10:43 AM
Original Poster

We depart LAX at 9:00 am and are on the first flight out of DFW, which departs on American Airlines at 5:15 pm. We have a 2-hour layover. There is sometimes a later flight on Iberia out of DFW, but not on our travel date of December 6.

We don't have any special statuses to help with priority check-in or fast lanes through security at Barajas. As long as the flight from DFW is on time, is 2.5 hours enough time to "depart" the airport and then check back in? I am thinking it will take an hour to go through passport control and get our bags, and 90 minutes to check in at Iberia.

If this were LAX, I would go for it. But I know LAX very well, speak the language, etc. I checked the DFW-MAD flight on FlightAware and it has been more than 10 minutes late 5 times in the last month. Hmmm...

I checked first-class train tickets and they are the same price as the MAD-GRX flight on Iberia. So that's good news! I agree that the 5 hours between arrival at MAD and departure by train from Atocha is a looooong time.

How do I check Renfe for a train ticket that might have a connection in Cordoba or someplace but leave earlier?
Old Sep 14th, 2023, 03:09 PM

When we came in to Barajas in late August, it only took 40 minutes to get through immigration (passport control), move from TS to T4 and get our bags. as the situation in the immigration hall was less. chaotic---now with separate entrances for EU passport holders and non. It had taken longer in the past, but our flight arrived at 9:40 (it was the later Iberia flight rather than the American one from DFW).

I think 2.5 hours is enough.

The Madrid to Córdoba to Granada connection won't work, unfortunately. There´s a Madrid Atocha to Córdoba AVE that departs at 1210 and arrives Córdoba at 2:06 and another than departs at 12:50, arriving at 2:55, but from Córdoba to Granada you would have to wait until the 4:30 departure that arrives Granada at 6:07..

Granada has far fewer trains from Madrid Atocha than Madrid Atocha to Córdoba or Sevilla.
Old Sep 15th, 2023, 07:24 PM
Original Poster

Closing the loop! I gave the choice with all of these details to my husband and he voted for slow travel via train. So first-class tickets are booked! I will report back about how it goes.

Thanks so much for all of the input, information and support.
Old Sep 15th, 2023, 07:39 PM

Sounds like a good plan, Irice. If I had a long wait in/near Atocha, I'd wheel my case to a nearby cafe, sit in the sun and order something tasty (or celebratory). It may well be that the time passes more quickly than you anticipate.

We found taking a train from Atocha station a tiny bit confusing the first time we did it (compared with other train stations) so allow yourself plenty of time to get to the correct platform. My daughter and I visited Madrid and Andalusia in December just pre-Covid and had a wonderful time. The weather was excellent. Enjoy yourselves!
Old Sep 15th, 2023, 11:27 PM

The taxi ride from T4 to Puerta de Atocha will take about 30 minutes, with a flat fare of 30 euros.

The AVE to Granada will leave from Planta Primera (Level 1) as does the AVE to Sevilla. Level 1 is where the Sala Club lounge is located, tucked away to the right after you go through security, where your luggage and handbags will be checked. On the Planta 1 map, it's marked as 49.
https://tripguides.info/wp-content/u...-de-Atocha.pdf.

In the tropical garden in the middle of the station, there are cafés. See the options on the map above, level 0.

If you do decide to take a walk outside the station (hopefully you'll hit a sunny day when you arrive in December) and want to store your bags, this, "Store Your Bag" facility is actually the closest luggage storage facility to the station, closer than the one I mentioned in post #10. It' on Calle del General Lacy 4, and just down that street, at number 14, you have one of Madrid's great tapas bars,Bodegas Rossell.

https://www.stowyourbags.com/en/shop...tocha-station/
Bodegas Rosell - Carta de comida
Old Sep 16th, 2023, 10:58 PM
Original Poster

Thank you!

Transportation to Granada - DONE
Granada itinerary - DONE
Onto transportation to Sevilla
Old Sep 17th, 2023, 12:47 AM

From Granada to Sevilla, I've taken both the bus, when they were working on the high-speed rail line between the two and there was no train service, and the train.
Renfe now operates only 4 direct AVANT trains per day that take 2 hours, 30-44 minutes.
The others have a train change in Antequera, from an AVE to an AVE.

It will be awhile before they load the fares for December, so just check back from time to time. I see no fares loaded after October 16.
Because Renfe doesn't have competition with the French OUIGO or the Italian IRYO on the Granada-Sevilla route, they take their sweet time these days in loading fares.

The AVANT train fares remain steady, so there's not the case of the early bird gets the worm with the AVANTs. The AVANT fare is €47.20.

You may find the bus departures more convenient. The direct buses (not all are direct) take 3 hours and the fare is €26, but because I'm an Alsa Plus member (60+) I get a discounted fare of €21. And my tickets can be canceled or changed up to 2 hours prior to departure.
https://www.alsa.com/en/web/bus/alsaplus

For schedules, www.alsa.es
Old Sep 28th, 2023, 06:25 AM

2nd option

I recommend the second option. it may seem long but it will not take you much longer than by plane considering that the airports are far from the city center.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -