Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Train or Car Rental From Barcelona to Girona?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3rd, 2009, 08:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking for some advice for visiting Girona and the surrounding area in early December. I have train information, and know about hotels but I'm wondering if it's better to rent a car in order to visit the area surrounding area as well. If you've made this trip, which towns would you recommend and how much time would be ideal for exploring the area?
Old Nov 3rd, 2009, 09:19 AM

I went by car but it is a nightmare to find parking, Gerona is a walkable place, ( with up and downs I am afraid) I would take the train visit Gerona and then if I wish to go further rent a car.
Old Nov 3rd, 2009, 09:27 AM

Hi Stricky it seems I am answering little by little in one of more posting by you, what is near
Gerona is a famous little town with old spas, called Caldas de Malavella there we have spent great days in old fashion spas, the real ones, with dinner and lunch included...so much fun. All kind of massages old fashion and a pool with thermal waters.
I guess that is the name of the town, when we were there there were two old spas may be now there are more. The most famous mineral water that is delicious comes from this area.
Actually the town is called the Vichy of Catalonia.
Old Nov 3rd, 2009, 09:49 AM

I would take a train to Girona (the road from Barcelona to Girona is not very interesting) and would definitely rent a car after visiting the town. There is a lot to see in the area : Dali's castle at Pubol, Besalu, the lake of Banyoles, the Costa Brava (the road from Tossa de Mar to Lloret de Mar is very scenic) , La Bisbal (ceramics), Pals (medieval village, Olot (volcanoes), Empuriès (Greek and Roman ruins, etc...
Old Nov 14th, 2009, 10:16 PM
Original Poster

I appreciate all your recommendatins. I will take your collective advice and pick up a car once I reach Girona. And thank you Graziella for answering all my questions and helping me plan our first trip to Spain!