Train or car in France?

Search

Train or car in France?

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2004, 12:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Train or car in France?

Having never been in France before and not know ing the language is it better to travel by rental car or should we use the train.
Old May 20th, 2004, 12:51 PM

Do not drive in Paris. Repeat do not drive in Paris. As one guide book said "Unless you are ruthless, don't bother getting behind the wheel."

The train system in France is very good, the TGV are fast - stick with the train.
Old May 20th, 2004, 12:58 PM

I agree that there is no need to drive in Paris, but if you're going to other parts of the country it can be fun to have a car to drive around and explore the countryside and small towns.

If you're just wanting to get from point A to point B, then by all means take the train.

Not speaking French shouldn't be any problem as far as driving there, although I would advise familiarizing yourself with the common road signs.
Old May 20th, 2004, 01:04 PM

It depends on what kind of trip you are taking. Certainly you wouldn't need one in Paris or any other major city, but if you want to go exploring in depth in the Loire Valley or the Dordogne or Provence or Normandy or Burgundy or any one of the other lovely rural regions of the country, then a car is a great advantage.

Language should not figure into the equation if you can learn some basic international road signs and the French words on them. The French system of directions is different from in the US as well - you don't follow route numbers, but rather signs for intermediate locations along your route (which I find easier than our own system).

The train system is excellent also, though that would probably require more knowledge of French in the end.
Old May 20th, 2004, 05:22 PM

Trains are easiest overall, but if you choose to explore the countryside, you could rent a car and only drive locally. That worked out well for us in Provence. I believe car rentals are at all the major train stations. (We picked up a car in Avignon).
Old May 20th, 2004, 06:48 PM

I think we require some more information to answer this question. This is like saying -- should we drive in NY? obviously this is a much different question than should we drive in NYC?

The people in France are pretty crazy when it comes to driving. I drove in Italy and the drivers have the same mindset -- no turn signals, drive really really really fast, cut each other off, etc. If you are not an aggressive driver or use to driving in a big city...than I would not recommend it.

As some of the other posters said, there really is no reason to get a car in Paris but it could be useful in the South of France or maybe some of the other cities.

If you plan on renting a car, make your plans in advance. The cars in europe are 99.9% manual shift. You can get an automatic but you should book this while you are still home.
Old May 20th, 2004, 08:07 PM

Another factor is the size of your party. Three or more travellers will probably find it cheaper as well as more efficient to rent a car in the rurual areas.
Old May 20th, 2004, 08:24 PM

On our very first trip to France, we leased a Peugeot (automatic). We drove all over France for a month and had a wonderful time. We visited places we never could have seen if we only used the train. We've leased nearly every time since.

My husband drove in Paris at both beginning and end of the first trip and had no trouble (unless I was giving him directions). We would not get a car in Paris again because of the expense of parking and the excellence of the public transportation system.

If you're only in the city, skip the car because it is just wasted money. If you want to explore the countryside, don't be afraid to drive. We use D and N routes instead of the Autoroutes and people drive much more sanely on the back roads. It's prettier too.

Get a good map like the Michelin Tourist and Motoring Atlass for France. Inside (besides excellent maps) you will find all the French road signs and you should become familiar with them.

France is signposted quite well except for a faint proclivity to put the signage after the turn, but you learn to look ahead.

If you are staying 17 days or longer, lease a car instead of renting. It's less expensive. Lease it from the U.S. since that is even less expensive. You will pay extra for an automatic but they are widely available despite advice to the contrary. We use Peugeot and they have 24 hour roadside assistance that has proven excellent. I suspect Renault has a similar program.

Quite frankly, we find French drivers to be far more polite than American ones. I've never seen road rage in France. They do drive fast but they don't talk on their cell phones while driving. (It's illegal so don't you do it either.)

We've driven on every trip except specific visits to Paris. Yes, the trains are great, but no, they don't go everywhere.

Have a great trip.
Old May 21st, 2004, 05:57 AM

We rent cars all the time in France and other European countries. Many times we have thought of using the train and then generally find out (even for just 2 of us) it is cheaper to rent a car. However, we can both drive a manual transmission and that brings costs down considerably. It takes 2 people to drive a car in Europe. One to navigate and one to drive. The advice about purchsing a good map is essential. If you plan to go anywhere other than to major cities (in which case you wouldn't want a car anyway) buy the most detailed map you can find. Rent the smallest car you can conceivably live with. Parking is tight many places and gas is very expensive. If you can rent a diesel it will also keep your costs down. We enjoy the freedom a car gives us and haven't noticed any difference between France and the US in driver courtesy.
Old May 21st, 2004, 12:51 PM

Have driven in france past 14 years - drivers do give extra courtesy to foreign drivers ( I have nationality sticker on car) even a bus driver has stopped to help me find an hotel in Nantes. French countryside is magic - can only appreciate the sounds and smells by car. Learn 'Bonjour' and 'Au revoir' when in the local shops - you will hear it often.
Old May 21st, 2004, 07:14 PM

I agree with SalB: having a car lets you do and see more than if you take the train. Consider how fast the TGV goes--you barely spot something out the window and you've gone past it. Also, having a car makes for easier luggage-handling, especially with the new security issues. On each of our trips we've always felt that the trip started when we picked up the car and took off.