Reload this Page >

Train or Car from Paris to Fussen

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9th, 2000, 06:06 PM
serena

Hi <BR>Can someone help us out with this?Cost and time wise would it be better for a family of 3 to take the train or rent a car from Paris to Fussen and back again to Paris.What's the distance (km) from Paris to Fussen if one has to drive? <BR> <BR>thanks for any help <BR> <BR>serena

Old Mar 9th, 2000, 06:42 PM
Ed

About 8-1/2 hours of non-stop driving. A very long day. Probably 80-900km (something over 500 miles). <BR> <BR>You'd have to do some checking on prices. Car rates tend to vary a great deal from time to time. Likely the car will be less expensive. You'd also have better opportunity with the car to see more in the castle area. (See www.twenj.com/bavarianeu.htm) <BR> <BR>Ed <BR>Rome.Switzerland.Bavaria <BR>www.twenj.com

Old Mar 10th, 2000, 06:21 AM
Paulo

Travelling by train isn't a piece of cake either ... unless you allow for arriving in Fussen late at night or you leave Paris very early (before 8am, 10 hours travel, with a train change) the train trip should take anywhere from 10 to 13 hours, with 2 to 4 train changes One option would be to take the direct sleeper train from Paris to Augsburg and from there find your way to Fussen (either by train or bus). On your way back, you may also find your way to Augsburg and take the direct sleeper from there. <BR> <BR>If your only interest in Fussen are the castles ... I would leave it for another opportunity and tour the Loire valley instead. It doesn't pay to make such a long trip back and forth and spend a day or two in the area. If, on the other hand, you have some 5 days available, I would stop somewhere in between (maybe Reims) at least on one of the legs. <BR> <BR>Regrading costs, I doubt that the car will come out cheaper, Ed. Once you add the rental/insurance/etc costs with gas and tolls ... Anyways, if you opt for travelling by night, bys saving two hotel nights in Paris there's no doubt that the train option will come out much cheaper. <BR> <BR>Paulo <BR> <BR>

Old Mar 10th, 2000, 08:02 AM
Rex

I guess your e-mail address signifies that you are coming to Europe from Singapore. Perhaps that makes the distance from Paris to Fussen seem small by comparison. <BR> <BR>But I agree with Paulo - - if you don't have 3-5 days, it's a long way to go to see one (or a few) castle(s). Now exploring your way across Germany is another thing altogether. I might recommend that a hybrid train/car rental could make the most sense. You can get a nice dinner-time train from Paris to Baden-Baden (brief change in Strasbourg). From there you can make a great trip across Germany - - and see so much along the way. <BR> <BR>And it might be better to fly home from Munich than to head back west again - - by car OR train, either one! <BR> <BR>Finally, for any and all driving distances, the website www.cwlease.com is hard to beat. Alternatively, if you are driving FROM Paris, the website www.iti.fr will calculate the tolls for you. There are no tolls across Germany to Fussen. <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex