train or bus from Siena or Orvieto

Old Nov 5th, 2000, 02:13 PM
donna t

train or bus from Siena or Orvieto

We've been advisied by this board not to drive into Rome to drop car before we get there. We can drop auto in Siena or Orvieto.
which is best, and should we take train or bus.

Old Nov 5th, 2000, 11:25 PM
Paulo

Train rides from Siena to Orvieto take from 2 to 2 1/2 hours and call for a train change in Chiusi. If I had a car, though, and could drop it in Orvieto I would keep it. The nonstop drive to Orvieto would call for about 1:15 hours but one could stop in Montepulciano (Pienza, Chianciano Terme or else) enroute.
Paulo

Old Nov 6th, 2000, 02:39 AM
Donna T

Thanks again Paulo cound not find info
anywhere, but knew you would come thur..
We will drive to Orvieto, Do you know what train line and if there is an web site where I can obtain schedules.

Old Nov 6th, 2000, 03:10 AM
Paulo

I haven't been able to connect to the FS site in the last couple of days ... Out here from Brazil I get a "unable to locate server" message back. Anyway, the address would be
http://orario.fs-on-line.com/fsbinx/fsqueryx?lang=en

For the time being, I'm using the German Rail site as a reference (slight schedule changes may apply for the summer season next year)
http://bahn.hafas.de//bin/db.s98/query.exe/en

If you plug in Siena and Orvieto, you'll get the following departure (arrival) times:
6:21am (8:22am), 8:42am (11:59am), 10:12am (12:26pm), 12:20pm (2:26pm), 1:54pm (4:26pm), 3:58pm (6:26pm)

Paulo

Old Nov 6th, 2000, 03:26 AM
Paulo

Oh ... to Rome from Orvieto you'll have to plug "Roma Termini" in! This will give you a train every hour or so, with the trip taking approximately one hour.
Paulo

Old Nov 6th, 2000, 06:14 PM
donna t

Paulo...Grazie again found train info
and now I'm all set..so you will hear from me after the trip. Will return 30/11/00, and will post results.
Oh yea been meaning to ask, How did you get so knowledgeable? We're doing Germany and Prague in March,hopefully you can lead me in the right direction again.