Search

Train- Nice to Turin?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16th, 2013, 04:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Train- Nice to Turin?

Have looked through the forum, but hard to find an answer to this-

We'd like to take the train from Nice to Turin. I have read about the trains having 2 stops. Someone said there were trains with only the stop in Cuneo. I can't seem to find it on either the French or Italian train websites. Not sure if it's because of going from one country to another, or maybe because they're regional/local trains.

At any rate, does anyone know if we can travel with one stop? Then I'll want to know where the timetable info etc is! Thanks
Old Mar 16th, 2013, 04:51 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
You can, but the time might not be convenient. You could take a train from Nice to Ventimiglia and there is a train at 15:33 from Ventimiglia to Torino Porto Nuova (train #10171 - R train - travel time 4 hours). There is also one at 17:22 (train #10173). You can see these trains on Trenitalia by searching Ventimiglia and Torino. Enter a date within 7 days if you want to see prices. You should be able to pull up the Nice/Ventimiglia on the French site.

Trains that depart Venitmiglia, change in Cuneo to Torino only take 3 hours.
Old Mar 16th, 2013, 07:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, ky. Splitting it into 2 parts- duh. Course I wasn't sure what the cities were. The 4 hr ride from Ventimiglia to Turin- looks like only second class. Kind of a long ride for second class? Is this a scenic ride? And I'm wondering if the 4hrs is because it stops more often than the one going through Cuneo?

When I checked the sncf site for the Nice to Vintimille part- it sends you to Rail Europe- funny. So I just used the French to check the times/prices.

Goal is to come from a place we would like to spend time in, and travel to Turin easily. Didn't know Nice would be a challenge- meaning not a straight shot. (By the way, we're meeting our daughters in Turin, and after spending time there, then to Milan...that's why we wouldn't be coming from Milan.)

Anyone, any suggestions on other towns to visit instead of Nice?
Old Mar 16th, 2013, 08:09 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
>>>When I checked the sncf site for the Nice to Vintimille part- it sends you to Rail Europe- funny.<<<

You must have selected USA as your country. Leave it on the French site, but basically trains depart at least hour to Ventimiglia and cost about 7€. Travel time is under an hour.

All of these trains are regional trains whether you switch in Cuneo or not. Regional trains don't have amenities and often have only the one class (I don't see a 1st class on the Cuneo train either). Basically just a way to get from point A to point B.

You don't want to buy the Italian legs in advance as there are more restrictions for R train tickets purchased online. There is no reserved seating and no discounts so just buy at the station. You must validate these tickets before boarding.

>>>And I'm wondering if the 4hrs is because it stops more often than the one going through Cuneo?<<<

If you want to see the stops, on Trenitalia click on the i beside the train next to regionale or regionale veloce and the list of stops will appear.
Old Mar 17th, 2013, 01:51 AM

All train connections from Nice to Cuneo, either via Ventimiglia or via Sospel: http://telechargement.ter-sncf.com/I...m-27-82614.pdf
The Nice resp Ventimiglia - Cuneo leg is extremely scenic (through the gorges of Roya and Bevera Valleys and through the mountain resort town of Limone Piemonte.
Nice dp 8.37, 10.25, 12.25, 14.25, 16.25, 18.36; 4 hrs journey, change at Ventimiglia resp Breil and Cuneo. These changes are very easy: the stations are small and the ways from one train to the other are short.
For a comprehensive timetable presentation, open http://www.sbb.ch/en/home.html enter from Nice-Ville to Torino via Tende and click on the "later" bottom and the "show all details bottom".

BTW: Nice - Torino is the first leg of the most scenic train itinerary across the whole Alpine Arc:
Nice - Limone - Torino - Aosta - Pre St. Didier - Courmayeur - Chamonix - Martigny - Montreux - Gstaad - Spiez - Kandersteg - Brig - Glacier Express - Samedan - Scuol-Tarasp - Nauders - Mals - Meran - Bolzano/Bozen - Brixen - Bruneck - Toblach - Lienz - Spittal - Villach - Jesenice - Bled - Nova Gorica - Sezana - Koper.