Train - Milan to Varenna

Search

Train - Milan to Varenna

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30th, 2004, 08:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Train - Milan to Varenna

I have read that the train stops at Varenna for only a short time - about a minute. Are there other stations between Milan and Varenna - if so what is the name of the station before it - we need to be prepared to get off the train quickly.
Old Jul 31st, 2004, 12:24 AM
Val

Sorry I don't have a reply but as we are planning on making the same journey I do hope you get some replies.
Old Jul 31st, 2004, 01:12 AM

Trains leave from Milano Centrale about every two hours for Varenna-Esino. The trip takes about an hour and 20 minutes.

There are usually two stops prior to Varenna: Monza is the first followed by a stop in Lecco. The time between Lecco and Varenna is usually (depending on which train you are on) about 20-25 minutes.

Just before you arrive in Varenna the train goes through a short tunnel. If you keep your eyes open you shouldn't have any trouble and you won't miss the stop in Varenna, especially if you sit on the left side (facing forward) of the train; the Varenna station is on the left side as are the best lake views which begin in Lecco.
Old Jul 31st, 2004, 05:55 AM

They will leave you enough time to get off. 10-15 minutes after Lecco, move towards the doors so that you are standing by them when the train stops in Varenna (stops are often/usually announced in advance, and you can keep an eye out for the white-on-blue sign as you come into the town). You'll be in plenty of time to hop off.

Also, you can always ask somebody. They may not speak English, but if you say "Varenna?" they'll know what you're after.

best regards,
Deirdré Straughan

http://www.straughan.com
Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 07:24 AM
GAC

On the trenitalia website, you can see the number of stops for each train by clicking on the train number.

www.trenitalia.com