Train from Warnermunde to Berlin

Old Dec 5th, 2019, 12:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Train from Warnermunde to Berlin

We are returning from Cruise at port in Warnermunde. Need basic info on train to Berlin. How far from ship port to train station. How difficult to figure out train schedule since we do not read German? Appreciate all info! Thank you
Old Dec 5th, 2019, 01:01 PM

You can plan your train trip a bit now - look at www.bahn.com, which is the German railways website in English. It is good for the whole continent and has only slightly less functionality than the German version. If you plug in your starting address it will also give you basic information about getting to the station. Be sure to use the right spellings - your starting point is "Warnemünde" (or "Warnemuende" if you don't know how to do the Umlaut (i.e. the two dots) on the u), not "Warnermunde". I think it's around 3 hours from ship to Berlin. It's easy to catch trains in Germany, and www.seat61.com has more information about doing this.

Good luck and there will be many people here on Fodors who can walk you through catching trains in Germany.

Lavandula
Old Dec 5th, 2019, 01:11 PM

https://www.whatsinport.com/Warnemunde.htm

Also this tells you about your options when you get to port.

Some basic terms to help you out - Hbf is the abbreviation for Hauptbahnhof (main train station). You will need to look at a map to determine which station in Berlin is the relevant one but the big one is the Hauptbahnhof.

Lavandula
Old Dec 5th, 2019, 08:19 PM

Warnemünde station is currently closed and under renovation until May 2020 - also to allow step-free change from the cruise port to the platforms.
If your ship sails in after May 2020, you just walk 5 minutes to the station.
There will be direct InterCity connections to Berlin every two hours, and the trip will take 2 1/2 hours.
These long-distance trains should be booked in advance to get lower fares. But you can only book 3 months in advance.
Since Warnemünde station is a fairly small terminus station, I will not be hard to find the right train.
If you don't know which train you should commit on, you can either get a more expensive flexible ticket to hop on any next train. Or allow some time in Warnemünde to explore. It has a pretty picturesque small old town, and the long beach promenade with many cafes, restaurants, quirky shops etc.

If you arrive before May 2020, it will be a bit more complicated, And require a longer walk (10 minutes, more or less) from the cruise port to Warnemünde Werft station, which serves as a temporary end of the line as long as Warnemünde station is still under construction.
The direct InterCity connections won't yet be available then, so you'd have to take a commuter train (at least every 30 minutes) to Rostock Hbf to change there to any RegionalExpress to Berlin (every 2 hours).
Old Dec 6th, 2019, 02:41 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Momburd View Post
We are returning from Cruise at port in Warnermunde. Need basic info on train to Berlin. How far from ship port to train station. How difficult to figure out train schedule since we do not read German? Appreciate all info! Thank you
Are you absolutely certain the cruise ship is not docking at Rostock?
Old Dec 6th, 2019, 03:20 AM

The cruise terminal of Rostock is in Warnemünde.

https://www.rostock-port.de/en/cruis...se-center.html

I think the large cruise ships would be difficult and time consuming to navigate up to Rostock.
Old Dec 6th, 2019, 01:13 PM

If you look it up on bahn.com there is a replacement bus for the short trip from Warnemünde to Warnemünde Werft (a 2 min journey).

Don't worry, Momburd, there will be lots of people doing the same thing as you with the trains, or else take a bus to Berlin with the mob. You will be OK.

Lavandula
Old Dec 6th, 2019, 01:24 PM

You can purchase tickets 6 months in advance
Old Dec 8th, 2019, 07:44 AM
Original Poster

How could I find out when this train will definitely be available? We need tickets for May 31, but as we know construction dates are never on schedule! ��
Thanks
Old Dec 8th, 2019, 07:49 AM
Original Poster

Thank you! Really appreciate your information! We were hoping to skip train and do a taxi type transportation, but they are extremely expensive.
Old Dec 8th, 2019, 07:54 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for directions to train, if construction is not completed by our travel date.
Old Dec 8th, 2019, 08:02 AM

"How could I find out when this train will definitely be available? We need tickets for May 31, but as we know construction dates are never on schedule!"

It's not a huge and complex construction project like the new Berlin airport. Smaller projects like this tend to be pretty much finished on schedule in Germany.

You can go to the German Railways website www.bahn.com and already book tickets for the direct Intercity trains from Warnemünde to Berlin on 31 May.

Tickets start from 20€ or 30€ for 1st class.

Cowboy 1968 wrote:

"These long-distance trains should be booked in advance to get lower fares. But you can only book 3 months in advance."

It used to be 90 days until 1-2 years ago, but now it is 180 days.

https://www.seat61.com/Europe-when-d...kings-open.htm

Last edited by BDKR; Dec 8th, 2019 at 08:08 AM.
Old Dec 8th, 2019, 12:34 PM

>How could I find out when this train will definitely be available? We need tickets for May 31, but as we know construction dates are never on schedule! ��
>Thanks

Even if the project drags on until May 31 you can still buy a train ticket, catch the bus put on by Deutsche Bahn and continue on by rail when you get to the next station. And the timetable will only change in a very minor way - the trains from Warnemünde Werft onwards will probably not change, only the leaving time of the bus (or later the train) from Warnemünde. Do a dummy booking with www.bahn.com (i.e., go through the motions, just don't pay). You can go through the whole procedure without paying and it won't commit you to anything, and the ticket, whether the bus is on or not, will most likely be good for the bus section of the trip as well if you just buy a ticket from Warnemünde as planned. And normal timetable changes are made once a year (I think it's October ?????) and rarely are there any major surprises, just a tweak here and there.

You won't be by yourselves - there are going to be a lot of people making the same trip (strength in numbers). Just stick with the rest of the people. And you can normally ask station staff for information, I imagine that there will be English speakers in a location such as this. You will also have the opportunity of confirming with staff abroad the vessel before you disembark. And you will lose nothing by making the booking now, you are just assured of better fares.

Lavandula