Train from Vernazza to Nice

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5th, 2007, 08:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, we are trying to get from Vernazza to Nice leaving vernazza around 8 am. Since we will be crossing the border, do i buy my tickets with Trenitalia of SNCF? How many train stops will be there?

Is it bettter to buy tickets in Vernazza? is there a possibility of sold out train?
Old Sep 5th, 2007, 10:14 AM

The usual routing is Vernazza back to either La Spezia or onward to Levanto (i think) as most IC trains and up only occasionally stop at Riomaggiore or Monterosso - the 5 Lands two bookend towns. Fastest trains may only stop of La Spezia to the south and Levanto to the north.

So take the milk train from Vernazza to either La Spezia or Levanto and then train to Genoa where you will probably have to change trains (except overnight Rome-Nice night train) and get one of the few daily EC trains direct to Nice.

Or from Genoa you can take frequent Trenitalia.com trains to Ventimiglia, the French SNCF train frontier station and swiss to a French train that runs frequently to Nice-Ville.

The only reason i mention the second way is that you ask if the trains will ever be sold out - and possible in Scenario 1 - the Genoa-Naples EC train may be because it's one of the few Genoa-Nice direct services and fastest connection.

Scenario 2 - via Ventimiglia has frequent regional and the occasion IC train but these can stop literally hundreds of times it seems at each little resort along the Italian Riviera so takes much much longer - but since these trains do not require reservations you can always board and there are typically many empty seats - but you could definitely get there this way if the Genoa-Nice EC train was booked.

Same for La Spezia-Genoa trains - hourly and always available - few have reservation requirements.

Thus i would recommend buying the Genoa-Nice ticket on either Italy or French rail sites and La Sp-Gen on Trenitalia but the important one is Genoa-Nice

And since you can reserve this train at any Italian station you should be able to do so easily earlier in your trip.

But there could be online savings - even RailEurope can have surprisingly cheap Genoa-Nice tickets - often $25-29 in second class as this 'global train' has tiered prices much like an airline with no changes, no refunds, etc. for advance purchase. www.raileurope.com but for any rail europe product i always recommend their agent Budget Europe (800-441-2387) for their great service and expertise IMLEWT - they also won't charge RE's $18 mailing fee for these types of orders - pushing the effective price way up. But i'd wait till Italy and then make them upon arrival. But with the Genoa-Nice EC link do as early in your trip as possible.
Old Sep 5th, 2007, 10:24 AM

Oh and i don't know if you can buy a Vernazza-Nice ticket at either www.voyages-sncf.com or trenitalia.com or not

be interesting to find out.
Old Sep 5th, 2007, 11:34 AM
Original Poster

Thank you very much for your thoughtful reply. I think we will buy tickets in Italy (we are leaving tonight).
Thank you!
Old Sep 5th, 2007, 12:07 PM

You can buy them at Rome Airport's train station if landing there.

FodorFriends also report that they have gone to travel agents in town centres and buy tickets without extra charges - the easy way out as you can wait in long lines if not using the very easy to use automatic ticketing machines in stations - all in English and a snap when i was there in January. Idiot proof as i was able to do it easily.
Old Sep 5th, 2007, 12:34 PM

Hello anuta
Don't worry
It is OK you leaving from Vernazza at 9.34 to La Spezia (arr. 10.00)
take intrcity train to GenovaPP at 10:45 arrive in GE P.P. at 12.15
catcht train to Nice at 12.55 arrive in Nice at 16.10
Buy the ticket in advance in La Spezia
or in Monterosso for seat obbligatory
aniway look at www.trenitalia.com
english version)
good stay in Vernazza
mino from vernazza