train from Venice to Milan...

Dec 13th, 2005, 03:52 AM
Original Poster

train from Venice to Milan...

We are staying in Venice as our last destination in a trip between Christmas and January 3rd.

Our flight from Milan leaves at 5:40 on the evening of Jan. 3.

Is it safe to take a train that morning, or do we need to plan on staying in Milan on the night of the 2nd?

Thanks!
Dec 13th, 2005, 04:14 AM
freiamaya

I think you should be OK going in the morning. A Eurostar leaves at 10:22am and arrives in Milano at 13:05. This is probably the train for you, but there are other slower ones leaving later that day. Just factor in enough time to arrive at the airport around 2:40 pm (recommended 3 hrs prior to flight time as per the airlines...not my ideal, but hey...)
Happy travels!

Dec 13th, 2005, 04:50 AM

It's safe as long as there is no transportation strike. Hey -- it could happen...it did happen for us when we were supposed to return from Venice on Nov 25. Trains and buses were on strike from 9-1 and planes were on strike from 12-4. We had to stay an extra day. Just pay attention to news leading up to your departure to be safe (i.e. learn from our mistake).
Dec 13th, 2005, 08:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the input!
Dec 13th, 2005, 09:05 AM
freiamaya

Hi ! The issue of a sciopero (strike in Italian) did cross my mind, but I understand that essential services are not allowed to strike during the Christmas/New Year(or any major holiday, for that matter) timeframe. This rule is a result of the massive air/rail/bus strikes that paralyzed the nation some 10 or so years ago. As a result, strikes must be announced 2 weeks in advance on all major forms of communication (watch the local news), and the threat of a strike is often used (vice actually following through with it). So, I am really confident that you won't suffer a strike at that time.