Train from Rome to Florence

Feb 29th, 2000, 01:57 PM
Terry

Train from Rome to Florence

I am going to be traveling from Rome to Florence next week by train. Do I need to buy tickets now?

Feb 29th, 2000, 02:32 PM
Linda Swift

From what I have heard, you are much better off buying tickets ahead in this country, before you go to Italy. Without seat reservations, you may end up standing the entire trip. Also, in Italy, I have heard, you sometimes get cheated at the ticket window, i.e., paying for first class tickets and getting second class.

Feb 29th, 2000, 03:00 PM
Denise

Actually I heard the opposite. I also priced the tickets here and they cost much more. When I traveled from Munich to Prague, I bought tickets in the U.S. When I got to Munich, the ticket collector made a remark that I wasted my money reserving seats. My daughter paid almost half of what I paid. Trains run every hour to and from Rome-Florence. I heard that when you are at the airport you can purchase the Eurostar tickets there.That is what I am going to do.
Good luck,
Denise

Feb 29th, 2000, 03:55 PM
Ed

You'll pay much more here.

Ticket lines at Italian stations can move quite slowly. Often advantageous to buy in advance, but there! Travel agents sell the tickets; we've always used Amex in Piazza di Spagna. Not a bad idea to make seat reservations at the same time. Although, the trip to Firenze is 1:35 on the fast trains, about 2:00 on the slower ones so standing is not a major problem. Quite frequent service, more than 2/hour, and seats are not usually a problem.

Rome.Switzerland.Bavaria
www.twenj.com

Feb 29th, 2000, 04:27 PM
Ann

2 years ago we visited Rome and Venice in february. Absolutely the most wonderful trip of our lives! We just walked up to the train window at the Rome Central station (of course you need to know the timetables ahead of time and your hotel can provide you one) and purchased our tickets. The lines were no pain at all. Your hotel can also purchase your tickets and have them delivered a day ahead of time.
The best part of our trip was that it was all unplanned, we did things on the fly and were not rushed by an kind of timelines! It worked out way better thatn we thought.

Mar 1st, 2000, 05:53 AM
JohnC

My family and I took the Eurostar from Rome to Florence last Thursday. We arrived at Termini Station about 11:00 am and bought tickets for for the 11:30 train and walked right on. You can't get seat reservatons if you buy the tickets that late, but they have two cars set aside for non-reserved travelers. It was a little crowded, but we all got seats. We wanted the flexibility of not booking ahead, but if you know for sure what time you'll be going, you can buy the tickets a day or two early at the station or at a travel agent, and you'll be sure to get seats. You can check the schedules at www.fs-on-line.com.