Train from Rome to CT

Search

Train from Rome to CT

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26th, 2012, 12:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Train from Rome to CT

I will be taking a train from Rome to Cinque Terre in Sept. Is it possible/feasible to stop for lunch at Pisa?
Old Mar 26th, 2012, 01:13 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
there is a frecciabianca train from Termini to Pisa leaves at 08.10 arriving at Pisa centrale at 10.57, where you change for the little regional train to the station for the campo dei miracoli [Pisa San Rossore, arriving at about 11.15.

you can book a time for climbing the tower if you like, or just tour the site, which will take about an hour. then you will need to get back to Pisa Centrale, and pick up your train to the CT again.

probably, you would need to reckon on stopping in Pisa adding an extra 2 hours to the overall journey time, give or take. if you just wanted lunch, no probs!
Old Mar 26th, 2012, 04:33 PM

Once at Pisa Centrale, you can also choose to walk about 20 minutes to the campo dei miracoli, or take a local bus of taxi to the campo.
Old Mar 26th, 2012, 06:11 PM

You can store your bags for the duration of your stopover at the Deposito Bagagli in the Pisa Centrale train station.
Old Mar 26th, 2012, 09:47 PM

If you take fast train from Rome then it will stop at La Spezia rather than Pisa and there are some slow train that stops in Pisa and you have to make a connection to another train.
Old Mar 27th, 2012, 09:02 AM

If you take fast train from Rome then it will stop at La Spezia rather than Pisa >>

not the one that i found. you can go to trenitialia.com to have a look for yourself at all the different options.
Old Mar 27th, 2012, 09:53 AM
GAC

ALL trains between Rome and La Spezia/Genova stop at Pisa Centrale. Absolutely positively!!!
Old Mar 27th, 2012, 10:27 AM

It may be quicker to reach Pisa going via Florence and changing - taking the high-speed line rather than the coastal slower line so there are two choices of route - and yes all trains along the coast stop at La Spezia Centrale - where you change to the milk trains that stop in all five cinque Terre towns - Corniglia however is high high HIGH above its train station on the sea - shuttle buses meet many trains to take you up there - the other 4 towns have train stations right in the heart of town or a short stroll away. www.trenitalia.com has discounted so-called Mini fares available on either route via the coast or Florence so take whichever is cheaper and perhaps faster to have more time in Pisa. For loads of great info on Italian trains check out these superb sites - www.seat61.com; www.ricksteves.com and www.budgeteuropetravel.com.

If not into locking yourself into a hard to if not impossible to change or refund Mini fare at a discount - these are train specific then just buy your ticket that will come with the mandatory seat reservation in Rome - you will rarely if ever see a full train on the coastal route at least - this route is also more scenic than the ho-hum inland route that also requires a change of train in Florence and often Pisa Centrale as well. Service on the sideline to Pisa S Rossore station within a stone's throw of the Leaning Tower is sporadic - hourly at most so check schedules or take the muchmore frequent buses or walk the long mile or so.

and always with Mini Fares compare them to fully flexible full fare tickets - if the difference ain't much take the fully flexible fare so if you miss your train you are not out the whole fare but can change to another later train. If doing much travel in Italy investigate the Italy Railpass!
Old Mar 27th, 2012, 01:18 PM

If just looking for a lunch stop you could stop elsewhere as well - like in a seaside town - Pisa fails to impress many folks who have commented on Fodor's in the past - the area around the train station is especially uninspiring IMO - research some lovely seaside towns and dine with a view over the coast perhaps.
Old Mar 27th, 2012, 03:13 PM
Original Poster

Thank you...we were really just hoping to see the Tower but perhaps it's not really worth the aggravation!
Old Mar 28th, 2012, 03:49 AM

Well go for it IMO - when will you have another chance to see the world's most famous leaning tower? Be sure to book online a time slot if you want to go up to the top - but even just glimpsing this weird sight is worth it IMO - it is easy enough to get to the Tower area either by train to Pisa S Rossore station as annhig says or by bus or foot - allow three hours all told - so you arrive in Cinque Terre late in day - you have plenty of time there the next days!
Old Mar 28th, 2012, 06:29 AM

Note that Pisa San Rossore does NOT have luggage storage so you'd be forced to drag your bags around Pisa. So it's better to use Pisa Centrale, which does have luggage storage, even if it's in a bit less convenient location.
Old Mar 28th, 2012, 07:45 AM

There is however luggage storage at the Leaning Tower area, a few-minute walk from S Rossore station. And there could be trains from S Rossore on the coastal line going to La Spezia? When i was there there were platforms for the sideline to Lucca and also on the main line to La Spezia.
Old Mar 28th, 2012, 12:54 PM

Note that Pisa San Rossore does NOT have luggage storage so you'd be forced to drag your bags around Pisa. So it's better to use Pisa Centrale, which does have luggage storage, even if it's in a bit less convenient location.>>

change at Pisa Centrale, store luggage, get train to san rossore [or go mad and get a cab!] see Tower [obligatory booking of time slot to climb the tower at www.opapisa.it] and other buildings around the campo dei miracoli [do NOT miss the baptistry], have a spot of lunch and get back on the train.

so what if you arrive an hour or so later at La spezia?
Old Mar 28th, 2012, 01:54 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
>>>change at Pisa Centrale, store luggage, get train to san rossore [or go mad and get a cab!] see Tower<<<

Or take the bus out front of Centrale for 1€. The bus will drop you at the tower.
Old Mar 29th, 2012, 01:06 AM

Or take the bus out front of Centrale for 1€. The bus will drop you at the tower.>>

even better!
Old Mar 29th, 2012, 01:32 AM

I think it is a pity you are being talked out of seeing one of the single most important artistic and architectural accomplishments of the Renaissance in order to have a sea view for lunch, especially since you are headed to le Cinque Terre.

Sure "many" people on Fodor's think it is a waste of time to visit important cultural and artistic sights in Italy. Many people on Fodor's also watch reality shows, take cruises, spend all their time abroad drinking, eating and shopping, -- and "many" people on Fodor's are here to share the most picayune "tips" that makes travel sound infinitely complicated and them look smart.

Ahem.

It is extremely easy to take the train from Rome, store your luggage in the station, and walk through the pleasant untouristy town of Pisa to the Leaning Tower, a tremendous masterpiece, as is the cathedral next to it.

Given the timing, it is probably best that you stop for lunch on your way to the Tower.
Old Mar 29th, 2012, 01:43 AM

well, I've certainly done my best to encourage the OP to see the tower, and the rest of the campo dei miracoli; i agree whole-heartedly with you zeppole that it is one of the greatest works of the renaissance.

however re-reading the thread, i see only one person recommending lunch with a sea-view instead, and even he has also given tips for seeing the tower if that's what the OP wants to do.

i loved it when i first saw it 25 years ago, and loved it again when we took the family to see it 5 years ago, despite the tourist tat that now surrounds it.

a definite MUST SEE IMHO.
Old Mar 29th, 2012, 12:32 PM

I think it is a pity you are being talked out of seeing one of the single most important artistic and architectural accomplishments of the Renaissance in order to have a sea view for lunch, especially since you are headed to le Cinque Terre>

moi - I gave this advice when it appeared the OP only wanted to get off at Pisa to have lunch - there was NO mention of wanting to see the Leaning Tower and thus my answer - that Pisa for just lunch was not exceptional, especially if you knew nothing about the city.

As for the Tower, yes by all means trek out there and plan a couple of hours - not just going up the Tower but into the Baptistry or whatever the main eccleisiastical building in the vast verdant square is called (closed IME noon to 3pm or so - Tower open all day I believe but do book online an ascension time as there are often long long lines.
Old Mar 30th, 2012, 12:37 PM

And there are frequent trains right from Pisa S Rossore station - the station annigh points out that is right next to practically the Leaning Tower area - so from Pisa Centrale and the Rome train which does not stop at S Rossore when heading north - transfer to a train to Pisa S Rossore - walk with your bags the few blocks to the Tower area - check your bags in the bag storage facility that I saw there a few years back and assume is still there - and then board another train from Pisa S Rossore and be in La Spezia Centrale in one hour. No backtracking to Pisa Centrale - I believe these trains are regional trains you can just hop on - seat reservations not required nor possible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -