Reload this Page >

Train from Paris to Luzern,Venice, Florence and Rome

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2001, 03:49 AM
Sharon

We will be going by train from Paris, Luzern, Venice, Florence and ROme. Also some side trips to Siena and Pompeii. <BR>What kind of train ticket should we get. Can you get on and off at different places? <BR>Do you have to go to a certain train station in a city like Paris or will any of the train stations eventually get you where you want to go. Can you take a train from Florence to seina and then on to ROme in the same day? <BR>Thanks Sharon

Old May 1st, 2001, 07:29 AM
elvira

I didn't do the single ticket math on this, but I would suggest the Eurail Selectpass: <BR>http://www.raileurope.com/us/rail/pa...selectpass.htm <BR> <BR>Unlimited travel, no worries about buying the right ticket, or exchanging it if you decide to stay in one place longer. <BR> <BR>In Paris, each station's trains go in compass directions, i.e., Gare du Nord trains go north(ish). Sometimes there are two stations whose trains go in the same direction, but your ticket is good on a specific train out of a specific station. That's one reason the railpass is useful; you can change your mind.

Old May 1st, 2001, 08:09 AM
Bob Brown

From Paris to Luzern, the fastest way time wise is to take TGV 21 from Gare de Lyon in Paris to Lausanne, then change to a Swiss train from Lausanne to Luzern. It will take you nearly 8 hours to get there. TGV 21 makes the trip to Lausanne in about 4 hours. I have taken that trip twice and enjoyed it. <BR>You will need reservations on the TGV. <BR> <BR>From Luzern, you can then go on to Venice. If you will consult the Swiss rail system board at www.sbb.ch, and take the English option as indicated by words at the top of the screen in English, you can look up your own schedules and investigate more options than I can give you here.

Old May 1st, 2001, 06:16 PM
Gar

Old May 3rd, 2001, 02:08 PM
up

Old May 3rd, 2001, 06:03 PM
Tony

From Paris there are two regular routes to Lucerne. From Paris Gare de l'Est via Basle, or from Paris Gare de Lyon via Neuchatel on the TGV. <BR>The fastest train is the 0741 TGV from Paris Lyon, changing at Neuchatel (6 minutes) and Olten (12 minutes) arriving Lucerne 1405.

Old May 3rd, 2001, 06:10 PM
Tony

From Lucerne to Venice there are trains about once per hour, changing at Milan. <BR>Incidentally I agree with Elvira's suggestion for a Eurail Selectpass or Europass.These will give you free lake cruises at Lucerne also, plus the options to stop and break your journey anywhere you like. <BR>If you select TGVs or CIS Alpino trains you do need to make a seat reservation before boarding - it costs twice as much on the train. This is easy to do - trains are rarely full anyway.