Reload this Page >

Train from Paris to Florence?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2000, 05:17 PM
Norm

We will be in Paris the last week of May and want to get to Florence. What's the best way to get there by train -- should we go with Rail Europe (Euro Night)? If so, is there any advantage to waiting till we get to Paris before booking? If we want a sleeper car, do we have to pay extra? Lastly, is first class worth the extra cost for overnight travel? Thanks for any replies.

Old May 3rd, 2000, 10:48 PM
eazimmer

Last summer my friend and I went from Florence to Paris, and the best way is by overnight train. This way you are not missing out on valuable site seeing time. You can book when you get to Paris. I would book as soon as you get there as the sleeper cars do fill up. We had first class Eurail Passes and I highly recommend them. I t is well worth the extra money. The sleeper car will cost extra, I think it was a fairly nominal fee ($12ish). I hope this has answered some of your questions. Feel free to email me with anything else. Have a great trip!

Old May 3rd, 2000, 11:07 PM
Nevine

Last October my husband and I travelled by Euronight train from Paris to Florence and we would do it again in a minute. Travelling overnight saves on valuable time and avoids travelling to and from airports, flight delays, etc. <BR> <BR>We had booked in advance of our trip and I would recommend doing that as we were not able to get first class sleeper tickets. Second class is fine though and I wouldn't really pay extra for first class. <BR> <BR>Hope you enjoy your trip. <BR> <BR>

Old May 4th, 2000, 06:27 AM
Bob Brown

Hi Norm. Have you looked at the SNCF web site? You can get exact schedules there. The address is: <BR>http://www.sncf.fr/indexe.htm <BR>And this part of it is in reasonable English. The French however use the word "Validate" in the sense of confirm and move to the next page. Also, you must scroll to the right and click on the age category of the passenger. Otherwise you cannot go forward. <BR> <BR>One TGV leaves Gare de Lyon at 7:54 AM for Milan. You change there for Florence (Firenze)and arrive at 6:30, if on time. There is an overnighter too that you can check out. I personally like the day train because you can see the landscape go by. But that is a personal choice. <BR> <BR> <BR>And, you might be able to book over the web with SNCF. I tried it last year on the TGV to Lausanne, but somehow the reservationist did not know about it.I had received confrmation via email and printed it out, with my confirmation number and had it in hand when I went to pay for the ticket. We booked 3 days in advance and got the seat anyhow. It is worth a try. <BR> <BR>I find Rail Europe prices to be 25% higher as a rule than the same ticket purchased in France. But international fares are lower than one nation only fares. <BR> <BR>As for first versus second class. There is not a tremendous difference. I would say that the difference between second class and first class on trains is much less than it is on commercial airliners. <BR> <BR>I would opt for first class because you will be more comfortable on a long trip. <BR>We took the TGV to Lausanne first class and thought it was a nice way to travel. <BR>

Old May 4th, 2000, 11:24 AM
Ben Haines

Fodors <BR> <BR>Neither France nor Italy have public holidays in late May, though France as one on 1 June. So I think you can wait ill you arrive in Europe, and cut vour RailEirope's markup of 10 to 20 percent. To be sure of your beds you'd stop at Charles de Gaulle airport at the French Rail desks, and book, speaking English, with a credit card. <BR> <BR>A note about terms. RailEurope is a booking agency: they own no trains. EuroNight is a brand name useds by European rail systems for their fastest and most modern night trains. French Rail and Italian between them run the train you have in mind, the Galiei ecpress, Paris Gare de Lyon 1937, Florence 0853, with 1, 2 and 3 berth sleepers, 6-berth couchette compartments, seats,and a restaurant car. Three days ago the London office of French Rail told me that a second class single ticket from Paris to Rome is 150 US dollars with a bed in a 3-berth compartment, 110 dollars with a couchette berth, and 90 dollars in a seat (which I do not recommend), so Paris to Rome might be ten percent less. <BR> <BR>First class is not worth the exra cost. If you are two passengers together you should pay about 170 dollars each for berths in a second class "T2" cabin to yourselves alone. <BR> <BR>I have on disc a note on night trains in Europe which I can copy you if you so ask. Welcome to Europe <BR> <BR>Ben Haines, London <BR>