Reload this Page >

Train from Milan to Rome

Search

Train from Milan to Rome

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17th, 2000, 05:45 AM
Alison

Train from Milan to Rome

We are traveling to Italy in October and have a limited amount of time. We are flying in and out of Milan(due to a great airfare special) and want to get from Milan to Rome. Would we be missing out on a lot if we took a train directly from Milan to Rome? We are renting a car once we leave Rome to take through Tuscany and to Venice. I am considering renting a car for the drive from Milan to Rome - Any opinions?/ Also, does anyone know how long the train is from Milan to Rome? Thank You so much for all of your help.

Old Aug 17th, 2000, 06:04 AM
Jan

Go to the Rail Europe website for current timetables and prices through 12/31/2000. <BR>I have read the site here on train travel but I still have some questions. <BR> <BR>We are travelling by train in Italy Sept/Oct. Are reservations and 1st class necessary this time of year on ES trains? Going from Rome to Venice, Venice to Florence, Florence to Calabria, Calabria to Amalfi, Naples to Rome with each leg about every 6 days. <BR> <BR>LOVE THIS SITE!!! <BR>

Old Aug 17th, 2000, 06:19 AM
Shelly

Alison, I think I got the same airfare sale : ) The train ride from Milan to Rome is about 4.5 hours. I'm also debating if this is a wise use of time for a short trip (1 week) to Italy, or should I concentrate on Venice and Florence and save Rome for another trip? I would prefer for the trip to be more relaxed than too rushed. Can any experienced travelers share their opinions? Thanks!

Old Aug 17th, 2000, 02:41 PM
Paule

Alison, <BR>You are already renting a car after your trip to Rome; keep your life simple and take the train from Milan to Rome. You will have an opportunity to stop along the way AFTER you leave, and believe me, you don't want to start off your trip driving into Rome. Getting out is easier. <BR> <BR>Shelly, <BR>For the short amount of time that you will be in Italy, I think you'll enjoy yourself more if you stick to Florence and Venice. You could take a day trip to Siena from Florence if you want to see just a little more than those 2 cities. <BR>Rome is a great city-- BUT it's an exhausting, demanding city and I think you would be very rushed to try to squeeze Rome into your week's visit. I think Florence and Venice is a great trip; you'll have your fill of museums in Florence and Venice, well, Venice is VENICE! <BR>Enjoy your trips!

Old Aug 17th, 2000, 03:53 PM
Mel

Alison, <BR>I would definitely recommend taking a train from Rome to Milan. I just got back from 2 months in Italy and my last train ride was from Milan to Rome. I wouldn't recommend anyone to drive in Rome. It is very chaotic. <BR> <BR>Jan, <BR>I'm assuming you have a Euro/Eurailpass. I am pretty sure that all ES trains require a reservation and a supplemental charge because they are faster (and nicer). I was always able to make reservations a week in advance and I was there during peak summer season. I travelled 2nd class and it wasn't bad except for the overnight trains. I would have preferred to upgrade to 1st class for those. During my stay I went to Florence, Rome, Venice, Siena, Cinque Terre, Sorrento and Capri so if you have any other questions on those I can try to help. <BR> <BR>Shelly, <BR>Florence and Venice will be enough for one week. In Florence there is a church and museum every where you turn. There is not enough time to include Rome even if you didn't want to relax.