Reload this Page >

Train from Marseille to Aix?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6th, 2002, 12:45 PM
Kim

We will be flying into Marseille and then traveling to Mas d'Entremont in Aix to stay for 3 mights before moving on to St. Remy and Gordes.<BR><BR>We will rent a car for our time in Provence, however, have decided not to for the 3 nights in Aix as we do not want to deal with the traffic, and would rather cab it from the hotel into the city each day.<BR><BR>Is it possible to take a train from Marseille to Aix and then pick up a taxi to the hotel once at the Aix train station? I imagine it would be astronomical to take a taxi all the way from Marseille to the hotel in Aix? (I think about 39 km).

Old Jan 6th, 2002, 12:50 PM
jahoulih

It's eminently possible and sensible. There are trains almost every hour, taking between 28 and 49 minutes.

Old Jan 6th, 2002, 12:53 PM
ABoniwell

There is an excellent bus service from Marseille to Aix. The buses leave every half hour on weekdays and every 45 minutes on Sundays. The journey takes about 30 minutes, as the bus makes a stop at the TGV Aix railway staion (which is in the country, about 10 minutes outside Aix). I was in Aix in November and have even brought a bus timetable back with me, if you need exact times. Fare price is just under $7 one way.

Old Jan 7th, 2002, 07:51 AM
ABoniwell

Further to my earlier E-mail, I did not clarify that the buses (navettes) depart directly from Marseille Airport to Aix. You just come out of the airport building, turn right and go to the window to buy a ticket (you can buy on the bus as well). The Aix bus stand is clearly marked. It saves the hassle of going into Marseille. Once you arrive at the bus station in Aix, there are always taxis waiting to take you to your hotel.

Old Jan 7th, 2002, 10:22 AM
Christina

hey, that's exactly what I did last summer (flew into Marseille and stayed at Mas d'Entremont) and going by cab is probably a better idea as it was kind of hard to find from marseille. Once I got there, it was okay, though. Anyway, you could ask about a cab, ask them what it will probably cost, as that isn't really that far a distance, it may be worth it in comparison to the trouble of doing the other. I'm not sure what cab fares are down there, but that's only about 25 miles and you might find a cabdriver willing to do it for a flat fare (maybe not, I don't know their regulations) and if you split the cab fare between more than one person, it might not be that different than paying for the train or bus fare for everyone and then a cab from the train station (which is probably a little farther than you'd drive going directly from Marseille), a cab can perhaps avoid entirely Aix proper. I couldn't figure out that well how to get onto RN7 coming from marseille without going into Aix, but I think a cabdriver could.