Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Train from London to Paris- spend extra $$ on 1st class???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13th, 2006, 09:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are taking the train from London to Paris and our travel agent asked if we wanted 1st class for $150@ or coach for $100@. There are two of us, and I don't know if it is worth an extra $100 just for more legroom. Or, do you get any extra perks that would make those extra dollars worthwhile.
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 10:14 AM

it's a 2 hour ride. Save the 100 dollars. The regular seats are fine (much better than my coach seats on the transatlantic flight!).
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 10:25 AM
ira

Hi R,

I also suggest that you save your money and go 2 cl.

Old Jan 13th, 2006, 11:16 AM

You get free food in first (it's amazing how perfectly trains can copy airline food these days) and a bit of free booze. You get a bit more space, and slightly shorter checkin times. There's a lounge somewhere, but most first class deals don't give most of us access.

If Mrs F and I are giving ourselves a treat, and there's a deal going on first, we'll shell out the extra 30 quid - but only if the timing means eating on the train doesn't stop us from having a real meal in Paris. The breakfast fry-up on the Eurostar is OK, for example: just whets the appetite if we're planning on a cassoulet or something for lunch in Paris.

But if we're going to a meeting, or just to catch an exhibition and come home the same day, there's little point in forking out the extra.
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 11:31 AM

With those fares, you won't have access to the first class lounge. You must be traveling on a premium fare or hold a Carte Blanche frequent traveler card for access to the lounges.
However, whether it's worth it is entirely up to you. If you have to cut back elsewhere on your trip to afford the first class tickets, then it's probably not. But if it won't pinch your travel budget, then yes, traveling in first class is nice. But not as nice as it used to be because they are clumping all the "cheap" first class tickets (like the fare you're describing) in the same car, if possible. When my husband travels back and forth between Brussels and London (something he does every week), the computer assigns him a seat in the more crowded first class car. But since we are Carte Blanche members, when he checks in he can have the seat re-assigned to one of the more premium cars. I usually do the same.
On 90% of my trips to Paris or Brussels via Eurostar, I go first class. I simply prefer it, especially on some of the early morning Saturday trains to Paris which can get very crowded. Ditto for holiday travel.
FYI, if you do travel first class, don't take the regular meal. Get one of the special meals, particularly the low fat meal. Much better than the regular meal (you have to order these ahead of time).
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 12:29 AM

Skip first class. Second class on this trip is plenty nice (I concur with the previous poster - I'd kill for these "second class" seats on a transatlantic flight!).