Train from London to Bath Info Needed

Nov 25th, 2002, 06:49 PM
Dorothy

Train from London to Bath Info Needed

I've done searches on this subject, but I'm still somewhat confused. I've read that you need to purchase your ticket the day before to get the best rate (cheap day return ticket). I've also heard that it doesn't make any difference in the price if you wait until the day of travel. So, my question is, can anyone tell me which is true? I'd like to not have to make 2 trips to Paddington if it's not necessary. Thanks!

Nov 25th, 2002, 07:11 PM
xxx

A cheap day return must be purchased on the day you are traveling and it cannot be used before 9:30 AM.
A ticket from Paddinton to Bath costs £28.50.
An Apex return fare ( 7 day advance purchase required) for the London to Bath trip costs £17.50.

Nov 25th, 2002, 08:27 PM
Marilyn

But you don't have to go to Paddington to get your ticket. You can phone British Rail and reserve it with a credit card, then pick it up on the day of travel. At least that's what I did last July.

Nov 25th, 2002, 09:08 PM
jen

Was that 28.50 ticket mentioned above the "cheap day return" price or the regular (able to be used before 9:30) round trip price? Is it possible to get the 17.50 advance purchase ticket over the internet or do you have to call? In the case of either of those tickets do you have to specify a certain time for travel (other than after 9:30 part) or can you just hop a train when you feel like it? I know what Dorothy means, seems like it should be a pretty simple matter but when you get down to it there's lots of conflicting and/or confusing info out there. Thanks

Nov 26th, 2002, 01:03 AM
Geoff Hamer

Rail fares are confusing. The trains to Bath are run by First Great Western so you can try their web site, www.great-western-trains.co.uk. In the UK, you can phone 08457 484950 for information on times and fares, or 08457 000125 to book with First Great Western. If you want to buy a ticket in London in advance, you can do it at any station as they're all linked to the same computer system - Charing Cross, for example, is handy for the West End.