Train from CT to Rome

Old May 25th, 2010, 11:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Train from CT to Rome

During one leg of our travels this summer, our family of 5 will be traveling from Monterosso to Rome. I see several lines running that day and was wondering how reliable the arrival times typically are? We have to check into our apartment by 7:00pm and one train's schedule arrives at Termini at 6:15pm.

(1) Will this give us enough time to meet the apartment tenants by 7:00 (the apartment is less than 2 miles away)? Or should we catch an earlier train (we'd like to maximize the 24 hrs in CT and leave as late as possible)?

(2) What is the quickest way to travel from Termini to the apartment...taxi or Metro? I've read nightmares about catching (honest) taxis at Termini.

(3) Can we purchase these tickets at the Monterosso station to go all the way through to Rome (it appears to connect thru La Spezia).

(4) Will we all be able to sit together in 2nd Class? Where do you put luggage on the train?

Thank you so much! I've learned an incredible amount on this forum.
Old May 25th, 2010, 11:37 AM

(1) In my experience, trains run close to schedule, but anything can happen to cause delays.

(2) Since we don't know what part of Rome your apartment is in (the metro system is not extensive), it would be difficult to suggest which would be quicker. There should be no nightmare at Termini if you use the official taxi line. However, you may need more than one taxi or have to wait for a taxi big enough for 5.

(3) I expect so, or you might purchase them at a local travel agency that is an official agent.

(4) You can sit together in 2nd class if the seats are available together. Chances are your tickets from La Spezia will have assigned seats. Smaller luggage can be put in the overhead racks by your seats and in the spaces between the back-to-back seats. Larger luggage is tored in the racks at the ends of the train carriage.
Old May 25th, 2010, 11:56 AM

1) If your trip is includes Eurostar, the Eurostar trains tend to be on time once you get on. Long distance IC trains seem to get further and further behind schedule. I would not be comfortable with just 45min in between.

2) There are several "official" taxi lines, however, I don't like the one near track 25 (the TI side). They were very evasive in quoting an estimate. I went to an another "official" taxi line in front (facing the Pizza del Cinquecento) of the station and caught a taxi who was more than happy to explain the estimate, surcharges, etc, consistent with the taxi tariff regulations.
Old May 25th, 2010, 12:08 PM

Two routes-one down the coast via Pisa and along coast but not a Eurostar route

Eurostar routing means taking regional or IC train to Florence and changing

Eurostar trains more reliable IME because Italian Railways guarantees their timeliness and gives i believe some refund for really late running trains

But you should be more worried about the real possibility of a strike as there have been so many the past few years - they are usually announced ahead of time and certain trains are, in theory, strike immune. Book yourself on one of those as soon as arriving in Italy IMO
Old May 25th, 2010, 01:21 PM

Hi!

I live on that train line. "Reliable" is not a word I associate with it, but there is NO reason for you to put yourself through conniptions trying to anticipate every little thing that could possibly go wrong. Just buy the tickets.

As for strikes, they are announced well in advance and many trains are, by law, unaffected.

If your Italian landlord isn't late himself for the appointment to meet you, buonissimo!

I suggest that you e-mail your landlord that you are buying tickets for the xx train to Rome, arriving in Termini at xx pm, and taking a taxi to meet him or her. He or she will wait for you if you are running late, even if it is 2 hours late.

Will you be carrying cell phones? Always a good idea in all circumstances, but you can always call him en route if your train gets "in ritardo"!

Have a great trip! Italy is a wonderfully relaxed place.
Old May 25th, 2010, 01:36 PM
Original Poster

Wow, you guys are incredible!
Our apartment is very close to the Spanish Steps so in theory, we could catch the Metro to Spagna and walk from there. I'm just not sure it's wise for me, my wife, and 3 teenage daughters with luggage in tow, to hop on a Metro at 6:30pm on a Saturday evening not ever having been to Rome before?
Old May 25th, 2010, 02:04 PM

Take a taxi.