Train from Como to Lugano

Old Mar 10th, 2015, 07:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Train from Como to Lugano

I have been searching the world wide web for days and have found several websites which have some information, but I am not satisfied The question I have is simple: where can I find all the information about trains going from Como to Lugano and back (timetables, prices and etc). As I understand there is a regional S10, but when plan to board that train in Como, can buy a ticked straigth to Lugano? So I don't have to change trains in Chiasso.

And what would the rates be for adults and children (one is 6 and the other is 3). I hope someone knows this or has recently travelled the same way. Thanks!
Old Mar 10th, 2015, 07:56 AM

checking http://www.trenitalia.com/ finding that it is a hefty 19 euros to ride the 30 minutes nonstop on an IC train. Taking 2 regional trains would be less, the Italian leg is 1.40 euro + 4.20 SF for the second leg.
Old Mar 10th, 2015, 08:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. I was able to find the 1.40€ part, but where did you find that 4.20SF information?
Old Mar 10th, 2015, 08:25 AM

Timetables:
http://www.fahrplanfelder.ch/fileadm...s/2015/631.pdf
For all people living not around Como San Giovanni railway station, it may be easier to go by Como citybus up to Chiasso/Ponte Chiasso (about every 10 min, 1 EUR) and to board Lugano bound trains there.
Fares: Chiasso - Lugano 8 EUR, Como SG - Lugano (local train) 12 EUR
I suppose you know that there is also a direct bus line from Menaggio to Lugano (1 hr ride, 6 EUR/OW).
Old Mar 10th, 2015, 08:30 AM

Kids: free on Italian railways (but NOT buses) up to 4 years, in Switzerland (all kinds of trains, buses, boats, cableways, etc) up to 6 years, up to 16 years with the Swiss Family Card.
Old Mar 10th, 2015, 08:35 AM

For info I think the http://www.sbb.ch/en/home.html is the clearest.

Exactly where will you be starting off from?
Old Mar 10th, 2015, 08:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again, neckervd! We are staying near the Piazza Cavour in Como, so it may be easier to take the bus to Chiasso (especially with the kids).

After reading that timetable file, I have a question - the train from Como to Chiasso is numbered as S11 and the one going from Chiasso to Lugan is S10. But I suppose I will have to change the train anyway (if I don't want to travel on the more expensive train.
Old Mar 10th, 2015, 09:22 AM

The bus to Ponte Chiasso has a stop in Piazza Cavour roughly opposite the Hotel Barchetta. You can purchase tickets at the Tabaccaio in Via Caio Plinio II or at the newsagent stand at Piazza del Duomo. The price is more than 1 Euro for adults - not sure of cost for kids. The price for a drop off in Chiasso (just over the border is higher) but there is a drop off just before the border andyou can cross by foot with no problem and the station up the road to the left - about 200 yards from the border.
Old Mar 10th, 2015, 09:50 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the tip nochblad! It seems to be the best option for getting to Switzerland - off the buss before the border. Seems that there is no need to plan that much ahead - the busses leave often and the Chiasso-Lugano trains are quite frequent too.
Old Mar 11th, 2015, 09:16 AM

If you like to discuss about peanuts:
Fare from Piazza Cavour up to Ponte Chiasso Swiss border: 1.30 EUR (USD 1,40)
Fare from Piazza Cavour up to Chiasso railway station: 1.70 EUR (USD 1.85).
Fare from Piazza Cavour up to Maslianico/Pizzamiglio Swiss border: 1.80 EUR (USD 1.95)
http://www.sptlinea.it/Tariffeebigli...language/en-US

Kids on come Citybuses:

Trasporto di bambini
I bambini di altezza fino a cm.110 possono viaggiare gratuitamente se accompagnati da un adulto munito di documento di viaggio.
I bambini non paganti non hanno diritto ad occupare posti a sedere e devono essere tenuti in grembo.
E’ consentito trasportare gratuitamente passeggini e carrozzine per bambini purché ripiegati, in modo da non recare danno agli altri viaggiatori e ingombro per il passaggio.
E' consentito trasportare gratuitamente passeggini per bambini purche' piegati in modo tale da ridurre l'ingombro.
E' consentito trasportare passeggini o carrozzine per bambini anche non ripiegati solo sugli autobus forniti di postazione per disabili in carrozzella entro la zona ad essi riservata.
Durante il viaggio, il passeggino deve essere frenato e costantemente tenuto dall' accompagnatore per evitare spostamenti o cadute in caso di brusche frenate
http://www.sptlinea.it/Viaggiaconnoi...language/en-US