Reload this Page >

Train from Berlin to Prague

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2nd, 2001, 10:14 PM
John Hazlett

I'm beginning to plan a 3 week trip to Germany, Austria and Prague next Oct. My FIRST question: Are there trains from Berlin to Prague, and if if so how does one book reservations?

Old Jan 3rd, 2001, 01:48 AM
Hans H

Yes, there are trains. If you go to http://bahn.hafas.de you will find the webpage of the German railway. They can't give you the prices for connections outside of Germany but they will show you the connections. Use Prag as the German spelling for Prague. <BR> <BR>As for reservations, the easiest way is to buy the tickets at the railway station a few days prior to your departure and make your reservation while buying the tickets. Even if you don't take the reserved train, the ticket is still valid and only the reservation is lost (costing a few DM).

Old Jan 3rd, 2001, 04:12 AM
Bob Brown

According to the schedule, the trip if four hours and 44 minutes via Dresden. <BR>The train leaves from the Berlin East station. There are several trains a day, the first one leaves at 7:45. <BR> <BR>The rail schedule listed above will give you more details. <BR>

Old Jan 3rd, 2001, 04:22 AM
Ben Haines

Fodors <BR> <BR>Dear Mr Hazlett, <BR> <BR>The reference library of a city near you may have the Thomas Cook European Timetable. Table 60 has your trains, restaurant car expresses that take five hours, and leave Berlin Zoo station at 0730, 0930, 1330, 1530 and 1730. <BR>October is not a rushed minth, and you need not book. But if you want to book you can easiest do so at the Zoo station the day before. <BR> <BR>And indeed all other reservations. The computer software at travel centre desks in large stations of central Europe is linked: you can book a seat from Berlin in Madrid. <BR> <BR>Please write if I can help further. <BR> <BR>Ben Haines, London <BR> <BR>

Old Jan 3rd, 2001, 07:06 AM
Linda

The German rail site that Hans mentioned is the best for information. Agree with Ben that probably you will not need reservations. Buying the tickets at the station before leaving is the cheapest. Dresden is just 2 hours down from Berlin & is an interesting city. Prague (Praha on the German rail site) is about 4 1/2 hours. If you are going on to Vienna (Wien on German rail site), it is about that same length of time. For lodging, try nethotels.com. They have good information for hotels/penzions in Berlin, Prague & Vienna. You will love all 3 cities--my 3 favorites. Berlin has the history of the 20th century, Prague the architecture, Vienna the culture. Although there are ample amounts of all in each city. Be sure to see the Charles Bridge at night in Prague.

Old Jan 3rd, 2001, 09:16 PM
John Hazlett

Thanks for all the tips. I just spoke to someone from Germany and he insists that we DRIVE from Berlin to Prague. I do prefer to drive, but was concerned about doing so in the Czech Republic. Any comments?

Old Jan 3rd, 2001, 11:01 PM
Tangata

I wiuld go for the train. I have taken it from Vienna to Prague and then from Prague to Berlin. Good trips, nice views and comfortable. <BR> <BR>I would be wary of taking a car into the Czec Republic, if you do decide to make sure that you clear it with your rental company and that it is well insured!

Old Jan 4th, 2001, 05:32 AM
Sjoerd

Millions of Western Europeans drive to/in the Czech Republic every year. I was one of them in 2000 and didn't have a single problem. The roads are not as good as in Germany, but still OK. You will need a vignette for the motorways in CZ.