Spain 5/14 to 5/30

Search

Spain 5/14 to 5/30

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6th, 2013, 03:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spain 5/14 to 5/30

Everyone was so helpful 2 years ago when my family went to Rome and Greece that I am back for more help. This year 3 of us are going to Spain 5/14-5/30. We are flying in and out of Madrid with lots of driving throughout the country during our time there. Hubby picked the start date so that we would arrive on time for San Isidro, and we have booked our arrival hotel for the first 3 days.
As in the past, we are doing almost all of the trip around our points. We have Marriott and Hilton points to use and at this point we are thinking our hotel stays will be at Marriott connected AC hotels--mid range pricing.
We are not beach people, so considering that what would you suggest as an itinerary for this trip? Are there places you consider a waste of time that has been hyped for tourists purposes?
Any hints or suggestions about saving money, making reservations, seeing a particular site on a certain day or specific time of day, must see or do ideas not found in the tourist guides, etc. will be gratefully appreciated. Some of our best Rome moments came from Fodor suggestions.
I have read the Fodor pick pocket thread and have checked out a number of utube videos.
Looking forward to reading everyone's suggestions. Thanks so much.
Old Mar 6th, 2013, 07:04 PM

Your questions are a bit too general.
Spain is a big country. What are you interested in?
If you do some researchers and ask more specific questions,
it would be easier to respond.
Old Mar 6th, 2013, 07:06 PM

The title is not a very good lead in. Try posing a specific question or two. You might get more responses.

But yes, the AC hotels are an excellent choice, especially if you have or want to earn Marriott points.

The only suggestions I have at this time is to read some of the guides provided free of charge by Maribel (www.maribelsguides.com).
Old Mar 6th, 2013, 08:27 PM
kja

The best advice I can give is to invest in a few good guide books!
Old Mar 7th, 2013, 01:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Madrid is more or less in the middle of the country and with only two weeks you need to decide which direction you want to go in. How long will you stay in Madrid? What are your interests?

A little more info plese.
Old Mar 7th, 2013, 07:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. Similar to our prior trips we are wide open and that is why I kept it general.
Other than our fly in and fly out dates and first three Madrid days we are free to go in any direction. We don't think twice about driving 6 hours to get to a historical or one of a kind "must see" vs. spending hours at a tourist trap/shopping plaza recommended in guide books. We are not loking to spend time at the beach. For instance, my husband was thinking of Fatama because of the story he heard as a child. He has also mentioned a tiny country on the Spanish border on the idea of lchenstein? We definitely are driving to Barcelona. I have reviewed a few guide books -- thank you Robert 2533 for suggestion maribelsguides.com. I have found some great info there that I have not seen before.

I guess I was looking for folks to help with a blank slate, i.e. you are the unbiased guide for someone's one and only trip trip to Spain what route and stops and tips and tricks for the best time ever would YOU choose?
Old Mar 7th, 2013, 08:26 AM

This was our itinerary in pictures of a two to three weeks trip a long time ago. You'll just have to edit what you want to see according to your own time frame, maybe substituting Toledo for Cuenca:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mksfca/...75757180/show/
Old Mar 7th, 2013, 08:30 AM

If you just want an idea of how I'd spend 17 nights on a first, and perhaps only, trip to Spain I'd probably hit Madrid, Barcelona and the highlights of Andalucia.

I'd do Madrid (5) w/daytrips to Toledo and Segovia, AVE (train) to Sevilla for 4 nights stopping in Cordoba en route for a daytrip. Then bus or train to Granada for 2 nights. From Granada fly to Barcelona for 5 nights and do 1-2 daytrips (Girona, Montserrat, Tarragona, etc...). Then take the train back to Madrid for your final night. No need to have a car for this itinerary. This is generic and would give you a moderate pace.

I wouldn't advise Andorra for a first visit to Spain and Fatima is way out of the way for a 17 day trip if you want to see the highlights of Spain.

Of course, if you selected one geography (ie. Catalunya, Andalucia, Madrid and area, etc....) then you could do a more in depth visit of this area exploring by car, etc.... but you wouldn't see as much of the diversity by geography.

So, it's really up to you. I'd invest some time reading a general Spain guidebook and determining what most interests you in what you can reasonably see in 17 days.