Train from Amsterdam to Leiden

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 08:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to take the train from Amsterdam to Leiden early in the morning (same day return)n but want to be flexible on the time....can you do that?
Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 09:50 AM

Yes tickets should be good on any train - about 4 trains an hour - buy a daag retour ticket if still offered which may give a slight discount. www.ns.nl Dutch railways web site. Absolutely no problem!
Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 10:09 AM

A retour is all you need, provided you will be using any train up to the last train of the night to return. You can buy them at the ticket machine on the day. Remember to have coins or a debit card with a 4 cipher PIN - not a credit card.
A Dagretour costs €14,90, and depending on the train you get it will take 35 minutes direct or you may have to change in Haarlem, in which case it take 45 minutes.
Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 10:20 AM

hetismij - why would you have to change in Haarlem as there is a direct line to Leiden not going via Haarlem. Years ago there was only the Haarlem (i believe Hollands Spoor route) but now the main line goes via Schiphol and you should never have to change anywhere.

If it's flower season - pretty much all summer it seems, going via Haarlem and then thru the flower fields could be nice at least one way

I think via Haarlem must also cost more as it's like going two sides of a triangle rather than direct.
Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 10:38 AM

Sorry for hijacking but I didnt want to start a new thread...

What is best way from Schiphol to Sneek?
we will be arriving Schiphol 8am. on a Thursday.
Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 11:10 AM

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/que...&rt=1&OK#focus

this will give you a sample schedule which will be repeated throughout the day lots. Take the train from Schiphol not to Centraal station but the route via Station Zuid/WTC to Zwolle, change there and once again as indicated. buy ticket at Schiphol Airport train station for the whole route. It's easy to get on the train to Amsterdam C.S. (Centraal Station) so look at the overhead signs by the escalator down to the tracks and at the overhead sign by the tracks to see where the next train is actually going - it should have Amsterdam Zuid/WTC, Amsterdam RAI and Zwolle on it.
Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 11:19 AM

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/que...&rt=1&OK#focus

Try this one - i screwed up on the other

any change in Zwolle and Leuwarden

I myself want to sneak a look at Sneek next time in Amsterdam - Hetismij got me interested in it and always looking for nice Dutch seaside gems.
Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 11:20 AM

Car is the easiest. However by public transport it is complicated as there are several ways of doing it depending on what time of train you can catch.
If you go to www.9202ov.nl and click on the British flag for the new English version, fill in Schiphol and the address in Sneek and the time you want to travel and you will see numerous alternatives, and their prices.
Driving will take you about an hour and a half, public transport will be between 2 and half and three and a half hours, depending on the route taken.
Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 11:21 AM

No something screwed up - but you can change the Amsterdam Holen thing to Schiphol Airport in start

and confirm Sneek in the stop

change the date to your

and click on the Red Search button again and you should get the schedules.

Or just click on New Query and start all over.
Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 11:30 AM

Here's a link to the English version : http://journeyplanner.9292.nl/
it doesn't quote prices though.
Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 11:46 AM

palenque and hetismij,

How long would it take us to drive from SChiphol to Sneek?
There will be 4 of us so value wise it might be an alternative to the train.
Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 12:23 PM

mappy.com will tell you perhaps

Hetismij hopefully will

me i have no idea. I would suppose it would be quicker than the train however
Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 12:40 PM

I said in my first post, it will take about an hour and a half to drive it, if you choose the motorways. It will be quicker than the train, and gives you flexibility once you get there - what are you planning on doing in Sneek? Hiring a boat?
Prices for the train only route were about €26-€30pp depending on the route, and train/bus is about €20pp, but both take a lot longer as I said.
Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 12:43 PM

hetismij knows a whole lot about boat rentals i case you are into that - from her past posts about this unique thing to do and a very Dutch thing i'd think
Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 01:28 PM

yes we are renting boat from www.leboat.com

I think we will drive. Only 1 1/2 hours. no problem.

thank you so much.... who knew..
Old Apr 3rd, 2009, 12:45 AM

Pal, in response to your query about going to Leiden via Haarlem - it depends on the time of train you get - some go via Haarlem, some go direct.
Old Apr 3rd, 2009, 06:49 AM

hetismij - yes some go via Haarlem but why would you take a route that takes twice as long and costs probably twice as much - even though it's a direct train and esp if you have to change at Haarlem - even though seeing that wonderful ancient wooden station is perhaps a reason to do so.

You could likewise go via Utrecht as well and makes about as much sense

Trains go 4 times an hour in a direct line Amsterdam Central to Schiphol to Leiden - not via Haarlem which makes no sense to me.
Old Apr 3rd, 2009, 03:35 PM

hetismij,

We will be picking up our canalboat in Sneek.
Where would be a good place to get groceries? we will get basics to stock boat then get fresh veggies/fruit and bread along the way.
Should we wait until we get to Sneek or is there a better place along the way?

Thank you for all the help you give us on this board...
Old Apr 3rd, 2009, 07:25 PM

hetismij,
I must be daft but I cant seem to find a rental car drop off place in Sneek. Am I missing something?
I have tried Avis, Hertz, and autoeurope.. i dont know what cities are near enough to take cab back to boat.
The boat is at ...
Le Boat Sneek
Zijda Yachting
Zoutepoel 4
NL - 8604 CD Sneek
Old Apr 4th, 2009, 05:47 AM

jetsetj,
maybe this is the best solution, though not the cheapest:
http://tinyurl.com/cbng3g.
The nearest car drop off point is probably Leeuwarden which is quite a way from Sneek.
I hadn't realised you were going off in a boat when I suggested a car. You could always compare the price of the Schiphol taxi with hiring a car for the duration of the trip and leaving it in Sneek. You can then wander about a bit in it after your boat trip if you have time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -