Train from Alba to Zermatt

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26th, 2013, 10:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone! Planning a trip for August - have already asked and will ask again soon for info on itinerary and hotel but right now am just trying to finalize locations.

I am trying to figure out how to get from Alba to Zermatt by train - the only way I can find is Alba to Milan to Zermatt and that is like 7 hours.

Any help finding anything faster? I am stuck!

Thanks!
Old Nov 26th, 2013, 11:56 AM

more like 8 h 05 minutes though there is one link at 7 h 44 min - requiring 5 or 6 changes of train - I used the German Railways online schedule that I find the easiest to use for any European train - a good way to get to the English home page where you just put in From ....and To.... and a date is to go to the home page of www.budgeteuropetravel.com and click on the link 'Best online European railway timetable' or some such wording and up pops that page - I reference this home page link because they also give several valuable tips on fully using the Wunderbard www.bahn.de site!

These are all regional trains in Italy so there is no reason to buy any tickets ahead of time - a flat fare no matter when you buy it - I do not think there is any quicker way or it would show up in bahn.de.

Tant pis!
Old Nov 26th, 2013, 12:39 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
For trains into/out of Switzerland, I also like to check the Swiss railway website.

Although you can't search Swiss timetables for August now, there is currently a combo of trains that takes 7:05 hours (4 changes). Some combos don't go through Milan

http://www.sbb.ch/en/home.html
Old Nov 26th, 2013, 12:57 PM

CatchK, can you wait three weeks with your planning? Right now is not a good time to look up timetables, since throughout Europe the 2014 timetables are being finalized as we speak and they get published around Dec. 15th. Look for specific info after that date.

You'll look at www.trenitalia.com (click on Tutti I Treni to see the regional trains, or switch to English) for the Alba - Milano Centrale portion (Milano Centrale is the huge hub for pretty much all of Northern Italy). Then look up www.sbb.ch for the Milano - Brig - Zermatt portion.

Meanwhile:

Alba is a bit out of the way when it comes to public transport, so this will be a long journey no matter how you do it. Torino is the nearest hub with fast train connections to Milan.

All train connections from Alba seem first to require a change of regional trains in Bra before getting to Torino where you can catch fast trains.

Or take the bus from Alba to Torino - see http://www.comune.torino.it/gtt/inte...iorari/210.pdf

The quickest but not very exciting route would be Alba - Bra - Torino (Porta Susa) - Milano Centrale - Brig - Zermatt.

There are fabulous other ways of doing this trip in August:

~ By train to Aosta, by coach over the scenic route via Courmayeur to Chamonix then by mountain train down to Martigny and by regular trains to Zermatt

~ By train to Aosta, by Savda bus over the Gran San Bernardino from Aosta to Martigny, then from Martigny to Zermatt by regular Swiss trains.

~ By train (Alba - Bra - Torino Porta Susa - Milano Centrale) to Domodossola then switch to the Swiss Post-Bus over the Simplon pass to Brig (the trains go through the Simplon tunnel down below, you see nothing) and by train from Brig to Zermatt - look at http://www.postbus.ch/pag-startseite...bot-detail.htm

Have patience, soon you'll be able to nail down your trip I should think. Meanwhile research all the names above and you'll see what those options have to offer. Your camera will like them!
Old Nov 26th, 2013, 02:27 PM

www.bahn.de shows no train less than 7 h 44 min so maybe it is not infallible after all!

It's a long long day no matter how you look at it - consider breaking up your journey say in Stresa, on lovely Lake Maggiore and smack on the main rail line to Switzerland - Domodossola and Brig. The three Borromean Islands just off Stresa to me were totally amazing. The Stresa train station is in the heart of town - Stresa is a rather swank lakeside resort - I loved hearing the town bank crank up at night along the shore!
Old Nov 26th, 2013, 04:18 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much for your help!

I am in absolutely no rush at all for definite plans, just really wanted an idea by thanksgiving - long story short, my great aunt and I are planning this trip and her best friend wants to tag along. She has been a great friend and travels a lot, so I don't mind. However, as she is a little older I want her to have a clear idea of how strenuous and slightly chaotic (in a fun kind of crazy way) this trip could be for her. We are meeting right after the holiday to kind of pitch our plan to her and I wanted an idea of times.

I hadn't thought about doing it a different way or breaking it up and seeing some sights, so those are actually very helpful ideas!

I feel like I need to cut one location out of our itinerary, so I will be asking for more help shortly!
Old Nov 26th, 2013, 05:11 PM

When you talk to your intended travel partners, make it clear that the quickest they can get from Alba to Zermatt is in 7hrs and 5 minutes by train, departure to arrival (not door to door). And that's with no significant stop en route, just the change-over times (Alba 08:08 Bra 08:30/08:36, Tornio P.Susa 09:27/09:53, Milano 10:40/11:25, Brig 13:16/13:52, arr. Zermatt 15:13).

If lunch in Milano is a good idea (and why not, there are plenty of nice restaurants nearby), you could add an hour and take the 12:25 (arr. Z. 16:13), or even leave your bags at the station and go see the Duomo (go up on the roof with the elevator for a few Euros or huf-and-puff up the narrow spiral stairs) and take the 14:47 train (arr. Z. 19:30, with two switches en route).

If you wish to stop in Stresa and go see the Borromean Islands, you'd need to make it an even longer day - it could be very nice but you wouldn't get to Zermatt before probably 21:13, just a bit after dark.

So it will be an all-day trip no matter what, even though on a map it looks fairly close as the eagle flies - simply because a) Alba is tucked away out in the countryside and b) Zermatt is tucked away high up in the mountains and c) there is this huge massif of mountains in between, called The Alps...

The more scenic alternatives I listed will involve even more complex logistics, possibly with an overnight en route from Alba to Zermatt. Gorgeous, but maybe too much for some?

Happy planning - that's half the fun!
Old Nov 26th, 2013, 05:51 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
>>>since throughout Europe the 2014 timetables are being finalized as we speak and they get published around Dec. 15th. Look for specific info after that date.<<<

It's winter schedules that will be published starting the 2nd weekend in Dec. They only run through the 2nd weekend in June. The OP is talking about August. Those schedules will loaded until sometime late spring (as late as June).
Old Nov 27th, 2013, 06:09 AM

If you wish to stop in Stresa and go see the Borromean Islands, you'd need to make it an even longer day - it could be very nice but you wouldn't get to Zermatt before probably 21:13, just a bit after dark.>

Well I meant to stay overnight in Stresa not stop there for what would take 3-4 hours on such a long day.

You could stop in Milan and see the famous Duomo there. Not all Italian train stations have left luggage but Milan Centrale does.
Old Nov 27th, 2013, 07:26 AM

kybourbon - I agree, I overlooked the fact that August comes after June...

PalenQ - you're right about the need for an overnight, I hope OP will take heed of what we say - I wrote "The more scenic alternatives I listed will involve even more complex logistics, possibly with an overnight en route from Alba to Zermatt."

I've never been there in August, but in June the Borromean Islands are exquisite with everything in bloom. The way they take care of things, August should also be very nice.
Old Nov 27th, 2013, 07:37 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all - this is great!

No worries about the actual travel times, etc. I just wanted a general idea...

I will make it clear to both potential companions that it will not be a short travel day! I will also look into some of those options - it may be a great opportunity to see something different!
Old Nov 27th, 2013, 08:13 AM

You may check the itinerary via Lake Orta too. Dirty cheap (Italian leg only!) and very scenic (but not as scenic as the itineraries via Gran San Bernardo or Simplon Kulm suggested by Michel!).

Or take a afternoon train from Alba to Arona, for example Alba dp 15.08 - Arona ar 19.06 (all by regional trains), sleep there and go on the following morning by boat:
Arona dp 10.15 - Locarno ar 14.30 (restaurant on board).
Leave Locarno 14.49, 15.49 or 16.49 by Panoramic Centovalli train, change at Domodossola and Brig and arrive at Zermatt 4 1/2 hrs later.
Old Nov 27th, 2013, 11:45 AM

August should also be very nice>

but very crowded so if staying in August be sure to book early - I was there in August - lots and lots of tourists from all over.