Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Train fares online? UK version of sncf.fr?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3rd, 2001, 06:22 PM
Pam

Are there any sites that offer British ticket prices online? If the French do it, it seems the British would too. <BR> <BR>I want to compare the price of a ticket London-Edinburgh-York-London vs a Britrail pass.

Old Jun 3rd, 2001, 06:43 PM
ron

http://www.thetrainline.com/

Old Jun 3rd, 2001, 06:48 PM
Kathy

Try www.thetrainline.com. I used this site last summer to price and purchase tickets for daytrips when we went to London. Some posters have said that The Train Line does not mail tickets to the U.S., but if it's true, it must be a new policy from the last few months. We ordered round-trip tickets to both Bath and Warwick, and the tickets were delivered to our home within a week. If you don't want to order tickets from them, it will at least show you the departure and arrival times and the various fares.

Old Jun 3rd, 2001, 07:29 PM
Rex

If all you want is pricing to make a decision, you might consider http://www.railsaver.com - - recommended here by various other posters in the past several months. Plugging in arbitrary stays of three nights, early July, in each city (and this might not make or break the best deal), they show that a BritRail 4 Day 2nd Class Adult FlexiPass is the best deal, at $235 USD. I would not have predicted that. Learn something here all the time. <BR> <BR>To actually purchase it, they recommend http://www.railpass.com/ - - of course, your circumstances may make some feature of this pricing different (how many traveling together, ages, what month - - I don't know what impact these would have on the pricing). <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex <BR>

Old Jun 4th, 2001, 05:53 AM
ron

On the other hand, Rex, if you had gone to the Trainline site and checked the price of a return ticket London-Edinburgh-London (leaving the train at York on the way back) and the price of a single from York to London, you would have come up with £59 (£36 for the bargain Apex return and £23 for the bargain single). Quite a saving over the rail pass, I would think. My experience with rail passes in the UK is that if they turn out to be cheaper than individual tickets, it is a sign that I am spending too much time on trains and not enough time visiting the country.