Search

Tower of London, Yes or No?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5th, 2009, 11:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tower of London, Yes or No?

Helloo

I spoke to a friend recently, saying I was hoping to go see the Tower of London when I visit the UK from Canada this summer, which I've not visited since a boy. At 16 pounds entry fee, he told me I should skip it, since he said they herd you through like cattle, with massive tour mobs.

I believe that this was his experience there, but was wondering if there's a way to avoid this sort of experience (I know I'll be there height of tourist season: in July, but maybe going first thing in the morning on a Wednesday, for example?). I love history and consequently would be a bit heavy-hearted if I couldn't go, but then again I don't like to be herded through especially, preferring to take my time, read informatory plaques, listen to audio, etc...

Go or skip, this is the question....

Daniel
Old Jan 5th, 2009, 12:01 PM

Go. It's a fascinating place. If you have a map, you don't need to go with a tour group if you choose not to. Hubby and I explored on our own and had a great time.
Old Jan 5th, 2009, 12:11 PM

Absolutely go. If you go first thing in the morning you can avoid some of the hordes of people.

You aren't necessarily herded through, since you can wander around at your own leisure for as long as you like. I do recommend the Yeoman Warder tours, which are about 30-45 minutes, but then you can do the White Tower & Crown jewels on your own.
Old Jan 5th, 2009, 12:19 PM

I do not understand why anybody would tell you that!

The Tower of London is an absolute highlight of a London visit. We spent absolutely hours and hours there - we even took our lunch and sat on one of the benches enjoying sandwiches and hot tea.

As suggested by dexters the Yeoman Warders tours are fabulous - funny, informative and included in the price of entry!

Everything on display is clearly detailed and the Crown Jewels well -I went back a number of times to see them again - how special!

If I were to visit London again I feel sure that the Tower would definitely be a place I'd like to see again!
Old Jan 5th, 2009, 12:32 PM

Definitely go! And take the Yeoman tour as others have suggested. It's one of the most fascinating places in that very fascinating city.

www.hereinfranklin.wordpress.com
Old Jan 5th, 2009, 12:38 PM

If you have any interest in history at all it's not to be missed. I disagree with the "herding" comment - have been twice and didn't feel that way either time. Do go first thing, before the ticket office opens, and have a plan of attack. No need to go with a tour if you've done your homework IMO.
Old Jan 5th, 2009, 12:39 PM

As you are a history lover, perhaps you would like to attend the nightly Ceremony of the Keys at the Tower. It's a 700 year old ritual, and the number of people admitted is limited.
Admission is free, but you have to put forth some effort well ahead of your trip to make the arrangements:
http://www.hrp.org.uk/TowerOfLondon/...ofthekeys.aspx
Note that to obtain the "coupon response internationals",ie. postage, needed for the request, you go to your local post office. Ask for IRCs.

You won't get to wander around the Tower during this tour, but my family thought it was a special experience. Even if you do the Ceremony, I still recommend going during the daytime.
Old Jan 5th, 2009, 12:48 PM

Even IF your friend was right (which he is definitely NOT...) there should be no hesitation whatsoever for a history lover to visit the Tower of London. I have to say this just in case you hear the same of the Eiffel Tower (where it actually feels like cattle herding...) and decide not to visit either. There are places you just have to go if you ever in the neighborhood...
Old Jan 5th, 2009, 12:52 PM

Why go to London and NOT see one of it's most famous sites?

16 pounds isn't cheap but if you were that interested in saving money you'd be staying home... right? ;^)

Rob
Old Jan 5th, 2009, 01:09 PM

We toured the Tower of London on our own this past summer. There were tour groups but they didn't affect our visit.
Old Jan 5th, 2009, 01:57 PM
Original Poster

Thank you.

The way he described it sounded like they keep you moving through it at such a pace that you could not stop to appreciate (like they want to get you in-and-out (like a popular roller-coaster ride) to accommodate as many people so as to make as much money as possible), with a constant push of people behind you. History-lover that I am, this scenario was so unappealing (especially considering the 16 pounds), I actually was contemplating forgetting it.

He's not the sort to lie about something; one thought is that it could have been on a weekend, a crowded day where it WAS a particular mob scene? Or maybe since he's going to be in England at the same time as me, perhaps he's trying to get me to do something else because he wants my company to visit places HE wants to see instead, so that's why he's trying to paint the Tower in as exaggeratedly negative terms as possible? Anyhow, you good folks have re-assured me. I will NOW unquestionably be visiting the Tower of London, which before I mentioned it to my friend was close to #1 on my priority list of things to do during my stay. Given my much greater knowledge of history now, I think I will appreciate much more than I did in 1979 or so when I saw it last (as an 8-year-old)! I am excited about seeing the Tower again!

Thank you again! DANIEL
Old Jan 5th, 2009, 02:00 PM

Hi Daniel. Glad to hear you're going to visit the Tower of London. I thought it was fascinating. It was crowded while we were there, but not mobbed - we went in the late afternoon.
Old Jan 5th, 2009, 02:01 PM
BKP

When you visit the crown jewels at the Jewel House it does gets a bit theme park-y. There are velvet ropes that zig zag you back and forth. There is even a conveyor belt that you ride pass the various crowns and scepters. However -- that is just the one small part. The rest of the Tower you are pretty much free to roam around and read the plaques to your hearts content.

I love the Tower and I'm sure you will too. I do understand if your friend doesn't want to go back. If that's the case -- split up and meet up with him later.
Old Jan 5th, 2009, 02:14 PM

There is nothing theme park-y about those jewels. The smaller ones are bigger than your eyeballs. They are awesome, conveyor belt or no.
Old Jan 5th, 2009, 02:20 PM

Did you question your friend about it in more detail? For instance was HE part of a tour group, or coming off a tour BUS with a large group --- then you are BOUND to feel in the midst of a mob.

If you get up bright and early, and are standing at the entry at opening time (8 am?) you will NOT be too crowded, because the tours collect their people at hotels, so don't get to major sites until 9:30 or so.

We went in early September, which was still PRIME tourist season, about 9 am, and it was not unpleasantly crowded. PS: if you haven't been since you ware a boy, you have a TREAT in store!! I hadn't been since the 1960s and in 2000, I was delighted at the improvement in the experience -- great signage, people in costume explaining stuff, etc.
Old Jan 5th, 2009, 02:26 PM

I was thought the same thing as BKP, maybe your friend was thinking about the Crown Jewels exhibit and not the Tower as a whole when he told you that.

I'm glad you've decided to listen to your heart (and the posters who responded here) instead of following your friend's advice. I come from a famiy of history lovers and when we went to the Tower a couple of years ago in April, we happily spent all day. I'm sure there are more crowds in July but there are strategies for beating the worst of them. Try doing a search on the boards, I know many posters have given tips about the best way to visit the Tower.
Old Jan 5th, 2009, 02:30 PM
Original Poster

I'm incredibly thankful to you, BKP, having confirmed something he said that sounded strange to me that I'd not mentioned in my initial query....He did say something about getting rushed through with a conveyor belt and zig-zag ropes when he mentioned the herding (which you must admit sounded horrible if that's all what a visit to the Tower had become). And given that you kind folk were saying one could explore at one's leisure, I was beginning to think he was being deceitful for a reason beyond my comprehension; so, he must be referring to the Crown Jewels section (although the way he phrased it was as if the whole Tower were like that)...

Thanks so much for this post!

Old Jan 5th, 2009, 02:49 PM

I would get a new friend.
Old Jan 5th, 2009, 02:54 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
You shouldn't skip the Tower of London. We went first thing on a Sunday morning in April and there was no one else there. Even if you go during high tourist season, first thing in the morning usually is best for famous sites.
Old Jan 5th, 2009, 03:03 PM

Here's another vote in favor of the Tower of London and taking the Yeoman Warder tour, which I found informative and enjoyable.

And definitely see the crown jewels, but the best option is to get there right when the Tower opens and see the crown jewels first thing, as lines can get very long in a hurry for this part.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -