Reload this Page >

Towels and Washcloths

Search

Towels and Washcloths

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 03:14 PM
Judy

Towels and Washcloths

OK, I know that this may give a bunch of you a good laugh and I know it isn't the most important question posted here, but I've done enough traveling around the world and have come across some swatches of fabric (I think that's what they were) hanging across towel bars in hotel rooms that never, even in their wildest dreams, should have been labeled "towels." I also know that hotels in many other countries, even if they have decent towels, don't provide wash cloths. (Are wash cloths are an American thing?) <BR> <BR>What about Italy? We'll be staying at 3 star hotels that have all received very favorable reviews on this board and elsewhere (Santa Chiara, etc.). What will the quality of the towels be like? Are they terry cloth towels or the kind that are more like linen? Would it be worth packing a towel to take with us and then leaving it there and use the extra room for bringing home souvenirs? Do they generally have wash cloths? Thanks in advance.

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 03:23 PM
janis

It is always a good idea to bring your own wash cloths. In most parts of the world the wash cloth -- or face flannel in the UK -- is a personal item. 4 & 5 star hotels do have them - but just because they have had years of Americans complaining about no washcloths. Some inns with VERY plush Egyptian cotton towels will not have wash cloths. <BR> <BR>As for what you will find - no telling. Some basic B&Bs have great towels while some 3 star hotels have rags.

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 03:24 PM
vern

Judy- <BR>Spent 4 weeks in Italy last year, staying in 3 star hotels. All had linen type towels and no wash cloths. It's your decision weather to take them with you or not, but I would not waste the room in my bag

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 03:35 PM
zzzzzzz

Judy: <BR> <BR>I think it was last year ? maybe even longer? that there was a very lengthy discussion on this forum about the "no washcloth" issue. And if I recall, several of our European contributors provided explanation that this very American penchant for a wash cloth is not considered to be the height of cleanliness --- they just wash their faces with soap, water & hands. Or any other body parts, for that matter. <BR>I've managed to travel quite successfully and live without a wash cloth. <BR> <BR>Now as to the fabric quality of towels in general, yes, I'll agree with you --- it can be a far cry from the thick, plush cotton that you may be used to. Again, I just 'go with the flow' --- I always do bring one of those super absorbent towels with me, more so for wringing out any hand laundry than drying me off.

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 03:38 PM
Mol

Yes, this is a very old, well-worn issue. Short version: washcloths -- a.k.a. face cloths or "flannels" -- are an American thing. Europeans cannot fathom why we need them and some are grossed out at the thought of using and reusing it. There are several sources of misunderstanding: <BR> <BR>1. Many Americans use the cloth only for their faces (hence "facecloth") at the sink, or perhaps in the shower. Europeans assume it's used all over the body, everywhere the soap would go. <BR> <BR>2. Many other Americans don't feel that just slathering soap and water really gets one clean -- that one must scrub with a cloth _in_ the water to get the dirt and dead skin off then, not wait for the scrubbing to happen when drying off with a towel. For many Americans, one should be clean before using the towel, and leaving dirt on the towel is a sign of poor hygiene. Some Europeans don't get that, but think that poor hygiene is using a "flannel" a second time without putting it through the wash. <BR> <BR>If you (like me) don't feel you can get your face clean without a cloth, there are several recommendations for traveling in Europe (and no, you probably won't find facecloths in Italy except perhaps in chains that cater to US travellers, and maybe not then). <BR>I carry two cloths in a Gladlock bag and use one until I can't get it clean or dry enough (with the hairblower) anymore, then I toss it. Some people pack several 40-cent cheapies at WalMart and discard them if they are still wet at check-out time. They are useful for cushioning bottles, etc. until you're through with them. <BR> <BR>My aunt, who is a bit bananas, bought a towel and used sequential corners of it, cutting notches with her nail scissors and tearing off the corner-square each time we changed locales. <BR> <BR>Others say they have purchased cloths once they got to their destination, but it could be a time-consuming adventure in cross-cultural communication. Others just ask for extra hand towels and use them. But remember, many European hotels now subscribe to the laudable practice of having you re-use your towels each day unless you insist on new ones (which you signal by leaving the towel on the floor). <BR> <BR>I adore my bathsheets at home, but I'm unwilling to give up that much room, so I try to cope with what's supplied. Many don't supply bathmats, either, which also bothers me, so I'm likely to use a towel for that. A big tip to whoever brings the extra towels is usually a great investment. <BR>

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 04:00 PM
Capo

I like the wash "mitts" (essentially a washcloth you fit your hand into) they sell in France. I enjoy using them more than a washcloth and always buy one when I'm there.

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 04:05 PM
Book Chick

Judy, <BR>This is not a stupid question! I have found none to many washcloths to be had in my European travels. As another poster indicated, sometimes the quality of the "regular" towels leaves a bit to be desired, but like almost everyone else, I refuse to allocate valuable space in my luggage for towels. <BR> <BR>I now use those Oil of Olay Daily Facials cloths that one wets, lathers up, uses & disposes of on my face. <BR> <BR>I bring a small loofah & a sponge for showers. Capo, I do believe they sell those mitts in America. Probably Drug Emporium and/or Bath & Body Works would carry them. <BR> <BR>BC

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 04:16 PM
Capo

Thanks, BC...don't believe I've ever seen them in the U.S. before. (They also come in handy for playing baseball in the shower :~) <BR> <BR>The towels we had in our pensione in Rome a few months ago were flat, with no "loft" to them. Certainly not our first choice in body-drying fabric, but they got the job done. Worst towel I ever had was in the Hotel Petit Trianon in Paris; so threadbare it was almost transparent.

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 04:45 PM
Ed

For those worried about the adequacy of towels: <BR> <BR>Carry your own super-absorbent towels. Still absorb when wet, typically you can wring out 90% of the water. They're available in many places. Julie likes one for drying her hair. <BR> <BR>A couple of representative sources: <BR> <BR>REI (the source we use) <BR>http://www.rei.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce...2&prmenbr=8000 <BR> <BR>Bruce Medical (Found at random using Google) <BR>http://www.brucemedical.com/bz1836.html <BR> <BR>twenj

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 05:04 PM
Book Chick

Ed, <BR>Also Bed,bath & Beyond carries a similar (?--I think) towel, designed for swimmers. Folds up, is very compact, but as Capo may bemoan, doesn't appear to have "loft", but is absorbent nevertheless. I think mine ran about $14.95. Bought it as I swim laps everyday, but I opt not to bring it on vacation. Usually don't have a problem making do. <BR>BC

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 05:39 PM
Judy

Thanks for all the responses. I've only been using this site for the last three months or so and it didn't even cross my mind to do a search on the issue. (I didn't think anybody besides me would care.) Also, I've never used them before but those super absorbent towels seem like a great idea. Thanks again.

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 05:50 PM
JOdy

I always go to wal-Mart or some place cheap and buy 3 or 4 wash cloths, I can't stand washing my face with my hands, and i think the cloth exfoliates your skin a little, Just throw them away after a few days. <BR> <BR>Even at home I don't like those ultra thick towels, living in Florida they never dry and really can't be used more than once as they never dry and even with AC going full blast smell sour before they dry! Never have had a problem in France or england with adequate towel supplies. ANd I adore those thin linen like towels in Italy,I think the fabric is called huck, they do the job and dry in a instant. I even bought some to bring home, them I found they really only look good when you iron them, When I retired so did my iron. At home I buy wonderful cotton towels from Portugal, they have a ribbed texture, feel great, dry rather more quickly and can be bleached to hell and gone and always look and feel terrific( and no ironing!)

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 06:01 PM
Abby

I have always used a wash cloth in the shower and for my face, but have never heard of using it again without washing it. Do some people do that? If so, I can understand why Europeans might find it to be gross. So do I.

Old Jun 13th, 2001, 03:58 AM
Elsa

How about those net things shaped into a ball with a string that can be used as a "wash cloth"? Since they are made out of nylon "netting", there's no problem with the drying situation. They will take up VERY little room in your suitcase.

Old Jun 13th, 2001, 04:11 AM
Stacey

I'm with Elsa and Book Chick - I bring one of those little net things for the shower and the Oil of Olay or Biore daily facial cloths. <BR> <BR>As for towels - I've seen all kinds and try to just laugh at the ones that would only be big enough to dry off a toddler.

Old Jun 13th, 2001, 04:18 AM
workin' girl

Those little net thingies are the best thing for washing off sunscreen or tanning oil! <BR>

Old Jun 13th, 2001, 04:36 AM
Ess

Judy, the thing I find more perplexing than no washcloths is no shower curtain or door, though maybe that's not the case in Italy. Taking a shower in France was just a quick in and out for me before I flooded the whole bathroom. I like washcloths for my face, but can live without them. What I forgot to bring and really missed was my exfoliating scrubby-gloves. Those disposable facecloths sound like a good idea.

Old Jun 13th, 2001, 09:43 AM
amy

I have to agree with Book Chick. The Oil of Olay Daily Facial Cleansing Cloths are the way to go! Just bring a big stack of 'em in a ziploc bag or something and throw them away after each use. Takes up very little space. <BR> <BR>I just read an article saying that regular washcloths can harbor a lot of bacteria if not washed after a couple uses.

Old Jun 13th, 2001, 01:53 PM
Elsa

I should probably be ashamed to admit this, but I usually go ABOUT 1 week using the same wash cloth - unless it is really humid & the thing doesn't dry or if it's dirty after I've been working in the garden & then taken a shower. Maybe those bacteria don't like me b/c I'm into my 50's and have only been sick a handful of times in my life. Plus, I never put the washcloth in my mouth.

Old Jun 13th, 2001, 04:28 PM
Joan

I'm with Elsa. I don't get this wash it after every use thing either. It gets washed every weekend. If I'm lathering up with soap and rinsing it out after, where's all the bacteria coming from? Maybe it's different in humid locales where it would sit wet for a long time, but here in California it dries very quickly. I don't see how bacteria can be building up on the cloth or having a party on my face if I'm soaping up and rinsing off every time. Like Elsa, I don't break out and I don't get sick, going on now for 43 years. Doesn't seem to be a problem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -