Reload this Page >

Tours to Ireland

Search

Tours to Ireland

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11th, 2002, 05:06 PM
Lynda Howland

Tours to Ireland

Two friends of mine (without internet access) are interested in doing an organized tour of Ireland (from the United States) in June. They are interested in recommendations from other travelers who have had good experiences with tour companies.<BR>Thanks, Lynda

Old Jan 11th, 2002, 07:02 PM
Mikey

I haven't taken one but from reading here on this site and others, CIE usually gets some of the best ratings. Also heard that Brendan and Brian Moore are also good.

Old Jan 11th, 2002, 07:18 PM
Penny

Lynda,<BR><BR>Without internet access it could be difficult. Find a travel agent that has Contiki brochures on hand. <BR><BR>They are a tour operator for 18 to 35 year olds exclusively. There is also Globus and Trafalgar, but older people tend to book those. Cosmos has some good ones and are considered budget. Mayflower is another, but they only do a limited number of cities, but give them a try anyways.<BR><BR>Happy planning.

Old Jan 11th, 2002, 08:36 PM
Dottie

We are going to Ireland and I got my best price from Brian Moore International tours. 800-982-2299. It includes air fare, car, and B&B's. You make your own reservations from the books that are sent and map out your own routes.

Old Jan 12th, 2002, 03:18 AM
aimi

I went with Worldwide country tours in Oct and enjoyed it very much. Stayed at nice hotel and bus driver was our guide. Really great guy that did extra for us and even sang for us. Did most all of the booking by phone. You could email them to get catalog sent to your friends. Same company the prints, country woman, taste of home, and several other pubs. Small tour group made it really nice.

Old Jan 12th, 2002, 07:51 AM
xxx

Went with Globus last year. It was ok, but wouldn't do it again. I'd go to Ireland on my own if I had it to do over again. No need for a tour group.

Old Jan 12th, 2002, 08:14 AM
pj

Went with celtic tours nov. 2001. Definitely would go on your own. We ended up leaving the tour group and had a much better time!!

Old Jan 12th, 2002, 08:36 AM
Lynda

I sent e-mails to those people who gave their e-mail addresses. To those whom I could not personally e-mail, I want to thank you for your helpful information. I travel a great deal and normally do not do tours, so I was at a loss as to how to help my friends. I will pass on your information to them.<BR><BR> (To Aimi - I had trouble accessing the Worldwide Tours web site. I seemed to only be able to pull up information on India, Asia, etc. Can you give me the exact web site or an e-mail address for the?)<BR><BR>Thanks, Lynda

Old Jan 12th, 2002, 09:09 AM
Penny

Lynda,<BR><BR>Brian Moore is another good one and Sceptre Tours is excellent also. Just an after thought. Sorry for answering twice.

Old Jan 12th, 2002, 09:20 AM
Geoff

Lynda,<BR><BR>Several notes. First Ireland does mean left hand drive for US/Canadian drivers, but is otherwise very easy to do. All of the tours do extremely similar circle tours if all they do is Republic of Ireland. You can easily do that yourself if that's what your friends might want. If not, with the same basic route, the differences in the tours tend to only be two - the guide and the accomodations. In general I haven't seen a huge difference in what the tours do for hotels, there is some, but not all that huge from what I've seen. In terms of guides there is a definite difference within groups. For example someone already mentioned the driver as guide, which is also what CIE tends to do. Nothing wrong with it, but you tend to get a more average guide as they have to be certified to drive as well. Your Globus seem to have lower accomodations but do have separate guides. A top tour like American Express will give you a great guide in addition to the driver. Someone like Brendan might be the best mix of a step down from the best accomodations and yet a good separate guide.

Old Jan 12th, 2002, 10:21 AM
june

We went with Celtic Tours in 1999. Our guide was the best we've had. If you can get Mick Tracey, go with Celtic.

Old Jan 12th, 2002, 10:33 AM
John

Try Collette Tours they are very good have taken several with them ther ireland tour you stay in some castles for the night check them out at www.collettevacations.com

Old Jan 12th, 2002, 12:55 PM
aimi

Lynda,<BR>Sorry, but I couldn't get web site either. Try 1-800-344-6918. My first time in a new place I try and take a tour first. Then I can go back later (-if I choose and visit what I really liked. I really was concerned about the driving on the other side of the road and shifting with my left hand etc. I'm not normally a nervous driver as I have driven all over the USA. But for the short period I think you see more overall than getting lost and spending 2 or 3 hours finding your way. For me Ireland was the countryside, which I fell in love with. We spent 2 nites in a "partial" castle in Dublin, a nite in a B&B in Sligo area and the rest hotels. In Tralee we weren't in the city, so our driver took us into down. In Kenmare we walked to the pub, however no Celtic music.<BR>Waterford City we had crystal in the bathroom to drink from. Oh, shoot, now I want to go back again soon..<BR>I know a lot of people say it's better to just go and enjoy the people, but I wanted to see the whole of Ireland. In Holland we toured for 4 days and rented a car for 3 and spent more time trying to figure out where we were and then worrying about where we would park if we got back to Amsterdam to late. <BR>Whomever they go with, I'm sure they will have a great time. <BR>

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 08:51 PM
Cathy

Went on a 10 day tour,"Meet the Irish" with Brian Moore June,2002.We had a wonderful time with a great tour director and driver.It was a no stress vacation, and we made lots of new friends! Can't wait to go back! Cathy

Old Mar 1st, 2002, 04:55 AM
dog

Since many of these tours are only bookable through a travel agent, send your friends to a reliable travel agency and have them set it up.

Old Mar 1st, 2002, 09:27 AM
AC

Lynda:<BR>I used CIE in 1999 Booked by calling <BR>1-800-cie-tours. No travel agent needed. Have a great trip!