Search

Touring the Med

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17th, 2010, 10:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Touring the Med

In May 2011 as a solo female traveler I want to visit Istanbul, Mykonos, Santorini, and Sicily in one trip. Is this possible? If so, how? Thanks for your help.
Old Oct 17th, 2010, 10:35 AM

Have you considered a cruise? Granted, you won't be spending more then a day or 2 in each port, but you don't have to carry everything around with you as you travel from place to place and you will have company (if and when you want it). Since I'm not a beach person, Santorini & Mykonos are lovely, but daytrips are plenty of time there for me! I could spend lots of time in Istanbul, but you can always go back and I've never been to Sicily so can't comment on it as a cruise port.
Old Oct 17th, 2010, 11:45 AM
ira

Hi kay,

How long do you have?

Old Oct 17th, 2010, 01:51 PM

The most important thing to do first is buy an open jaw plane ticket so you can fly into one airport and out of another, such as into Istanbul and out of Rome, having saved Sicily for after Greece. That way you don't waste time backtracking. As it is you'll need to have a lot of time at your disposal for this itinerary. There's no easy way to include Sicily. It might be possible to fly from Istanbul to Mykonos using Atlas Jet if they offer such a flight so early in the year. Normally I don't think they do until tourist demand is higher, say in June sometime. Otherwise you'll have to fly from Istanbul to Athens to get a connecting flight or ferry to either Mykonos or Santorini. There is no ferry from Istanbul to any Greek island, and a daytrip to Mykonos or Santorini presupposes that you'll be on another Greek island first. Otherwise it's not possible, regardless of what you may have been told. Distances are just too far for that.
Old Oct 17th, 2010, 05:27 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the help. ira, I have 14 nights.
Old Oct 18th, 2010, 11:54 AM

Have only been on day trips off a cruise to the 2 Greek towns. I wanted more of Mykonos but was OK with a day in Santorini.

Spent 5 nights in Sicily (Palermo and Siracusa as bases) and wanted 2 or 3 more days.

Haven't been to Istanbul. So, based on my one trip, I'd say 7-8 days in Sicily, 2 nights on Mykonos with trip to Santorini and the rest for Istanbul.

Wait, you have to travel between town so you'll lose either 1/2 or 1 day traveling between each major place. Brotherleelove2004 is absolutely spot on about flying into one place and leaving from another.

Am going to look at a map now and think about whether you should start in Sicily or the others.
Old Oct 18th, 2010, 12:02 PM

Googling shows cruises that might cover your Greece and Istanbul desires. Then fly to Sicily. You can easily bus and/or train across Sicily and catch major sites.

Or fly to Palermo first, travel around Sicily and see if there is a cruise leaving from eastern Sicily for Greece, Istanbul.

Other Fodorites, is that possible?
Old Oct 18th, 2010, 12:43 PM

I think the best option is to save Sicily for a future trip, as the Greek islands and Turkey is definitely doable, even if you choose other islands.
Old Oct 18th, 2010, 06:11 PM
Original Poster

Everyone, thanks for your advice. I did decide on a Holland America tour that covers everything but Sicily which I will save for 2012.
Old Oct 19th, 2010, 06:08 AM

Best luck and please write a trip report!