Reload this Page >

Touring Sissinghurst Gardens

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14th, 2000, 06:02 PM
Kathryn Brookfield

<BR>I will be in London - May 2-10th - and do want to visit Sissinghurst on a weekday to avoid the weekend crowds. I have heard of tours that visit multiple gardens, however, I was hoping to spend, most of a day, or atleast half a day there. I also would prefer to either get there via train or via a tour. Any suggestions/recommendations? <BR>Kathryn, Ottawa, Ontario <BR>

Old Apr 14th, 2000, 07:34 PM
Jeanne Mills

Dear Kathryn, <BR> <BR>You don't need a guide to visit Sissinghurst. You can go any day, wander where you wish and stay as long as you like. Be sure to go into Sackville-West's tower, her writing room. Virginia Woolf, Vita's long-time lover wrote "Orlando" at Sissinghurst. <BR> <BR>There is a brief presentation by a docent in the drawing room; it's given several times daily and is quite interesting. <BR> <BR>There are several Internet sites for Sissinghurst. One is www.sissons.demon.co.uk/sisnghst.htm, but if you type Sissinghurst into any search engine, many other sites will appear. <BR> <BR>There's an interesting book about Sackville-West and her husband, Harold Nicolson written by their son, Nigel Nicolson (who lives in a wing of the castle). I've had book for years and I would think it's hard to get in the States now, but they sell it in the Sissinghurst book store. <BR> <BR>Sissinghurst is owned by the National Trust. There is a small fee to enter the gardens unless you are a National Trust member. By the way, Sisinghurst is rather small compared to many British gardens, more comprehendable. <BR> <BR>I always drive so I don't know about trains, but many trains go to Kent so I would suggest you find out about that while you are there. It won't be difficult. <BR> <BR>I hope you have a fine time there. <BR> <BR>Jeanne

Old Apr 15th, 2000, 03:04 AM
Ben Haines

Fodors <BR> <BR>Dear Ms Brookfield, <BR> <BR>I'd say by train from Charing Cross or London Bridge to Staplehurst, then there's certainly a taxi service and probably a bus service from Staplehurst to Sissinghurst. If you phone the castle from London they will readily tell you. <BR> <BR>Please write if can help further. Welcome to England. <BR> <BR>Ben Haines, London <BR> <BR>Touring Sissinghurst Gardens <BR>

Old Apr 15th, 2000, 03:12 AM
Ben Haines

Fodors <BR> <BR>Dear Ms Brookfield, <BR> <BR>I'd say by train from Charing Cross or London Bridge to Staplehurst, then there's certainly a taxi service and probably a bus service from Staplehurst to Sissinghurst. If you phone the castle from London they will readily tell you. <BR> <BR>Please write if can help further. Welcome to England. <BR> <BR>Ben Haines, London <BR> <BR>Touring Sissinghurst Gardens <BR>

Old Apr 15th, 2000, 11:43 AM
Joyce

Sissinghurst is open Tues-Fri, 1300-1830, and they have timed tickets. Most tourbooks recommend arriving late in the day. <BR> <BR>I'm planning on visit Sissinghurst and many other historic houses in Kent in late May. Write if you have further questions.