Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Touring France and Spain in two weeks
Notices

Touring France and Spain in two weeks

Jun 9th, 2012, 06:46 AM
Original Poster

Touring France and Spain in two weeks

Hi, my wife and I are planning a two week tour of france and spain. It is the first time we'll be in europe and we plan to spend a week each in each country. We are totally clueless on where's a must go and what's the best way to travel around.

Appreciate any help given. Thanks!
Jun 9th, 2012, 07:03 AM

I would suggest you go and either buy a travel guide to both countries or have a look in your local library and then decide where you would like to go, then come back with a provisional itinerary and get some comments. Also lets us know when you are going, and what your budget is. Too be honest I don't think there are must sees, it's what you want to see and do. Have look as well at the tourist websites for each country.
Jun 9th, 2012, 07:07 AM

Two weeks is not enough time to see two countries. You should narrow your focus to perhaps two cities, rather than two countries. I would be hard pressed to see more than one country in two weeks.

I'm planning for a one week+ trip next spring and have chosen Barcelona - one city.

Visit Paris for a week and then fly to one destination in Spain. Fly into one city and home from the other city so you don't have to backtrack.

Get some guide books and start looking at them. Get some travel DVDs from your local library. Decide what type of vacation you want - art, sporty, beach, etc. and then find places in France and Spain that fit your interests.

Why did you decide on these two countries if you don't have a particular interest in specific cities/towns.

Best way to travel around depends on where you're going. In cities use public transportation and your feet. In the countryside a rental car is a better option.
Jun 9th, 2012, 07:15 AM

I think you need to pull back on the reins here a bit. I've been going to France annually for 40 years or so and have yet to see half of it. Grab a book and have a look at areas within each. Paris is a weeks worth, Barcelona another, Bordeaux another etc.

For my first visit I suggest Seville/Cordoba/Malaga, Alsace/Champagne.
Jun 9th, 2012, 07:18 AM

I suggest you do some research with the many guides in print or on the www.
Without knowing what floats your boat, where you are from and where you can fly into, there is little to be said. Additionally, 'the best way to travel around' is flight, train, and bus and all could have a place and will depend on where you wish to go. Neither can you tour two countries the size of France and Spain in two weeks, so decisions are certainly required on what you want from this tour.
Jun 9th, 2012, 08:47 AM

San Sebastián and Sevilla are my two favourite cities in Spain after some twenty-five years of intensive travel in the country. Very different cities though.

San Sebastián is on the Northern coast close to the French border, the food capital of Spain, some of the finest city beaches on the continent, beautiful landscapes, a local culture that people take great pride in and a favourite summer destination for predominantly Spanish and French vistitors for some 150 years. http://travel.nytimes.com/2011/08/07...tin-spain.html
http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandsty...rink.shopping2

Go to San Sebastián by train or fly to close by Bilbao. Direct bus from the airport to SS in 70 mins.

Sevilla is the queen of the cities in the South and full of Roman, Moorish, Jewish, Gitano and Christian history and culture. Flamenco, bulls, etc. etc. but also art, archtitecture and a vibrant, diverse and modern city that it's easy to fall in love with. http://www.andalucia.com/cities/sevilla.htm

The capital Madrid is also wonderful, especially if you like art and nightlife. http://www.esmadrid.com/en/portal.do
Jun 9th, 2012, 11:37 PM

'San Sebastián and Sevilla are my two favourite cities in Spain' and 'Very different cities though.' - I agree and concur, but are you happy losing one day in your two weeks to travel almost the length of the country? And is it really two weeks with entrance and exit days into Europe from wherever?
Jun 10th, 2012, 03:13 AM

WomBatt,

I would suggest either or, not both San Sebastián and Sevilla
Jun 10th, 2012, 04:03 AM

kimhe,

I knew that but does the OP, being 'clueless'?

Search this Thread