Tour to D-Day Beaches from Le Havre

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4th, 2008, 06:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We've just booked a cruise with a port of call in Le Havre. We'd like to spend the day seeing the D-Day sites (Utah and Omaha Beaches, American Cemetery, etc), and are trying to compare the ship's shore excursion with booking our own tour.

Does anyone know of tour companies or private tour operators that would pick up from Le Havre?

Thanks!
Annette
Old Feb 4th, 2008, 06:44 PM

You probably won't beat the ship's price if you insist on a private tour. If you are willing to rent car and drive yourself, you'll probably save money; you'll certainly save money if you band together with two other people and share the cost of a car.
Old Feb 4th, 2008, 07:01 PM

I'd probably take the www.busverts.fr to Caen, see the Peace Museum, then pick up a driver/guide at the Tourist Information Center. They charge by the carload, and are easily the equal of any canned tours in terms of knowledge. Many of them are locals, and carry family lore about the occupation and liberation.
Old Feb 5th, 2008, 04:37 AM

This is one situation where the cruise ship tour might be preferable, assuming you have only a day. Le Havre is quite a hike from any of the Normandy beaches, so all other things being equal, any arrangement is going to be both more expensive and tighter on time than if you were based closer to the area.

If this is one of those Seine river cruises, they will begin and terminate in Paris. Even though it means backtracking, I would in your situation rail from Paris to Caen or Bayeux at the beginning or end of your tour, and then spend a couple of days in the area, either with or without the assistance of a professional guide - worth it!
Old Feb 29th, 2008, 05:44 AM

When my cousins visited Normandy they used Eric from Normandy Town & Country tours. He is a native english speaking tourist guide and does one day tours of the D Day beaches American sector. They said he was really good and would recommend him
Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 04:07 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, all for your replies!

I'm leaning towards the shore excursion from the ship -- the logistics seem easier, but I'm interested in the company you mention, JKMELT. A Google search doesn't come up with anything under "Normandy Town and Country Tours," though. Do you have a link to them?

I appreciate all the help here on Fodors!
Annette
Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 04:46 PM

A one-day car rental is normally the same cost as a 3-day car rental, so I don't think you're going to get any bargains driving yourself.
Old Mar 12th, 2008, 11:32 AM

We are going to be in le havre on May 27 and are lo0king for 2-4 more people to share private tour.
Check out the site for Normandy Beach Boys. If interested, let me kn ow.
Old Mar 12th, 2008, 11:39 AM
Original Poster

We're going to be in Le Havre on July 9, so we'll miss you by a few weeks.

I would be interested in learning more about Normandy Beach Boys -- do you have a web address for them?

Annette
Old Mar 12th, 2008, 11:41 AM

http://users.breathe.com/martin.reev...beachboys.html
Old Mar 16th, 2008, 09:29 PM

Hi Annette,

Any chance you are on the Splendor???
If so join us on the roll call on the Cruisecritic.com board. We are making some great plans & would love for you too join us.

We you able to find tours of Normandy or tickets to the Last Supper? I have been working on the tours but hadn't thought of the tickets until I read your post....