Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Tour of all of Michelangelo's works in Florence?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29th, 2006, 09:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know of any tours of all of Michelangelo's works in Florence? I've been a fan of Michelangelo since I was a teenager. This is my dream trip of a lifetime & I would like to see all his works. Know of any tours? I would greatly appreciate any help you can give me. Many thanks.
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 09:46 AM

I don't know of any such tour -- I'm curious too to know if there is one, but if there is, someone here will know . But, it is not too difficult to design your own. Florence is a compact city and very easy to walk around. During a short visit there last year I had as one of my goals to see as many Michelangelo works as I could, and I was able to see almost all the ones open to the public. This does take a fair amount of research and advance planning, however. If you decide to go that route and have any questions, just let me know! Meanwhile, good luck in finding an all-Michelangelo tour, and enjoy Florence - it was my favorite city in Italy.
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 09:57 AM
ira

Hi luv,

See http://www.waf.it/audiog/7.php

He also did the facade of the Villa San Michele in Fiesole.

Also see Michelangelo at Wikipedia
http://tinyurl.com/nstxr

Much of his best work is not in Florence.

Old Aug 29th, 2006, 10:17 AM

http://florence.contexttravel.com/ca....php?p=STR3489

Check out this link for Context Rome for their Florence Michelangelo walking tour. This tour company originated in Rome is is VERY highly regarded on both this board and at slowtrav.com. This link if for their small group tour and it probably will not visit ALL of Michelangelo's work. You could contact them for a comprehensive list of what they visit and then supplement on your own or do a private tour wherby you call the shots!
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 10:45 AM

I just finished reading "the agony and the ecstasy" which is the reason we are visiting florence. The last two pages of the appendix list the locations of all surviving Michaelangelo sculptures. We plan on seeing just about all of it in two days in florence. The accademia, medici chapel and Bargallo cover 90% of his important works in florence.
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 11:41 AM
TC

On our last trip to Florence, we stayed in the B&B, Antica Dimora. They were offering a guided tour at that time that featured the works of Michelangelo. We took the tour with a wonderful young lady - an art historian who spoke perfect English. She ushered us to all the museums and locations around Florence with Michelangelo art or connection. It was an inspiring tour. Unfortunately, I do not have her name or a contact. However, you might try emailing this B&B with the question. They may still work with her.

http://www.anticadimorafirenze.it/

You might also try this Michelangelo tour from Context. I have not worked with them, but they are listed on the Italian "Slow Travel", a site I find to be highly reliable.

http://florence.contexttravel.com/ca....php?p=STR3489
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 12:02 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
luvitaly, you should read The Agony and the Ecstasy then, if you haven't already. It is a phenomenal read and will really get you in the mood for a trip to Florence. I followed the list of all his works in the back of that book (that khepps mentions above) and found all the works myself, and used a separate art guide to Michelangelo's works to learn more on my own. I plan to do the same if/when (when!) I return to Rome.
Old Aug 31st, 2006, 05:45 PM
Original Poster

To all of you who replied, thank you. I read the agony & Ecstacy probably 30 years ago-which first gave me the desire to see his works. Unfortunately, I don't have the list from the back of the book but I'll try to get a copy so I can get the list. We are also going to Rome so it will be helpful to have a list for Rome also.
When I was younger I dabbled in painting & sculpture which also trigered my desire to see his works. My grandparents all immigrated from Italy so I have a lot of reasons to want to got there. I'm so excited!
I will try all the suggestions you gave me. Thanks again!
Old Aug 31st, 2006, 06:08 PM

if there isnt there should be.
I would love going on a michelangelo only tour.

Seeing David and the Pieta will change you forever. I cant wait to show my sister the Pieta in Oct.

Old Sep 1st, 2006, 04:19 AM
ira

Hi JO,

>I cant wait to show my sister the Pieta in Oct.<

I think that the best view of the pieta is from above at the top of the stairs.

Old Sep 1st, 2006, 04:22 AM

In Rome,be sure to stop by the Palazzo Farnese (now the French Embassy) in Piazza Farnese,tucked behind Campo dei Fiori.
Old Sep 1st, 2006, 05:30 PM

thanks Ira...
Old Sep 1st, 2006, 06:50 PM

Well,what about me?