Tour Guide in Prague

Oct 5th, 2007, 11:36 AM
Original Poster

Tour Guide in Prague

Does anyone have a great recommendation of a private tour guide in Prague - also hotels. etc.
Oct 6th, 2007, 12:05 AM

When we were in Prague we used Ilona Zahradnikova. We thought she was very good.

We took a 4 hour morning walking tour. We visited the Castle, Cathedral, the Goldsmith's street, saw the changing of the guard, saw the clock in Old Town Square strike the hour, walked across Charles Bridge, walked down Wenceslaus Square & saw the Balcony where Waclaw Havel led the "Velvet Revolution".

She can be reached at:

Na Morani 8
128 00
Praha 2
Czech Republic

tel: 420 224 92 02 91
cell: 603 492 811
e-mail: [email protected]

When we stayed in Prague we stayed at the Prague Palace. I thought it was a lovely hotel and the staff were extremely helpful. Like all European hotels the rooms were miniscule but there were brand new furnishings & immaculately clean.

The location was perfect just 3 blocks from Old Town Square, a few blocks off Wenceslaus Square and directly across the street from the Mucha Museum.

If you do a search here in the Czech Forum on Prague you will find a lot of info on things to see & do & hotel recommendations.
Oct 6th, 2007, 10:28 AM

We used a guide recommended by Rick Steves and she was wonderful. Great knowledge of the city and its history, restaurant recommendations that fit many pocketbooks and a good knowledge of English. She showed us how to use public transportation and gave us an overview of the city. We told her ahead of time what we wanted to see and she followed my desires and added a few things of her own which were great.
Her name is Sarka Pelantova, [email protected]
Oct 6th, 2007, 12:59 PM

Taken from my excessively long trip report by the same name;

The next morning at 9 oí clock sharp our guide Jana arrived at our apartment. Both Rick Steves and this forum recommended a guide by the name of Sarka. Of course with that much publicity Sarka was booked solid. She has since started a small tour guide business of sorts and she suggested we try Jana. We arranged in advance to spend two consecutive mornings with her. I liked the idea of two four hour morning sessions as opposed to one long day with her as my brain can hold only so much information. At a certain point you can process only so much and after that no matter how beautiful, how historic or how unique something is you just donít appreciate it like you should. She met us at our apartment and we took the tram into town where she took us to a cute little café. There we sat down and she gave us a brief history of Prague as well as an interesting lesson on the architecture we would be seeing. Then she listened to what our interests were and what it was that we really wanted to see. We decided on a brief overview of two town sections each morning. Jana (pronounced Yana) was awesome. Some guides are very knowledgeable and some are very personable, Jana was both. She was entertaining and was able to answer all our questions, of which we asked quite a few. Iím not sure how to explain it, but with some guides itís like youíre on a ride at Disney World. Itís enjoyable but you always have that feeling that youíre on a fixed narrow path with no deviation allowed. With Jana you could tell she wasnít reading through some preplanned script in her mind but rather she just enjoyed talking about her beautiful city. We didnít feel like we were just ďthat dayís clientsĒ but felt more like we were her friends that she was showing around while we were in town. After we finished with each morningís tour she then gave us hints for what to do that afternoon, including places to eat and where to shop. I believe we gave her the US equivalent of $100 total for the four of us for what was supposed to be eight hours of touring. In reality it was closer to nine or ten I would think. All four of us gave Jana two thumbs way up!

www.prague-guide.info [email protected] 420-777-225-205
Oct 7th, 2007, 01:51 AM
lyb

bookmarking
Oct 7th, 2007, 07:46 AM

bookmarking
Oct 7th, 2007, 07:55 AM

bookmarking
Oct 7th, 2007, 02:25 PM

What do you need a tour guide for? All of Prague is right there within youir feet-walking distance. Find any hotel close to the Charles Bridge, or olde-towne and go see. Go across the bridge (either way) and all that anyone wants is right there in front of you. Say hello to St. Nicolas Church for me, o.k?
Oct 10th, 2007, 01:15 PM

I highly recommend Dana Chaloupka as a private guide in Prague.
http://www.sweb.cz/travelcz/

She will tailor your itinerary if you have specific requests or can take you to the main parts of Prague or out of town destinations. I hired her for three days and did a half day tour of Old Town and a trip to Karlstejn Castle. I liked having the one-on-one contact and she answered my many questions about local Czech culture and customs. Certainly the buildings are all right there in front of you but I think a guide can give you historic context and added cultural relevance.
Oct 10th, 2007, 08:09 PM

bookmarking
Oct 21st, 2007, 10:48 AM

I can highly recommend Jana Reichlova. She was already mentioned previously, but I just want to echo how amazing she is. I traveled to Prague with my husband and his parents last month, September 2007. I arranged to meet with Jana after reading about her on this site. She lived up to the hype. She was friendly, educated, and enthusiastic about Prague. She told us all about the history, culture, and political environment. She answered all of our questions, and even recommended some wonderful affordable restaurants. Her email address is [email protected]. Jana made our trip to Prague one of my favorite vacations!!