Reload this Page >

Tour guide $65 hr., fair price?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 06:12 PM
Dianna

Going on a mediterranean cruise May 20th and wondered if it's wise to book private tours ahead or negotiate at the port. I posted on the city of Palermo's site and got a response from a woman who says she is a tour guide and charges $65. an hour with no car. I understand you can walk that city pretty easily. There are 8 of us, 2 elderly. For Rome a lot of you recommended scalareale.org. The other large city is Barcelona. Cannes, Palma and Tunis are the other ports.

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 06:18 PM
Howard

Is that $65 for all eight of you or $65 apiece?

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 06:20 PM
sam

THAT IS A TOTAL RIPOFF. DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, pay that exorbitant rate for a tour. Have a good time, and God Bless.

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 06:29 PM
StCirq

If it's $65 for all eight of you per hour, I'd say it's a good deal. If it's per person, I'd say it's a rip-off. A good guide book would cost you maybe $25, and you could tour yourselves.

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 06:35 PM
Marc David Miller

1. Compare that price to a private guide in Rome/Florence--it probably is in line.<BR><BR>2. Call her and spend five or ten minutes on the phone with her, asking about sights and restaurants and the like. If you feel comfortable that she is knowlegeable, book her.

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 06:36 PM
Marc David Miller

1. Compare that price to a private guide in Rome/Florence--it probably is in line.<BR><BR>2. Call her and spend five or ten minutes on the phone with her, asking about sights and restaurants and the like. If you feel comfortable that she is knowlegeable, book her. This is how I decide whether or not to hire a guide and I have never hired a dud.

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 06:39 PM
Dianna

I assume the $65 an hr. was for all eight of us. I saw somewhere where $50. was about average. It would be about $25 a person for 3 hours. Anyone walk Palermo, we are there from 8:30-4:30. Shops are closed in middle of the day.