Tour du Mont Blanc

Search

Tour du Mont Blanc

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23rd, 2023, 04:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tour du Mont Blanc

We are hiking the TMB (60 miles in 6 days) leaving from Chamonix going the traditional counter clockwise route and staying in inns with luggage being transported by tour company. We begin 8/5! For this time of year, I am curious about hiking in shorts vs pants? We are prepared for all types of weather, particularly rain. I'm looking for ideas of must haves, what to leave at home, etc. Thanks for any crucial tips you may have. I am a 57 year old female with great hiking experience in the US only.
Old Jul 24th, 2023, 01:18 AM

Have a look a the weahter forecast before leaving
https://www.meteoswiss.admin.ch/loca...ab=detail-view
Old Jul 24th, 2023, 03:48 AM

Regardless of weather, I’m not sure I’d do shorts because of insects and some types of vegetation you might not want to brush up against. My 2 cents.
Old Jul 24th, 2023, 04:25 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Giant Hogweed (berce du Caucase) is present around Mont Blanc (no I don't know where or how much there is) be aware.
Old Jul 24th, 2023, 05:44 AM

I’ve never done the TMB, but would love to do so. I’m looking forward to your report. But I have hiked a lot in the US, Europe, South America. My two cents: I never hike in shorts, even in warm weather. Same reason as others have given—vegetation, rough spots on trail (and, I’d add, sun exposure). I find thin, synthetic hiking pants perfect for all summer hiking—and they dry quickly when you wash them in your room. I’ve not used them, but there are those synthetic hiking pants that have zip off legs that turn them into shorts, which might give you the perfect solution. Enjoy this great adventure!
Old Jul 24th, 2023, 08:11 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kellbell39
We are prepared for all types of weather, particularly rain.
I hiked the TMB in mid September a few years ago, and in fact had all types of weather, particularly rain! (And a lot of wind.) I did keep an eye on the forecast, as neckervd suggesting, using both that Swiss site and Weather Underground. This was the forecast for Les Houches. You can guess which day I started my hike (hint, Monday).

Because of that I decided to throw in some gaiters, they proved invaluable due to the amount of mud on the trail.

For raingear I highly recommend something better than a poncho, which some people had and were close to worthless. Have a real rain pant and jacket set. Also a good pack cover.

I never hike in shorts either, and echo what was said above.

I had a similar experience on the Walkers Haute Route a couple years later in mid-August. But I will not be there when you will, so perhaps you'll have good weather.
Old Jul 25th, 2023, 01:42 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much. I will go with the pants for sure and I do have gaitors!
Old Jul 25th, 2023, 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by kellbell39
We are hiking the TMB (60 miles in 6 days) leaving from Chamonix going the traditional counter clockwise route and staying in inns with luggage being transported by tour company. We begin 8/5! For this time of year, I am curious about hiking in shorts vs pants? We are prepared for all types of weather, particularly rain. I'm looking for ideas of must haves, what to leave at home, etc. Thanks for any crucial tips you may have. I am a 57 year old female with great hiking experience in the US only.
8/5? Does that mean 5.August?

I always use shorts when I hike, no matter what. It has to be close to zero before I change to pants. But that is a personal preference.
Old Jul 25th, 2023, 08:38 AM

FWIW (and perhaps you are already geared up and the time for expensive express shipping is impractical in relation to your imminent departure). That said, I find my Outdoor Research brand gortex rain jacket and rain pants to be perfectly designed. They also make a good gortex rain/sun hat on a cord that’s handy. With rain paints, as you probably know, it’s important to get the type that you can quickly get into over your boots since (these usually have zips or snaps) since you are often putting them on during sudden downpours. And for a comfortable backpack with an integrated rain cover I really like Osprey brand. (I don’t work for either company, but have bought and returned lots of gear to REI —a US-based store—over the years.) Again, maybe too late bec you have what you need, but just wanted to flag in case helpful to you or others planning similar trips. I can’t wait to hear about your hike-I need to do this trip one summer (fall is not a time when IU can travel). Have a great time!