Tour de France in July

Search

Tour de France in July

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20th, 2009, 04:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tour de France in July

Hi All - we'll be in France during the Tour de France in July and would love to see some of it -- if even just to watch the cyclists go by for an hour. I see from the schedule

http://www.letour.fr/2009/TDF/COURSE..._parcours.html

that it will end in Issoudun on Tues July 14 and start in Vatan on the 15th. Does anyone know how this works? If we head for Issoudun on Tuesday afternoon (what time??) will we be able to see them cycling? Should we head south of Issoudun? What time do they "finish" for the day?
Old Apr 20th, 2009, 05:24 AM

Hi Max, You'll love Letour. We followed the tour in France from 2001 through 2006, we missed 07 & 08 but this year we are returning again. There is nothing like seeing Letour live, it's the most fantastic international party that you can imagine. We love it. We will be among the groups of people that camp along the roadside and on the mountaintops.

Logistically following the tour takes a lot of planning, even to see one stage. It will take the whole day because of the closure of the roads and the popularity of the tour, you can't imagine the crowds that you'll encounter, people often park miles away and think nothing of walking 10 miles to find a good spot to see the riders go by. You may need to arrive at your chosen location very early in the morning, we often head out by 6 if we have not camped in our spot the evening before.

In a few weeks the turn by turn route will be announced on the website, a good detailed map will help and you can use that as a guide as to where you might wish to stand to watch. Thinking of how easily it will be to get to your chosen spot and equally important how easily you can get out. Traffic all day will be a nightmare, but just relax, everybody is in the same boat so people don't get cranky about it, just a lot of laughing and joking together.

Each day the sporting paper L'equipe will have the following days route and the estimated time that the racers will be passing each kilometer, as well as the time that the roads will be closed, this is an invaluable guide. You'll need this to help you maneuver around closed roads, this is also great if you happen to be visiting in an area the tour is traveling through to avoid getting stuck in Tour traffic.

Have a great time, the Tour is a fantastic experience.
Old Apr 20th, 2009, 06:00 AM

You've gotten great information above. I just want to add that wherever you watch it, get there incredibly early and bring plenty of water. Most of the hubbub revolves around the promotional vehicles that stream by for about an hour before you see the riders. People practically trample each other to get the freebies they toss out of the cars: sausages, cheese, caps, T-shirts, string backpacks, playing cards, you name it.

The actual riders will zoom by you in about two nanoseconds and then be gone before you even blink.
Old Apr 20th, 2009, 06:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks celticharper! Ok, so this shows how naive I am, I didn't know it was an all day affair!

Where do I pick up that paper L'equipe? Any market in any town? I will be in Amboise the day before, will I be able to find it there?

Good to know that the website will be updated too!

If you stand in one spot, how long does it take for all of the cyclists to go through??
Old Apr 20th, 2009, 06:05 AM
Original Poster

Ah, I see... thanks StCirq!
Old Apr 20th, 2009, 12:49 PM

There could be a breakaway and the their will be several groups of riders that go by, you should try to hit a
spot that is well into the race and maybe on a curve or
a turn (they will have to slow a bit.. I went to a start
once that was fun, got there very early 9:00 am for a 12:00 PM start and stood up against the fence by the start. Around 11:45 all of the cyclist started lining up and they were just
parked there, we were able to talk to them and see them all start, that was fun as well.

Susan
Old Apr 20th, 2009, 03:29 PM

You can find L'equipe in any Tabac (newsstand) in even the smallest village. The info is in French of course, but the charts, timetables, racer placeings and listings are easily understood.

Seeing a stage of the tour is an all day affair, but it is one you will never forget. Bring lots of water, a picnic, with plenty to share for you'll find your neighbors very friendly and you'll have everything from homemade wine to gourmet meals offered to you, it's nice to have something to offer in return. My love affair with France started with the kindness of the many people I met at the side of the road following the Tour.
Old Apr 20th, 2009, 03:41 PM

this question comes up every year so I found an old thread and here is one of my postings from a thread a few years
ago.

What should you expect at the tour?? An incredible international party. Entire families spend the day on the mountains because the road is closed early in the morning so get there early. You'll meet wonderful people from all over the world. People wear funny costumes and hats and paint on the road. There are areas that can be rowdy with drunken fans that's true, but if you walk a bit up the road you'll be surrounded by a very family friendly crowd, it really is wonderful fun for the children so every stage has tons of kids.

One hour before the riders arrive, the publicity caravan comes through. These are delightful parade vehicles and team representatives, they throw out trinkets, food, water bottles, keychains, hats magazines and Paris Disney always throws out a great comic book to all the kids.

When the riders are getter closer you'll hear the crowd get quieter as they all listen for the helicopters for that is the first sign the riders are close. There is something incredible about hearing the sounds of the helicopter very close and yet not seeing it in the sky, only to look over and find the helicopter 200 feet away as it slowly rises from the lower part of the mountain as it follows the leaders and you can look the pilot in the eye.

Then the leaders come through and the cheers are deafening, and continue until every single rider has passed by. The stragglers at the back very often get pushed up the mountain by a series of fans who put their hands on the riders bottom and push them till the next fan takes over.

During the stage on Luz Ardiden when Lance Fell, I was with a lovely French family who had been repeating the radio broadcast for me in a slowed down version so I could understand, until it was announce that Lance fell, and they didn't know what was happening either so they called their son in Italy who was watching the race on TV to tell us what had happened.

Madame was so thrilled to tell her son she was standing next to an American on the mountain that I didn't have the heart to tell her you couldn't swing a cat without hitting an American at the tour that year.

That's how I've experienced the tour with French fans and indeed fans from all over the world all around.

I've always felt very welcomed by the French fans I've met on the roads and they love that Americans now love and respect their beloved Letour.

Is that enough of a sales pitch
Old Apr 20th, 2009, 04:03 PM
Original Poster

celticharper, thanks again so much for this! this turned out as a nice-to-see originally on our trip itinerary, but now has become a must-see! Truly an experience that we lucked into, as we just happen to be in the area on one of the days they pass through!
Old Apr 20th, 2009, 04:08 PM

Well, I suppose it depends on where you go to see it. I wouldn't have called it an international party or even that huge of a deal when they've come through the Dordogne. We didn't have helicopters or more than a handful of Americans. Nobody was wearing a costume or painting the road. The town was bulging with onlookers, yes, but nothing like what you describe. Still, it was exciting.
Old Apr 20th, 2009, 05:20 PM

We've seen stages in various parts of France but in the Pyrennees and the Alps particularly, there are people who go crazy with costumes, decorated cars, campers, campsites, it's wild. Alpe d'huez is an amazing experience.

We've camped by the side of the road with Spaniards on one side of our tent, Germans on the other side with the French and Dutch contingent on the other side of the road. That's what I mean when I say international party. We all came together to have a great picnic.

That may be the difference, we camp on the road the night before many stages or on the mountaintop. We love camping in the fields that farmer's mow and put signs out for free camping. We meet a lot of people camping together and find a whole group that follows the tour from one stage to another, we learned to watch for what we called "Arrivee's" the directional arrow signs that people cut down after the race to put in their car/camper windows to indicate they are following the tour. I don't rest until I get one every year .

I have a great picture of my car with it's American flag and the windows painted with Go Lance written in yellow window paint, parked next to a German man's car with it's German flag and Go Jan in the yellow paint. He had been teasing me saying Jan is better than Lance when I handed him the window paint and said prove it, He took the challenge and painted his own windows with Go Jan. We both had a great laugh when we stood across the roadn to look at the wonderful sporting picture our cars made together. When the riders past I cheered for jan and he cheered for Lance.

My husband rode in the amateurs L'etape race that ran from Limoges to St Fleur(sic) in 2004. We found a bit less "party" in that region, but still a not to miss experience.
Old Apr 20th, 2009, 06:15 PM

Sounds very festive. We don't camp because we have a house that is in a village that is often near the route. It's obviously not such an outrageous happening here - just locals and a few tourists gathering to catch some goodies from the promotional vehicles plus a 2-second view of the racers as they round the corner in the main square of Le Bugue.

I once got caught in that sort of madness near Spa in Belgium toward the beginning of the Tour, completely without foreknowledge, and it was incredibly frustrating trying to stay clear of all the vehicles and bicycles and find a room for the night (this was years ago and several days before the beginning of the race but there wasn't a hotel room to be had for miles around us). That wasn't fun.

But yes, there are places where there is complete bedlam and probably more places, like my village, where it's just more of a neighborly get-together with a little more action than usual. I think those spots outweigh the international party scenes, from what I've experienced.
Old Apr 20th, 2009, 06:45 PM

This is great information. We are hoping to watch one stage on July 11th. Andorra to St Girons. Thinking of "camping/sleeping in the car" on the night of 10th July somewhere on the mountain.

As a rough guide how long is it likely to get out of the area once the riders go through. Do they open the roads fairly quickly?
Old Apr 20th, 2009, 09:46 PM

My experiences have been more along the lines of what St. cirq describes. I can't stress enough, though, trying to get a viewing spot on an uphill stretch - preferably with some curves. Otherwise, they fly by so fast, you really have to take care not to blink.

I made the mistake of seeing the tour once in a little village in the Alpilles - long downhill stretch. It was (at that point) Lance's last tour. All I saw of him was a yellow blur.

This year I'll be going to see the Mt. Ventoux stage, but strategically locating myself on the last "warm-up" climb which is in the hills behind our village and well before the Mt. Ventoux itself. It's a fun event and a greatexcuse for a picnic, but personally, I'm not enough of a fan to want to camp out - or try to get back down the Mt. Ventoux in a traffic jam after the race.

By the way, roads around here reopen about an 1/2 hour after the riders go through - give or take. May be different up in the mountains...

-Kevin
Old Apr 21st, 2009, 03:25 AM

Roads open up about a half-hour afterward where I am, too. And because of the layout of my town, the riders are forced to slow down to get around a major turn to ride over a bridge out of it - they still go by so fast you can hardly get a photo.
Old Apr 21st, 2009, 04:27 AM

How long it takes to leave the area after the racers pass differs with the area. If it's a mountaintop finish there may be few roads out so the traffic will all be traveling on one or two roads. If that's the case be patient.

As for sleeping in the car the night before a stage, you won't be alone, there are a lot of people who do this.

I warned one poster a few years ago that he wasn't going to be able to get from Grenoble to Alpe d'huez on the morning of the race even leaving at dawn, but he didn't believe me, he sat stuck in traffic and never made it anywhere near the racers.

For flat stages there are many more spots and villages to watch the race from and StCirq is right they are more relaxed, but still a lot of fun, especially if you can get to the start or finish village. The stage on July 14th is also always a bit more exciting, because it becomes part of the day's celebration.
Old Apr 21st, 2009, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone again for all the info! We are interested in Stage 10 on July 14th. If we plan to go to the finish line in Issoudun that day, do you think we still need to get there FIRST thing in the a.m.?

What time do they finish usually, would it be late in the day? I will definitely get the newspaper the day before that is suggested above, but just wondering if you had any more insight on this.

We don't have a lot of time in the area so was hoping to see a chateau first thing in the a.m. and then head down to Issoudun around 11-noon. Is that a crazy thought, or is it possible?
Old Apr 21st, 2009, 10:16 AM

Think about going to the finish town and finding a spot somewhere just before the boarded-off part of the run-in to the finish begins.
Old Apr 22nd, 2009, 06:46 AM

The problem with heading to Issoudun around 11 is that many roads will be closed depending upon the route, if you're lucky the chateau you are visiting is on the opposite site of town from the tour. Traffic will be crazy and by 11 parking may be several miles out from the finish.

The tour organizers time the start to have the racers arrive at the finish around 5PM. I have seen people wait for several hours at the finish line to hold a great viewing spot waiting for the racers, please don't ask me how I know this .

Issoudun has some wonderful attractions in town so you might want to plan to park the car early in the morning. The local shops will usually have a free map of the exact route through the city, you can use that to scout out a good viewing spot a kilometer or two from the actual finish line, then spend the day visiting Issoudun.

Here is the site that I found for wonderful things to do instead of waiting for the tour.

http://www.issoudun.fr/page.php?id=84

Bon Chance